Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

RFT minis

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Magic-League Tournaments
dikcoop

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:40 pm    Post subject: RFT minis Reply with quote

Would it be possible to rotate RFT sets every week? I notice that a lot of RFT minis get cancelled due to lack of participants. If the sets are put out every Sunday for the week, then participation should increase as players will have the opportunity to premake the decks prior to the mini. There was even a time when 2 judges were running RFT minis with different sets, and both got cancelled.

Just an idea.
ivshapiro

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like this idea. It lets a metagame develop and lets decks evolve and adapt. Also it would speed up the time it would take for RFTs to fill. I'd try to pitch your idea to Chefy or Farseer.
dikcoop

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was assuming the judges read this. Chefy had just cancelled one last night when I suggested this in the chat room. There was no responses from any of the judges so here it is.
zebo_88

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ivshapiro wrote:
I like this idea. It lets a metagame develop and lets decks evolve and adapt. Also it would speed up the time it would take for RFTs to fill. I'd try to pitch your idea to Chefy or Farseer.

agree. that sounds really good, the only thing is: was RFT thought to let a metagame evolve through a week or does it check the skills of players to recognize the environment and build good strategies in small time and without much playtesting? (i'm sorry for my bad english)
Farseer
Level 3 Judge

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alphabet minis never get cancelled. Smile
ivshapiro

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Farseer wrote:
Alphabet minis never get cancelled. Smile

Which is why you should host more Wink
warwizard87

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: RFT minis Reply with quote

dikcoop wrote:
Would it be possible to rotate RFT sets every week? I notice that a lot of RFT minis get cancelled due to lack of participants. If the sets are put out every Sunday for the week, then participation should increase as players will have the opportunity to premake the decks prior to the mini. There was even a time when 2 judges were running RFT minis with different sets, and both got cancelled.

Just an idea.

i support and endorse this product/idea.
ManaLeak

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like this idea.
Raves

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zebo_88 wrote:
ivshapiro wrote:

agree. that sounds really good, the only thing is: was RFT thought to let a metagame evolve through a week or does it check the skills of players to recognize the environment and build good strategies in small time and without much playtesting? (i'm sorry for my bad english)

I can guarantee you RFT was created to stop netdecking and to test a players deck building skills. But it was created back around 1998-99 IIRC while still using Apprentice and with a lot fewer sets.
DARKING
Level 3 Judge

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't believe what I'm reading! This actually sounds like a good idea. The problem would be having all judges agree to use the same sets for one week, but I can see each judge having his own. Definitely willing to try this.
derflippi
Level 4 Judge

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has been discussed already. I put it forth. Await a response on this weekend.
Raves

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, y'all trying to ruin my format by giving people ample time to build... lol
darkwizard42
Level 2 Judge

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a terrible idea.

#1 This encourages netdecking, which is the opposite of what RFT is. RFT is about creating a deck using your wits in 60 minutes, not netdecking someone's list from the last mini

#2 This makes RFT stale and discourages new entrants into the format. Half the players will have fully constructed tuned lists thus discouraging newer players from joining later in the week. Why build your own list when someone else has a better tuned list. Refer to point 1

While for a trial I like how we announced the sets in advance, for minis the solution is that if it doesn't fill, just reopen it at a later time. This way some returners have lists, and some new people can build. I would suggest this to any players frustrated by RFTs not filling. Encourage your judge to reopen the RFT in 6 hours or the next day and then join then.
Raves

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

darkwizard42 wrote:
This is a terrible idea.

#1 This encourages netdecking, which is the opposite of what RFT is. RFT is about creating a deck using your wits in 60 minutes, not netdecking someone's list from the last mini

#2 This makes RFT stale and discourages new entrants into the format. Half the players will have fully constructed tuned lists thus discouraging newer players from joining later in the week. Why build your own list when someone else has a better tuned list. Refer to point 1

While for a trial I like how we announced the sets in advance, for minis the solution is that if it doesn't fill, just reopen it at a later time. This way some returners have lists, and some new people can build. I would suggest this to any players frustrated by RFTs not filling. Encourage your judge to reopen the RFT in 6 hours or the next day and then join then.

It's awesome someone got the point of the format. RFT isn't about making it easy on players, it's about testing their abilities to shift through a card pool and build decks. I created the format to stop netdecking because I was tired of seeing the same decks over and over again.
dikcoop

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, what if the time period was shorter, say 1-3 days? While the whole challenging people to construct a deck in 60 minutes is fun, the reason this is coming up is not enough people join the mini's, so the mini's get cancelled and the people who did create a deck are pissed off. The more people this happens to, the less likely the next mini will fill. The current rules create more dissatisfaction than pleasure which is what created this discussion. I personally won't bother with the build your deck in the allotted time and then hope seven other players do as well tournaments. Out of the 5 or 6 I've built decks for, I've only played in one.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Magic-League Tournaments All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2