Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Draft Tournament! Success :)

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic
cogdill

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 1:35 pm    Post subject: Draft Tournament! Success :) Reply with quote

Hey Magic-League, Last night in #draft4you I held a draft tournament where the winner would receive a mythic rare! The tournament was a great success was very exciting with great games played, I know because the rounds took awhile :p I want to again thank all the players that participated and I look forward to many more tournaments like these. Congratulations to Jeyo for winning the grand opening!!!

(for any info regarding future tournaments please feel free to message me im still hammering out details)
GreenBear

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neat would be cool if you could post the winning decks or something.
cogdill

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if jeyo is willing to do that sure, i just diddnt wanna do it for him
Weedmonkey

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As much as it is appreciated that the community takes initiative to go after what they want, there are a number of issues with regular players attempting to run 'tournaments':

1. At a bare minimum, judges are responsible for handling all rulings in their tournaments. Without a judge, there is no guarantee that there will be anyone available to handle rulings that arise.

2. Magic-League judges are accountable for their actions within a tournament, and if they are unable to fulfill their duties they can transfer operation of the tournament to another judge. Regular players attempting to hold 'tournaments' do not have the same accountability, and if they disappear for whatever reason the tournament stalls.

3. If a player in a 'tournament' held by a regular player has an issue with the player running it, there is little path for recourse other than banning them. The issue with this is that the person may only be doing what they believe is best, without any malicious intent. They don't have the training or knowledge that judges have behind them.

4. Players (especially new ones) can be confused about a 'tournament' if a regular player is running one. If a player has a negative experience, they may draw misconceptions about Magic-League as a whole.

The bottom line is that we frown on players running their own 'tournaments' because it circumvents the checks and balances we have in place for the tournament system that Magic-League runs through its judges. While it is understandable that players may feel disgruntled that there aren't enough tournaments around, we also encourage players to study for and pass the judge test so that they can run tournaments to their heart's content.
Tapater

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

The tourny was awesome. Sucks we cant have them anymore. Here is my list. I was in the finals against Jeyo. He crushed me XD

// Lands
8 [UG] Swamp
9 [UG] Forest

// Creatures
1 [NPH] Pith Driller
1 [NPH] Whispering Specter
1 [NPH] Melira, Sylvok Outcast
2 [NPH] Mycosynth Fiend
1 [NPH] Rotted Hystrix
1 [MBS] Blightwidow
1 [MBS] Core Prowler
2 [MBS] Scourge Servant
3 [MBS] Rot Wolf
1 [SOM] Sylvok Replica
2 [SOM] Cystbearer

// Spells
1 [NPH] Grim Affliction
1 [MBS] Bonehoard
1 [MBS] Spread the Sickness
1 [MBS] Morbid Plunder
1 [MBS] Lead the Stampede
1 [SOM] Genesis Wave
1 [SOM] Asceticism

// Sideboard
SB: 1 [NPH] Whipflare
SB: 1 [NPH] Spined Thopter
SB: 2 [NPH] Chained Throatseeker
SB: 1 [NPH] Pestilent Souleater
SB: 1 [NPH] Shriek Raptor
SB: 1 [NPH] Razor Swine
SB: 1 [MBS] Kuldotha Ringleader
SB: 2 [MBS] Phyresis
SB: 1 [SOM] Horizon Spellbomb
SB: 1 [SOM] Blight Mamba
SB: 1 [SOM] Withstand Death
SB: 1 [SOM] Melt Terrain
SB: 1 [SOM] Carapace Forger
SB: 1 [SOM] Furnace Celebration
SB: 1 [SOM] Ichorclaw Myr
SB: 1 [SOM] Myr Reservoir
SB: 1 [SOM] Screeching Silcaw
Jeyo

