Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Duress, Inquisition and Despise

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic
WhoamI

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 1:03 pm    Post subject: Duress, Inquisition and Despise Reply with quote

When running a deck that really wants to play a combination of these three discard spells has anyone figured out the appropriate numbers of each?

I have tried many but cant seem to work it ou

4 Inquisition and 4 Despise

4 Inquisition 2 Despise 2 Duress

4 Despise 2 Inquisition 2 Duress?

Your thoughts?
magicman85

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4 Mire's Toll imo
WhoamI

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

magicman85 wrote:
4 Mire's Toll imo

rofl, any other thoughts?
Kabelis

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try out horrifying revelations. I herd they screw up scry effects. TAKE THAT, PREORDAIN!

Honestly, I think 4 IoK, and 2-3 despise feels like a correct ratio. Duress feels more like a SB card at this point

Last edited by Kabelis on Thu May 05, 2011 2:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
J_R

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

depends on the deck
Miqo

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 1:48 pm    Post subject: . Reply with quote

None of the above. In the current format I'd play 4 duress and work from there. It hits the most format-defining money card. It still gets rid of swords which Inquisition can do but Despise can't. Despise is also close to always dead versus Twin, a deck that sees a lot of play in the current format. Overall I think Duress is the best choice of these cards against the majority of matchups.

Last edited by Miqo on Thu May 05, 2011 1:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
WhoamI

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: . Reply with quote

Miqu wrote:
None of the above. In the current format I'd play 4 duress and work from there. It hits the most format-defining money card and still gets rid of swords which Inquisition can do but Despise can't do. Despise is also close to always dead versus Twin, a deck that sees a lot of play in the current format. Overall I think Duress is the best choice of these cards against the majority of matchups.

Despise dead vs twin? It takes away half of the combo how is that dead?
Miqo

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: . Reply with quote

WhoamI wrote:

Despise dead vs twin? It takes away half of the combo how is that dead?

Assuming you play it turn one while they can't just flash the exarch in, it only hits a single card in their deck *if* they have it in their starting hand. They don't need to seeing the amount of card advantage and selection present in the deck. If they instead start with a Splinter Twin and a bunch of draw spells / removal in hand you're going to get nothing with your Despise. Lategame a topdecked Despise can also be answered, as mentioned before, by flashing the target card in. Just doesn't appeal that much to me.

Duress hits the other half but its possibilities don't end there btw. Clearly superior against this deck which is what I was saying.
rupus

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IoK hits basically everything that matters in the Twin deck except of course the twin. It also snags hawks, mystics, swords, cantrips etc. IMO IoK should get the 4 of slot. IoK is probably the best in terms of robbing your opponent of tempo and duress is probably best for clearing the way to resolve your big spells. Despise initially looks good but I'm not sure if it's really better than the other two.
BuckyCat

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in agreement with Miqu. I actually like duress as the main discard because it hits planeswalkers, swords, and various stuff from splintertwin. Inquisition of Kozelik would be my secondary choice, as it is good against aggro and cawblade, basically anything with an abundance of important small drops. I'm not sure how good Despise is yet. If you're playing black, your removal should be enough to handle any creature inquisition can't hit, and duress takes care of walkers and disruption.

I like 4 duress 3 inquisition, maybe Despise sb if you really want to load up on 1 for 1 discard.

Just my thoughts.
Bigshow

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it depends on the deck, if it's a disruption deck I'd do 3 inquisition 1 duress and 1 despise.
KnowN

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would play Inquisition and Despise. inquisition can hit 90% of the cards that you would choose with duress and despise gets the planeswalkers and bigger creatures.
P_P4E

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO despise and duress are close in power level, but inqui is really what you want to be doing as a 4 of. If you want 6, then you have to adress your needs from there.

If playing beatdown, I would play duress in order to take Day and gideon and black zenith, etc.... If playing control I would play despise to take titans and jaces.

Despise might be the most overrated card in the new set.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1