Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Modern Merfolk

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Casual or Other Decks
LLSheep

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 8:40 pm    Post subject: Modern Merfolk Reply with quote

There was recently a Modern tournament with a bunch of interesting decks, but only a single Merfolk variant!

The deck loses a lot from Legacy: no Daze, Force of Will or Standstill. It does, however, have its entire creature base available, as well as AEther Vial!

What other cards could be used to make up the rest of the deck?

Lands!
Misty Rainforest
Mutavault
Island
Breeding Pool

Creatures!
Cursecatcher
Silvergill Adept
Coralhelm Commander
Lord of Atlantis
Merrow Reejerey
Wake Thrasher
Merfolk Sovereign

Spells?
Mana Leak
Rune Snag
AEther Vial
Spell Pierce
Mental Misstep
Threads of Disloyalty
Remand
Delay
Trickbind
Deprive
Cancel
Dream Fracture
Cryptic Command

Sideboard options?
Remove Soul
Flashfreeze
Into the Roil
Krosan Grip
Spell Snare
Spreading Seas
Relic of Progenitus

I haven't included any numbers or a starting 60 to critique and modify. This is more an exploration of the card pool available and the best approach to designing the deck.

In closing, please make your thoughts known, even if it's to say that without free counters, Merfolk has no mojo.
silverbullet

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for complementing and noting my deck. I was surprised myself since I thought it was one of the tier 1 decks. This was the deck I used in the trial:

Main Deck
1 Sword of Fire and Ice
4 Spell Pierce
4 Mana Leak
4 AEther Vial
1 Mirror Entity
4 Coralhelm Commander
3 Meddling Mage
1 Sower of Temptation
4 Silvergill Adept
4 Merrow Reejerey
4 Lord of Atlantis
4 Cursecatcher
4 Seachrome Coast
2 Scalding Tarn
1 Hallowed Fountain
3 Island
4 Misty Rainforest
4 Mutavault
4 Wanderwine Hub

Sideboard
2 Mental Misstep
2 Path to Exile
2 Echoing Truth
3 Burrenton Forge-Tender
1 Relic of Progenitus
3 Sower of Temptation
2 Ethersworn Canonist

I placed the meddling mage for some random combo deck or punishing fire combo, while the sower of temptations doubled as spot removal and a fun way to deal with hypergenesis. I've already stolen an Emrakul twice from hypergenesis players. Sick!

Ethersworn Canonist for the Elves and Hypergenesis matchup

I'm thinking of putting some Kira Glass Spinner and maybe increasing the number of Mental Missteps in the side. I lost my last game to a Path to Exile after I tapped out.

Burrenton was not so great in a Zoo filled meta, but it can serve its purpose, but i think something else can fill the spot. Reveillark/ Mirrorweave perhaps?

Mirror Entity was something my friend suggested before the trial.

No Cryptic Commands in main because I thought Spell Pierce and Mana Leak where much too important to protect my fishy friends.

1 Hallowed Fountain since the loss of life from untapping can be too much. I just opted for filters.

Now that I think about it, does Spellskite have a place in this deck?
asamodious

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

merfolk is good, but that list is janky at best.

Mage should be in the sideboard.

You should maindeck Stoneforge over it.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Casual or Other Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1