Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

UR Twin solved

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
KnowN

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jacois wrote:
Figured I'd update and say I smashed another UR Twin and beat it handily. Then I got absolutely smashed by Tempered Steel. *Whew* That's a rough matchup. Any other advice for that matchup specifically? I'm not really sure what to do about it tbh. :S

I would add Black or White, the dual lands won't slow you down much.
mishimakaz

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure who is trolling who, but this thread is hilarious.
Keep it up Jacois!
Shooter
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you beat the Pyro part of PyroTwin?
Jacois

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shooter wrote:
How do you beat the Pyro part of PyroTwin?

4 Trinkets and 1 Hex Parasite. 3 more Parasites in the board, though I have to admit that's probably overkill.

Russell_Nash wrote:
I like your logic. When a deck is dominating a meta, bring something that smashes it and has decent game against the rest of the field.

That being said I feel like this deck needs some tuning. Here are some things I would look at:

*4unsummon/4vapor snag seem excessive especially all in the main. Into the roil is much more solid. For just a colorless more you can target any permanent and when you get 4 mana it cantrips. Its mid/late game value smashes the tempo value of unsummon and vapor snag.
* Jace Beleren. You run 16 3cc spells and 0 4cc. That should be reason enough to swap these out for Jace TMS.
*Jin-Gitaxias. This thing costs 10 mana. I just see this card being dead in your hand most of the time unless its accompanied by 1 of the 5 cards (caged sun/treasure mages) required to cast it.
*Spellskite seems like a champ for this deck. I think this card is a sleeper. Its quite a unique card and is going to take some people by surprise.

I donít doubt this deck with wreck Twin decks, but I feel like you might be putting too much focus on this matchup at the cost of the overall strength of the deck.

Thx a lot for the advice! I added 1 Jin-Gitaxias for hilarity's sake. I still haven't been able to cast it. Once against MGC I had the Suncage out and my opponent got rid of it with a Spine is Ish Sah. I was pissed, next turn Jin-Gitaxias was coming down! I'll probably just swap him out for a Mindslaver.

My problem with Into the Roil is its casting cost. I know that may sound silly, but it really isn't. I know a lot of you are posting on this thread and laughing at all the Unsummons, but really in my matches no one ever expects them. Although the #'s will eventually have to get a little more realistic to be taken seriously, I challenge you to give the deck a shot and then tell me what you think of Unsummon. I absolutely LOVE how cheap and versatile it is. I did make an adjustment to the board adding 4 Into the Roils, but I still have the 8 Unsummons main cause I'm a nut.

As far as Jace is concerned, he's just cheaper and if I'm going to be in a Jace war I want mine coming down first. Yes, I agree, Jace the MS is great, but I think the cheaperness of the 1UU Jace is just better. I know there's a lot of 3 drops, but taking out 3 drops for 4 drops doesn't really make sense to me. I mean, just "pretend" the Treasure Mages cost 4, but I can play them for 3 mana. Done. I know this kind of twisted logic is lost on most people, but it makes sense to me. Besides, after laying a 3 drop turn 3, I like to lay another 3 drop turn 4 with U up for Unsummon, obv. Wink

I totally agree that I'm extremely focused on Twin. I am not ashamed to admit that I just kept losing to Twin over and over. I eventually just copied Tel's Twin deck from the last trial (He beat me in R3) and playtested it for a bit. The deck is extremely powerful and VERY difficult to disrupt. Given the massive amount it is currently being played, fuck yeah, I'll cut the power level of my deck to almost guarantee I win 50% of my matchups, sure. I'd be crazy not to.

Engrishskill wrote:
I think part of the strategy is using early turns to tempo people with unsummon effects because most decks that are popular get time walked by them early. I have no idea how good it is in practice; just saying.

Big Jace is a tough call because even with decks that are all about the late game, copies of jtms get sided-out in some matches. JB is actually going to be drawing more against the aggro decks that can kill him and so on. That's just how the irrational hate of jtms works. Beleren also stuffs Caw's JtMS.

The deck might get something out of a faster creature for pressure. No clue how to make room or anything, but something that you could ride to victory pretty fast if you are playing off of the top and your opponent has to peel removal. I can see splinterascension players turtling and wasting too much burn on one thing, or the other, and so on and so forth...

