Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

UR Twin solved

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
Jacois

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 10:23 am    Post subject: UR Twin solved Reply with quote

Alrighty, since ML is the only place for people to realistically play with NPH, Magic-league is officially THE meta with NPH. The fact that any of you have even heard of Twin combo is a direct result of it being made and played here on ML, so all you naysayers who say, "ML is meaningless", can just ignore this thread.

UR Twin combo is extremely good. If you can't beat Twin, you can't win a mini let alone a trial. With this in mind, (and Cawblade at the back of my mind), I eventually developed this monstrosity. I don't expect much longevity from this deck, but at the moment it crushes Twin and has good game otherwise.

Feel free to give this deck a shot. I see no point in keeping this a secret, as I already know it wins and that most people will ignore me and just play Twin, which is exactly what I want.

// NAME: Siamese Twins

// Lands
24 [NPH] Island (1)
1 [NPH] Phyrexia's Core

// Creatures
4 [NPH] Spellskite
4 [SOM] Grand Architect
4 [MBS] Treasure Mage
4 [SOM] Trinket Mage
1 [NPH] Jin-Gitaxias, Core Augur
1 [NPH] Hex Parasite
1 [M11] Triskelion
1 [SOM] Wurmcoil Engine

// Spells
4 [M11] Unsummon
4 [NPH] Vapor Snag
4 [M11] Jace Beleren
1 [NPH] Caged Sun
1 [M11] Elixir of Immortality
1 [MBS] Spine of Ish Sah

// Sideboard
SB: 3 [NPH] Hex Parasite
SB: 2 [M11] Triskelion
SB: 2 [SOM] Wurmcoil Engine
SB: 3 [M11] Elixir of Immortality
SB: 1 [MBS] Spine of Ish Sah
SB: 4 [NPH] Phyrexian Metamorph

Spellskite breaks Twin and protects your Grand Architect and Jace. 8 Unsummons also wreck the Twin combo, as well as just bouncing early opposition before slamming down a Wurmcoil, Trisk, or Caged Sun.

That's the deck. Enjoy.
JeZeus

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol, Magic-league didn't invent Splinter twin, and it is certainly not how the majority of people heard about it.. If you live under a rock and have never looked at extended or read any of Patrick Chapin's articles. . then yea maybe this was your first time. Talk about swollen ego.

The deck and combo is pretty cool and quite powerful, but why don't we give credit where and when credit is due??

(don't forget about pestermite)

As for your list, looks like a cool hybrid Architect list. Although, is Vapor snag and Unsummon really any good? Are there no better cards you could use? On a sidenote, Torpor orb deck sounds promising if unrelated
Jacois

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JeZeus wrote:
Lol, Magic-league didn't invent Splinter twin, and it is certainly not how the majority of people heard about it.. If you live under a rock and have never looked at extended or read any of Patrick Chapin's articles. . then yea maybe this was your first time. Talk about swollen ego.

The deck and combo is pretty cool and quite powerful, but why don't we give credit where and when credit is due??

(don't forget about pestermite)

As for your list, looks like a cool hybrid Architect list. Although, is Vapor snag and Unsummon really any good? Are there no better cards you could use? On a sidenote, Torpor orb deck sounds promising if unrelated

You're an idiot. Pester twin was already well known and everyone came up with the current twin as soon as they saw Deceiver Exarch. My point was that it is only played on ML because this is the only place it can be played at. So obv everything everyone knows about the deck is from here. Who gives a shit that Chapin wrote an article about a combo everyone knew about as soon as they saw the card. Geez.
WhoamI

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah. You can beat one deck in a changing Meta. Sure this deck would do well at any tournament.

BTW- You are a turd.

Destructive criticism like this is not acceptable behavior. If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all.

This is a warning. Any future behavior like this can result in you being banned from the Magic-League forums.
HdH_Cthulhu

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need manaleak. 8 Unsummon is way to much.

And your only awnser to pyromancer ascension is 7 mana.
Into the roil!?.

You play mono u and neither Big Jace, preodain or mana leack XD
JeZeus

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, that was sort of the point I was making. How Pestertwin was already well known. . . And holy crap it was used in a pyromancer deck!@ Never mind the fact that everyone on every forum has been talking about the combo and the deck, plus builds for it since the card has been spoiled.

ps not everyone who uses MWS plays on m-l . . . Anyone who has MWS can and probably has played with some variant of the deck
Jacois

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JeZeus wrote:
Yea, that was sort of the point I was making. How Pestertwin was already well known. . . And holy crap it was used in a pyromancer deck!@ Never mind the fact that everyone on every forum has been talking about the combo and the deck, plus builds for it since the card has been spoiled.

ps not everyone who uses MWS plays on m-l . . . Anyone who has MWS can and probably has played with some variant of the deck

Exactly my point, thank you JeZeus. The deck is really good and everyone knows about it and it's extremely good. My deck beats it easily.

I just played against UGR Cobra and whooped it 2-0. Wink
xJudicatorx

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I concede that you will stomp PyroTwin with this (with good draws). Sadly, you have absolutely no game against Cawblade, RUG, Valakut, Vampires, WW Tempered Steel, Boros, or even random jank aggro.

