Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Spellskite

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Magic Rulings
Tritemio

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 10:25 am    Post subject: Spellskite Reply with quote

Can I change the equip ability of the sword on my Spellskite ?
MassO

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can, but it will only equip to your spellskite if you own the equipment.

If you don't own the equipment then it would be an illegal target and would resolve without anything happening.
xJudicatorx

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can target the spell or ability even if spellskite would not be a legal target - it simply wouldn't do anything. So you can pay 2 life to target a Mana Leak for instance, but since Spellskite isn't a legal target, the target wouldn't actually be changed.
xJudicatorx

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct. Mana leak is a spell so it is a legal target of the ability, but it's target can't be changed to a permanent so it will resolve as normal barring other effects.
Tritemio

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

uhmmm but can i change the target of any kind of Aura enchant?
Hardtrack

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can activate the ability targetting any Aura spell. Assuming the Aura can enchant Spellskite, its target will be changed to the Spellkite.
chakal-PT

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

I have a couple of questions too.

If Spellskite was an illegal target, does spells like "Go for the Throat" have effect on it?

About spells with multiple targets, do I have to pay 2life/U for each one?

Thanks for your help!
Hardtrack

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully this answers everything. This is the official Wizards of the Coast FAQ about Spellskite.

* You can activate Spellskite's ability even if Spellskite wouldn't be a legal target for the spell or ability. However, the target of that spell or ability will remain unchanged.

* If changing one target of a spell or ability to Spellskite would make other targets of that spell or ability illegal, the targets remain unchanged.

* If the spell or ability has multiple instances of the word "target," you choose which target you're changing to Spellskite when Spellskite's ability resolves.

* By activating Spellskite's ability multiple times, you can change each target of a spell or ability with multiple instances of the word "target" to Spellskite, one at a time.

* The target of the spell or ability won't change unless Spellskite fulfills all the targeting criteria, even if multiple instances of the word "target" are used. For example, you can't change both targets of Arc Trail to Spellskite.

* If a spell or ability has multiple targets but doesn't use the word "target" multiple times, such as Fulgent Distraction, you can only successfully change one of the targets to Spellskite.

* If a spell or ability has a variable number of targets, you can't change the number of targets.

* If Spellskite leaves the battlefield before its ability resolves, the targets remain unchanged.

Additional conclusions from the above are:

* You CAN redirect the equip ability of an equipment you control to a Spellskite you control.

* You CAN NOT redirect the equip ability of an equipment your opponent controls to a Spellskite you control.
chakal-PT

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!

I had miss-understood your previous post! I thought that you were confirming that you could change any target to spellskite even if it was an illegal target, and in that case, the spell simply doesn't resolve at all...

Really overpowered that way! LOL

Nevermind man! My bad!

Anyway, Your last post answer any possible question about spellskite!
Thanks
Aditeojr

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

114.6a If an effect allows a player to "change the target(s)" of a spell or ability, each target can be changed only to another legal target. If a target can't be changed to another legal target, the original target is unchanged, even if the original target is itself illegal by then. If all the targets aren't changed to other legal targets, none of them are changed.

That means that when u change targets, the new target must be legal.

608.2b If the spell or ability specifies targets, it checks whether the targets are still legal. A target that’s no longer in the zone it was in when it was targeted is illegal. Other changes to the game state may cause a target to no longer be legal; for example, its characteristics may have changed or an effect may have changed the text of the spell. If the source of an ability has left the zone it was in, its last known information is used during this process. The spell or ability is countered if all its targets, for every instance of the word “target,” are now illegal. If the spell or ability is not countered, it will resolve normally. However, if any of its targets are illegal, the part of the spell or ability’s effect for which it is an illegal target can’t perform any actions on that target or make that target perform any actions. The effect may still determine information about illegal targets, though, and other parts of the effect for which those targets are not illegal may still affect them.

This means that after you changed targets, you can give spellskite shroud to save it.
Tritemio

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An other question

my opponent have Splinter Twin , i use destroy enchant by Nature's Claim, can him deflect on Spellskite ? I say that isn't an enchantment, and i play Nature's Clain choosing enchantment.
Hardtrack

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't choose anything for Nature's Claim, it can always target either an artifact or an enchantment. So yes, he can change the target to Spellkite.

Only if the spell is modal (like Hull Breach) do you 'set' the target to either an artifact or an enchantment (or both in the case of Hull Breach).
Tritemio

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 2 more question about it

1. can i change the two target of Arc Trail on my Spellskite ?

2. Inferno Titan choose 3 different target to make 1+1+1 damages, can i do the same?
Hardtrack

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) Arc Trail must target two different creatures/players. So you can never change more than one target to Spellskite.

2) If the damage is split over three targets it must stay that way. So again, you can only change one of the targets to Spellskite.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Magic Rulings All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2