Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Twisted power and toughness

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Magic Rulings
Tritemio

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 3:28 am    Post subject: Twisted power and toughness Reply with quote

i have Spellskite my opponent use Twisted Image on it , it dies?

but if i had equiped my Spellskite with Sylvok Lifestaff, ti becama a 5/0 or a 4/1?
AppleofEris

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
613 Interaction of Continuous Effects

613.1. The values of an objectís characteristics are determined by starting with the actual object. For a card, that means the values of the characteristics printed on that card. For a token or a copy of a spell or card, that means the values of the characteristics defined by the effect that created it. Then all applicable continuous effects are applied in a series of layers in the following order:

613.1a Layer 1: Copy effects are applied. See rule 706, ďCopying Objects.Ē

613.1b Layer 2: Control-changing effects are applied.

613.1c Layer 3: Text-changing effects are applied. See rule 612, ďText-Changing Effects.Ē

613.1d Layer 4: Type-changing effects are applied. This includes effects that change an objectís card type, subtype, and/or supertype.

613.1e Layer 5: Color-changing effects are applied.

613.1f Layer 6: Ability-adding and ability-removing effects are applied.

613.1g Layer 7: Power- and/or toughness-changing effects are applied.

613.2. Within layers 1Ė6, apply effects from characteristic-defining abilities first (see rule 604.3), then all other effects in timestamp order (see rule 613.6). Note that dependency may alter the order in which effects are applied within a layer. (See rule 613.7.)

613.3. Within layer 7, apply effects in a series of sublayers in the order described below. Within each sublayer, apply effects in timestamp order. (See rule 613.6.) Note that dependency may alter the order in which effects are applied within a sublayer. (See rule 613.7.)

613.3a Layer 7a: Effects from characteristic-defining abilities are applied. See rule 604.3.

613.3b Layer 7b: Effects that set power and/or toughness to a specific number or value are applied.

613.3c Layer 7c: Effects that modify power and/or toughness (but donít set power and/or toughness to a specific number or value) are applied.

613.3d Layer 7d: Power and/or toughness changes from counters are applied. See rule 120.

613.3e Layer 7e: Effects that switch a creatureís power and toughness are applied. Such effects take the value of power and apply it to the creatureís toughness, and take the value of toughness and apply it to the creatureís power.

613.4. The application of continuous effects as described by the layer system is continually and automatically performed by the game. All resulting changes to an objectís characteristics are instantaneous.

613.5. If an effect should be applied in different layers and/or sublayers, the parts of the effect each apply in their appropriate ones. If an effect starts to apply in one layer and/or sublayer, it will continue to be applied to the same set of objects in each other applicable layer and/or sublayer, even if the ability generating the effect is removed during this process.

613.6. Within a layer or sublayer, determining which order effects are applied in is usually done using a timestamp system. An effect with an earlier timestamp is applied before an effect with a later timestamp.

613.6a A continuous effect generated by a static ability has the same timestamp as the object the static ability is on, or the timestamp of the effect that created the ability, whichever is later.

613.6b A continuous effect generated by the resolution of a spell or ability receives a timestamp at the time itís created.

613.6c An objectís timestamp is the time it entered the zone itís currently in, unless itís an Aura, Equipment, or Fortification thatís attached to another object or player, or itís a face-up plane card.

The equipment will modify Spellskite's power in layer 7c, then Spellskite's power and toughness get switched in layer 7e by Twisted Image, meaning Spellskite will be 4/1 when Twisted Image resolves and until end of turn.

Edit: I'm not a judge, btw, so don't believe my ruling. I'm just trying to answer this question so when a real judge does get here, they can let me know where I went wrong/right.

Edit 2: The first part of your question: Would a Twisted Image on a Spellskite that is unequipped killed it? The answer is yes.
Clariax
Level 3 Judge

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AppleofEris's response, including explanation, is entirely correct. Being a judge isn't really relevant.

If you know the answer and are sufficiently confident in your answer, then nothing wrong with answering the question. The problem isn't with "I'm not a judge..." answers, it's with "I'm not certain, but..." answers.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Magic Rulings All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1