Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ad Hoc play?

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other Software
AppleofEris

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can do either. First things first, you're going to need to set up a wireless network. Judging by the fact that you know what the word ad-hoc means, you probably have already networked the two computers together. If not, tell me what OSes and network cards you're running and I can tell you how to do that as well.

To connect to your friend, simply write down each others IP addresses and input that into the "connect to opponent" option of your favorite card-game simulation software. If you don't know how to find the IP address of a computer, just go to run (assuming you're on a Windows PC), type in CMD to open up the command-line shell, and then type in ipconfig.

Personally, I like Magic Workstation, but Apprentice is okay if you're not worried about your opponent cheating.
AppleofEris

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason you had to use Hamachi back in the day was because your computer was behind a firewall, so your computer's IP address would appear to be the WAN network address of your router (Wide-Area Network, the IP address of your network on the internet, which is different than the IP address of your computer on your network. An example would be your computer's address is 192.168.1.2 while the WAN address of your network could be 184.69.4.20). Of course, you could set the router to forward the apprentice port to your computer, but a lot of people couldn't figure that out/didn't have administrative access to said router.

If they join your network, they will, in fact, get an IP address that you can connect to with Hamachi. Give it a try real quick and let me know if you have any problems.
AppleofEris

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, ad-hoc networks don't necessarily have to be internetless. Just thought I would throw that out there for anyone unfamiliar with the jargon.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other Software All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1