Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Some format ideas

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic
caesarthehun

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
A couple of ideas I have had for a while now. To elaborate on the idea of conditional restriction I think it could be good to have conditional banning, for instance card A could no be played in the same deck as card B. for legacy this could include survival and vengevine. I think an idea like this would be very much based on trial and error, and would require a lot of on the ground feedback to succeed. As a magic player living in Texas, my type 1 experience is relegated to me goldfishing while I watch tv, but I do love the format. I use the conditional banning idea with both eternal formats in mind, and thinking now I am not sure it would do much to improve the type 1 player base without a major undertaking. that said it could be that players opting not to use power or the like, could have access to stronger combos or interactions that are limited to players with power; not in an effort to dumb down the real players, but to make newer ones feel like they can compete. I don't know if it would work but I think someone playing without power and having access to say 4 necropotence could be very interesting. Possibly even createing the effect were some players opt out of running some power.

I think in this part you are just name dropping shit to make yourself seem cool. Assuming by "power" you mean power nine, and using only necro survival and vengevine as cards. this means legacy players: necro, extended/legacy players: survival, and Standard/ extended players: vengevine, will all relate to your words. Although the fact is you say nothing of relevance for most of this paragraph. Conditional bannings are overcomplicated, but possible.

Quote:

Another concept I have been pondering on is the idea of what to do about extended. I think it would be really cool if say every year at worlds there is a block drawing where someone literaly draws, at random, 3 blocks from a pool, going back to the now complete ice age, and pairs that with whatever is currently available in type 2 to form a year long extended format. This would promote deckbuilding to its fullest, and would move a lot of old card stock for dealers. It would allow a lot of "old" players the opportunity to do something we have been seeking for quite some time now. the opportunity to play with cards we remember fondly. I have dreamed for years of being able to activate my thawing glaciers, and was greatly saddened when wizards didn't take the perfect opportunity to reprint it in a block taylor made for it, zendicar. the idea that i could play it competivly again gets me so excited. I would appreciate any feedback concerning these ideas as I have no one locally to discuss eternal formats with. My fnm's are dilluted with spoiler allerts and, as of this entire year, poison decks.

This is you coming up with a great idea for a format and then destroying it with the end of your paragraph. From about your shit about thawing glaciers, this just gets boring.

However, I would like to shed light on the format you presented: Good idea! Extended is quickly just becoming Standard+, so I like the idea of an old set actually coming back into play.
Arabian nights, Alliances, Fallen Empires, and Innistrad Block.....
J_R

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you obviously didnt play when necropotence was at 4. its not very interesting
Farseer
Level 3 Judge

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Some format ideas Reply with quote

Quote:
conditional restriction I think it could be good to have conditional banning, for instance card A could no be played in the same deck as card B.

I don't think this is too practical. All it's really doing is nerfing a few combos and if there are a lot of conditional bannings, then it becomes too hard for players to grok.

Quote:
I think it would be really cool if say every year at worlds there is a block drawing where someone literaly draws, at random, 3 blocks from a pool, going back to the now complete ice age, and pairs that with whatever is currently available in type 2

The problem with this is that the purpose of extended is to make cards from the standard pool relevant even when they rotate out.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1