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

// Lands
1 [UG] Island
1 [UG] Forest
8 [UG] Mountain
6 [UG] Plains

// Creatures
1 [NPH] Blinding Souleater
1 [NPH] Thundering Tanadon
1 [NPH] Immolating Souleater
1 [NPH] Spined Thopter
1 [MBS] Rusted Slasher
1 [MBS] Pierce Strider
1 [MBS] Peace Strider
1 [MBS] Myr Sire
1 [MBS] Spin Engine
1 [SOM] Barrage Ogre
1 [SOM] Kuldotha Forgemaster

// Spells
1 [NPH] Volt Charge
1 [NPH] Artillerize
1 [NPH] Dispatch
1 [NPH] Mycosynth Wellspring
1 [MBS] Mortarpod
1 [MBS] Red Sun's Zenith
1 [MBS] Ichor Wellspring
2 [SOM] Galvanic Blast
1 [SOM] Turn to Slag
1 [SOM] Origin Spellbomb
1 [SOM] Panic Spellbomb
1 [SOM] Necrogen Censer

// Sideboard
SB: 8 [UG] Island
SB: 5 [UG] Forest
SB: 2 [UG] Plains
SB: 1 [NPH] Leeching Bite
SB: 1 [NPH] Corrosive Gale
SB: 1 [NPH] Exclusion Ritual
SB: 1 [NPH] Auriok Survivors
SB: 1 [NPH] Flameborn Viron
SB: 1 [NPH] Soul Conduit
SB: 2 [MBS] Concussive Bolt
SB: 1 [MBS] Razorfield Rhino
SB: 1 [MBS] Spire Serpent
SB: 1 [MBS] Fuel for the Cause
SB: 1 [MBS] Hexplate Golem
SB: 1 [SOM] Necrogen Scudder
SB: 1 [SOM] Trigon of Mending
SB: 1 [SOM] Abuna Acolyte
SB: 1 [SOM] Flight Spellbomb
SB: 1 [SOM] Whitesun's Passage
SB: 1 [SOM] Fulgent Distraction
SB: 3 [UG] Swamp
cogdill

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mean deck man
TraxDaMax

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soo..
I ended up getting Karn for free, and fed in red pretty good aswell. Here's what happened

// Deck file for Magic Workstation (http://www.magicworkstation.com)

// Lands
7 [UG] Forest
10 [UG] Mountain

// Creatures
1 [NPH] Moltensteel Dragon
1 [NPH] Ogre Menial
1 [NPH] Glistener Elf
1 [NPH] Death-Hood Cobra
1 [MBS] Blightwidow
1 [MBS] Glissa's Courier
1 [MBS] Phyrexian Juggernaut
1 [MBS] Kuldotha Ringleader
1 [MBS] Tangle Mantis
1 [SOM] Oxidda Scrapmelter
1 [SOM] Cystbearer
1 [SOM] Kuldotha Phoenix
1 [SOM] Silver Myr
1 [SOM] Copper Myr
1 [SOM] Tel-Jilad Fallen

// Spells
1 [NPH] Karn Liberated
1 [NPH] Whipflare
2 [NPH] Leeching Bite
1 [MBS] Red Sun's Zenith
1 [MBS] Pistus Strike
1 [SOM] Arc Trail
1 [SOM] Panic Spellbomb

// Sideboard
SB: 1 [MBS] Kuldotha Ringleader
SB: 1 [NPH] Artillerize
SB: 1 [NPH] Triumph of the Hordes
SB: 1 [NPH] Trespassing Souleater
SB: 1 [NPH] Insatiable Souleater
SB: 1 [NPH] Vault Skirge
SB: 1 [NPH] Evil Presence
SB: 1 [MBS] Inkmoth Nexus
SB: 1 [MBS] Metallic Mastery
SB: 1 [MBS] Rally the Forces
SB: 1 [MBS] Magnetic Mine
SB: 2 [MBS] Frantic Salvage
SB: 2 [SOM] Oxidda Daredevil
SB: 1 [SOM] Lumengrid Drake
SB: 1 [SOM] Bloodshot Trainee
SB: 1 [SOM] Assault Strobe
SB: 1 [SOM] Turn Aside

For some weird reason I picked Inkmoth Nexus high, and then totally forgot to put it in my deck, so I was sideboarding it in for a mountain in all games Smile
Glissa's came out for a 14th pick Vault Skirge (is it normal to go so late?)

