Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I need help with a mono green control deck, can anyone help?

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
New_wave

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 10:26 pm    Post subject: I need help with a mono green control deck, can anyone help? Reply with quote

ok here is the deck, if anyone can help me with it, I can't get it to win. I want to keep this mono green, so I don't really want to splash any other colors with it. Can someone tell me how I can get this deck to win without a God hand, and I will be most thankful.

So here is the deck:

16 Forest
4 Verdant Catacombs
4 Misty Rainforest

2 Thrun, the Last Troll
2 Gaea's Revenge
2 Khalni Hydra
4 Joraga Treespeaker
4 Llanowar Elves
4 Birds of Paradise
4 Arbor Elf
4 Brutalizer Exarch
2 Obstinate Baloth
4 Letherback Baloth

4 Green Sun's Zenith

Sideboard

2 Thrun, the Last troll
2 khalni Hydra
2 Obstinate Baloth
1 Vegevine
4 Beast Within
4 Melira, Sylvok Outcast

I basically have the elves and the birds of paradise for mana accerleration. And I have the zenigth for creature look up and the exarch for creature look up and control. But I am having a hard time balancing the mana cards and the big cards. I have the obstinate balath for playing against burn decks, and the troll and gaea's revenge for, against counterspell decks and control decks. I also have sylvok sideboarded for infest/poison decks. I also added the Hydras for against weenie decks even though they keep getting killed by sorcery and instant spells. I just have a hard time getting enough muscle out of this deck before my opponent takes control. Does anyone know how I could balance the muscle cards with the mana producing cards more and also help me get more critical creature placement for against diffrent kinds of control decks? Anyway, any help anyone can give me will be most wanted.
J_R

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

take out some of the mana accel you dont need that much, if u run 8 elves + 4 green sun zenith just in case u need to tutor for an elf, that should be plenty of accel.
xJudicatorx

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You really just don't have enough card quality or synergy in there. A lot of those cards (i.e. Brutalizer, Leatherback) are fine in limited but not fast or strong enough for constructed. Your mana accelerants would be fine if you had some further use for them, but you aren't playing extremely large spells and past turn 4 or 5, they are nothing more than chump blockers.

Here is a somewhat old Monogreen list more like what you are looking for:
1 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
4 Joraga Treespeaker
1 Kozilek, Butcher of Truth
4 Overgrown Battlement
4 Primeval Titan
1 Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre
2 Wurmcoil Engine

2 All Is Dust
2 Cultivate
2 Everflowing Chalice
4 Explore
3 Growth Spasm
4 Summoning Trap

4 Eldrazi Temple
1 Eye of Ugin
12 Forest
4 Khalni Garden
1 Mystifying Maze
4 Tectonic Edge

Sideboard:
1 All Is Dust
2 Nature's Claim
3 Obstinate Baloth
2 Pelakka Wurm
1 Platinum Emperion
2 Ratchet Bomb
3 Terastodon
1 Wurmcoil Engine

Some nice additions from NPH might be Beast Within, Karn Released, and Corrosive Gale.
New_wave

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 10:28 am    Post subject: Ok, I got some ideas here Reply with quote

Alright,thanks for the help to those that posted on my thread. I was really looking to see if someone could repost my deck with more mana-to-large creature sinergy, but I will take everyones tips with a grain of salt in trying to figure out my deck.
Mitchmachine

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Green isn't the colour to be control, it will allways be a midrange deck, since you will have no ''good'' draw spells/boardsweepers/spot removal/counterspells
The things that make a control deck viable
magicman85

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If u want to play mono green i would suggest elves. Your midrange green just wont be a top t2 deck because it has no meta game.

For players that dont really have 4 of every card in the set, your best bet is to make a 2 color deck so u have twice the amount of cards to choose from without having to use that many nonbasic lands.
AppleofEris

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you play in a mostly-red meta, then Leatherback Baloth is key.
Shadowkai

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pplease remove gayass revenge I really dislike that bad card
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1