Well, the thing I'm coming back to that might not be very obv is how fast this deck can be. It can whip down a Wurmcoil turn 4 potentially, turn 5 most likely, and the cheap bounce are just little time walks to get the ball rollin. Once a Wurm hits it's just gg cause it can't be targetted because of the Skite. It's just silly tbh. I usually board out the Jace's for more Trisk's and Wurms against aggro. But hey, I can accept that I don't have good aggro matchups. I mean come on, I'm Mono blue. If Aggro doesn't have an edge against me than there's a big problem with Standard.

Only chumps use Aggro anyways. I'm more concerned with good players using Caw or Twin. Yes, this deck has a decent game against Caw. It's not overwhelmingly in my favour or anything, I'm not saying that, but it's a good matchup that I feel comfortable getting paired against.

*whew* This is fun! Very Happy Thanks for all the comments thus far.
Jacois

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just lost to Dv8r 1-2 using Mono green Eldrazi Ramp. I lost g3 because I was stuck with a hand of 2 Spines, 1 Wurm and a Triskelion with 3 Lands. Also Hex Parasite was just destroying my life total when I kept removing counters from his Joraga Treespeakers. It rarely happens that I get stuck on land, but if it starts to happen more often I'll consider some Preordains.

I'm going to try drawing from now and and see if that improves my game. I like the idea of laying an island on the draw, my opponent lays a Hawk, or a Stoneforge, and I Unsummon or Vapour Snag it, untap and lay a skite, next turn Architect. Bammo. I'll let you know how this little experiment works (amazingly I bet).
MassO

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jacois wrote:
Figured I'd update and say I smashed another UR Twin and beat it handily. Then I got absolutely smashed by Tempered Steel. *Whew* That's a rough matchup. Any other advice for that matchup specifically? I'm not really sure what to do about it tbh. :S

All is Dust may be needed, it hurts you as well, but there isn't anything in blue to handle tempered steel.
Brewfox
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jacois wrote:
I just lost to Dv8r 1-2 using Mono green Eldrazi Ramp. I lost g3 because I was stuck with a hand of 2 Spines, 1 Wurm and a Triskelion with 3 Lands. Also Hex Parasite was just destroying my life total when I kept removing counters from his Joraga Treespeakers. It rarely happens that I get stuck on land, but if it starts to happen more often I'll consider some Preordains.

This always seems like the problem when you build a deck to beat 1 specific matchup. Of course it will do well against the deck you're building to beat, but it's sub-par against the rest of the field. Pyrotwin isn't being played by even close to 30% of players, so it doesn't seem worth it to build a deck specifically against it.
tchiseen

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been seeing you getting results in minis with this deck Jacois, good for you for persisting.

I've been a big fan of mono blue from around when Ali top-8'd something a while back. He then cut big jaces from his list and promptly killed the deck, scrubbing out of the next event (gp atl i think). I think the deck has potential with NPH. Trinket+Hex Parasite just seems pretty strong. There's so many ways to build the deck, it's hard to say what's right and what's wrong.

One of the latest iterations you played looks something like this:

4 Halimar Depths
    14 Island
    2 Scalding Tarn
    2 Misty Rainforest
    4 Grand Architect
    4 Enclave Cryptologist
    4 Augury Owl
    4 Lodestone Golem
    4 Spellskite
    4 Spined Thopter
    2 Jin-Gitaxias, Core Augur
    4 Preordain
    4 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
    4 Caged Sun

How are Lodestone Golems working out for you? In my testing I never really liked them that much. Also, how often are you casting multiple Caged Suns?

I like treasure mage in these lists a lot; it taps for mana and fetches game-winners. If you're having trouble with aggro, try getting Contagion Engines. If you're having trouble with valakut/control get more mindslavers. Wurmcoil engine is also pretty fair if you can consistently get it early enough to be relevant.

I don't like Jin-Gitaxis at all right now in this list. I would be looking at cutting them for Blue Suns Zeniths, especially if you're using caged suns. I also don't really like having 4 cryptologists. they're terrible against aggro, and without proliferate they take too long to get online. They're very good against control, they're like little jaces, but for how bad they are against aggro i'd rather have something else.

Personally I like Trinket+Treasure that get you a single triskelion+basilisk collar. Contagion Engine works really well once you assemble the combo and provides basically a soft lock against any creature decks.

or you could just run mindslavers like ali.

I might also think about cutting spined thopters/augury owls for trinket/treasure mages and some targets. I think the list performs better as a midrange/control deck rather than beatdown, so having the utility is nice. Also, you're missing one of my favourite cards in everflowing chalice.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2