So bombs were RSZ, the two dragons(4/4 fliers are dragons -.- ) and Karn. And my package of infect and removal was ok too so yeah. Smile

btw, in the draft the first two cards I had were
Moltensteel Dragon and Karn Liberated. I had a pretty safe feeling throughtout the draft heh.
ishocrone

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Players should be allowed to run their own minis and tourneys. weedmonkey You make valid points but they are very weak. all of them could be argued second it's not an official mini. So your basis of there is no judges to handle rulings thats where the players would duke it out im sure that they would come to a common agreement. If a person was to say have a casual mini and left im sure that someone would be more than happy to fill in the spot its not like its going to cause mass chaos its a CASUAL mini anyways. for your 3rd argument and first argument there is google where you can find almost any ruling and that leads back to having the players duke it out to find a common resolution i mean your acting like we are 12 years old with no common sense. ( I take that back most of us don't but you understand the point) Your last point i argue that it would draw more people to play on m-l...... will write more but this is bout to get locked or deleted Smile
Weedmonkey

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then you might as well create your own league at that point. You're using Magic-League resources and players, and then trying to run 'tournaments' that have nothing to do with Magic-League.

And yes, all of my points could be argued, but they have already been argued to death in the past when topics similar to this have come up. Just because there are points for and against do not make them weak - you only see them as weak because you are choosing to ignore the checks and balances the current judge/tournament system has. If you want to ignore accountability and responsibility, then Magic-League should not have any judges at all.
dikcoop

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I actually agree with Weedmonkey on this topic, however as a player who prefers limited, drafts get the shaft when it comes to mini's. If drafting got more love from the judges, then maybe this wouldn't have happened in the first place.

Compromises:
No prize, no whining. Treat 3 round unofficial drafts the same way normal single round drafts are treated with people agreeing to play a second round, and sometimes even a third round. Take away the prize and the difference between the two are nil. If two people want to play league, let them. If they want to cas, fine.

There's a very healthy draft community here, and while nammfoodle is now a judge and was promising more draft mini's, I personally have yet to see one.
Burton911

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well to be honest i dont care about the topic, but your reply is hillarious Weedmonkey Very Happy

Its like an WotC offical saying:
"Hey yo Magic League, that thing you have going on err ... just stop it its not cool dude"

just saying

Last edited by Burton911 on Thu May 05, 2011 2:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Weedmonkey

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
No prize, no whining. Treat 3 round unofficial drafts the same way normal single round drafts are treated with people agreeing to play a second round, and sometimes even a third round. Take away the prize and the difference between the two are nil. If two people want to play league, let them. If they want to cas, fine.

The only issue is with the advertisement and the label of it being a 'tournament'. Players agreeing to play multiple rounds in a draft on their own without calling it a tournament is fine Smile
cogdill

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason that got me wanting to do it is to be able to award prizes... add incentive to people wanting to draft. but this seems like a lost cause Sad honestly i was never trying to circumvent any systems in place.. i just wanted to make the draft a little more exciting figured people would be pumped to try and win a prize for free. im just going to stop for now i guess.. its too much hassle now that i cant post ip in the channel or nething. but it was hella fun at the run we had guys and thanks again for everyone who played in the 2 drafts Smile the ones we did went smooth as butter lol
Farseer
Level 3 Judge

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bumpdate.

Recent suggestion from a player about something similar.

Perhaps players could donate to ML or the prize could be for an ML mini with a player sponsored prize (somehow making sure that the prize was in escrow or something?)
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1