Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Need advice for Friday night magic

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Limited
cogdill

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 3:58 pm    Post subject: Need advice for Friday night magic Reply with quote

Hello, tomorrow night im going to a FNM and i guess the store owner is going to let the players (first come first serve) pick 6 packs from Type 2. i dont think he will have any worldwake but what packs would you suggest i choose? if they have wwk and if they dont. i havent drafted wwk much at all so im not too sure if its good in limited i just thought it would be cool to pull a jace and play it in my sealed deck Razz Advice guys? thx in advance
Duodax

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

6x MBS obviously.
cogdill

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

could you elaborate on your answer? my buddy said thats what hes doing cause he wants sword of fnf. i diddnt think it would be the best idea even tho it would be really nice to get a sword
magicman85

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think MBS has the most good rares for sealed especially with the Zeniths in a 40 card deck, not a lot of bad land rares (only Contested Warzone), and some decent uncommons like Phyrexian Juggernaut, Corrupted Conscience, Piston Sledge, Vedalken Anatomist.

M11 has really nice mythics with the titans and planeswalkers, but I think a lot of the rares are kind of weak in limited decks like Birds of Paradise, Captivating Vampire, Dark Tutelage, Destructive Force, the Dual Lands, Elvish Archdruid, Goblin Chieftain, Haunting Echoes, the list goes on...

SOM I'm just not that impressed with at all. So I would say go MBS for the consistency or if you feel like you are going to pull 2-3 mythics go M11.
Jeyo

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would go Zendikar. Not only did it have a fast limited format, overpowering opponents with landfall strategies, it has good removal in common for red and black, with whiplash trap serving as a pretty decent tempo card in blue. White and Green have decent tricks as well, wth Journey to Nowhere being a solid removal spell, and artifact hate with stuff like Kor Sanctifiers, Relic Crush, and Baloth Cage Trap available in those two colours. Zendikar is well positioned to battle Scars block cards, having both cheap, efficient creatures that outclass a lot of Scars block creatures, and a generous amount of creature removal and hate against artifacts. Also, despite its inevitable rotation from Standard, you stand a reasonable chance at pulling fetchlands, which are certain to hold alot of playability value, hence desirability and overall value, because of how central a good manabase is to competitive decks. Fetches are at there best in older formats outside of Standard anyway, like in Legacy and Vintage where they can grab duals and shocklands, and they are also a staple for Commander where they get you any color mana you need when combined with the appropriate dual/shock. I expect the value of fetchlands to climb the older Zendikar becomes, and would advise getting them as cheaply as you can now, because added generations of players will affect their scarcity and value.
rdeg87

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest going here and generating a couple of sealed pools yourself.
http://www.ccgdecks.com/sealed_gen.php

You neednt bother building the decks but it'll give you a feel for the quality of the boosters. Intuitivly I would also say 6xMBS due to the high rate of bomb rares and bomb uncommons, I know when drafting its rare to open a booster without either a great rare or Corrupted Conscience, Mortipod or Kuldotha Flamefiend. Also many players may not chose Shards block leaving them lacking in artifact removal
But maybe as Jeyo suggested you could just get aggro'd out by Zendikar.
Stay well away from M11 whatever you do. Also worth considering is going 6xSoM as it could leave you with a pretty bomby poison deck

Edit: Following my own advice I strongly suggest not going 6xMBS. The rares and Uncommons may be great but the commons are just too weak to support a good deck
P_P4E

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the FNM prize structure isn't one where winning is the end all be all. I would go with whatever has the aggregate highest return on investment.

My guess would be Rise of Eldrazi, since it has Gideon (highest non-jace non tezz card), vengevine, splinter twin, and has some decent uncommons in inquisition and wall of omens, among others.

Also it's out of print and is actually one of the better draft sets in recent history, so you COULD win with first picking from it.
cogdill

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks very much for everyones advice from what u guys said im gunna mix it up and maybe get a couple of each mbs, zen,rise and see whats happens mbs for bombs, zen for fetches, and rise cause i diddnt know theyre out of print and one of those cards would be nice to get especially gideon. thx again for the help guys
cogdill

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i ended up choosing 4x mbs 1x m11 1x rise i opened a phyrexian rebirth, sword of vengance the 2 best cards i had. decided to play UBW had a couple blk removals and a lot of blue and white flyers ended up going 3-2, placed 8th out of 26. probly should of stuck to 2 colors but was afraid of lack of removal to stabilize. but thank you very much for your advice i had a fun night. crazy fnm lol the store owner had to turn down like 10 ppl after the 26
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Limited All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1