Remember that Skite has to be a legal target in order to use it's activated ability. And you will always need either colored mana or life in order to cost it - that is, you cannot pay for it by tapping a blue creature. I do like the Trinket/Treasure package, particularly since they both work with your lord, now if only Phyrexia's Core was an Artifact Land.
JeZeus

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spellskite can redirect the enters the battlefield ability of Deciever effectively negating the combo if its in play. I won't argue that, but I just imagine spellskite could be used more efficiently in some other deck.
maps

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this deck is unbelievably poorly constructed. i doubt this can beat pyro-twin, as any reasonable player will side out the twins and blank your deck.

and dont act as though you can just board out your bounce. online, they may as well be boarding in pyroclasms, or slagstorms. you have no idea how they board, so most likely, they are blanking about a quarter of your deck. even in real life, its difficult to tell, and playing a guessing game r.e. them boarding it out/back on is not a good strategy for any deck.

lastly, the inclusion of unsummon/vapor snag over into the roil/spell pierce/leak is beyond laughable. bravo! bravo!
P_P4E

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

your theory behind beating it is playing unsummon effects then why not just play splintertwin combo with unsummon effects.

not enough mage targets on either side. Wayyyyyyyyy too many 3 drops.

Jacois... people have almost not deviated from chapins list in their builds whatsoever... so yeah, magic-league is completely irrelevant as far as what the metagame will be like when the new set comes out. The one in three thousand people who come to this site that play magic in the USA will think its better than it is, but thats about it.

I agree with maps completely. Unsummon should obviously be into the roil. Absolutely no reason it shouldn't be. Also no JTMS when you have 12 other 3 drop's is awkward. I would actually argue that this can't beat the combo more than a combo list tuned to beat the mirror could.
darkwizard42
Level 2 Judge

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The real thing to take away from this is Spellskite.

How useful is it, and is it a good answer to Splinter Twin. I would agree that it is more useful to many decks than playing torpor orb which shuts off too many of their own cards. In addition with a U base one can play Into the Roil as well as Spellskite, hence having two ways around SplinterTwin/Ascension antics. I like the idea but no preordain, no mana leak, no jace...seems very very bad. Caged Sun should go out for Big Jace, and cut the belerens, as Big Jace gives you more bounce and lets you organize that library. Add 4 fetches and find space for preordain and you have a decent deck. Cut the Trinket Mages for Mana Leaks/Preordains and just keep a treasure mage package, it works well with grand architect anyway.
Jacois

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HdH_Cthulhu wrote:
You need manaleak. 8 Unsummon is way to much.

And your only awnser to pyromancer ascension is 7 mana.
Into the roil!?.

You play mono u and neither Big Jace, preodain or mana leack XD

I don't "need" Mana Leak as I beat Twin quite handily without it.

Pyromancer ascension I Trinket Mage for a Hex Parasite.

2nd turn Skite, 3rd turn Little Jace allows that my Jace can't be killed by bolts, attacked by ground creatures or Hex Parasited.

JeZeus wrote:
Spellskite can redirect the enters the battlefield ability of Deciever effectively negating the combo if its in play. I won't argue that, but I just imagine spellskite could be used more efficiently in some other deck.

Actually, it can't redirect the enters the battlefield effect of a echanted Deceiver if it doesn't already target one of my permanents. But it does redirect the Twin Aura to my own Skite.

2nd turn Skite protects my Grand Architect, it's not simply an anti-twin card, it's a card that protects my "combo" as well.

maps wrote:
this deck is unbelievably poorly constructed. i doubt this can beat pyro-twin, as any reasonable player will side out the twins and blank your deck.

and dont act as though you can just board out your bounce. online, they may as well be boarding in pyroclasms, or slagstorms. you have no idea how they board, so most likely, they are blanking about a quarter of your deck. even in real life, its difficult to tell, and playing a guessing game r.e. them boarding it out/back on is not a good strategy for any deck.

lastly, the inclusion of unsummon/vapor snag over into the roil/spell pierce/leak is beyond laughable. bravo! bravo!

I side in 3 Hex Parasites g2 against Twin to deal with the Ascension and I have 1 maindeck with Trinkets. Please read the list before giving your opinion on how it sucks.

Unsummon and Vapor Snag are extremely versatile as far as disrupting the Twin combo, bouncing my Skite, or one of my mages, or bouncing a creature that has just been equipped.

darkwizard42 wrote:
The real thing to take away from this is Spellskite.

How useful is it, and is it a good answer to Splinter Twin. I would agree that it is more useful to many decks than playing torpor orb which shuts off too many of their own cards. In addition with a U base one can play Into the Roil as well as Spellskite, hence having two ways around SplinterTwin/Ascension antics. I like the idea but no preordain, no mana leak, no jace...seems very very bad. Caged Sun should go out for Big Jace, and cut the belerens, as Big Jace gives you more bounce and lets you organize that library. Add 4 fetches and find space for preordain and you have a decent deck. Cut the Trinket Mages for Mana Leaks/Preordains and just keep a treasure mage package, it works well with grand architect anyway.

Lots of neat ideas, thx.

This deck is quite quick and hard to disrupt. 2nd turn skite protects 3rd turn Grand ideally. 4th turn I can cast a Treasure mage, make my Skite Blue, and tap the Skite, Grand, and Mage to cast either the Trisk, Wurm, or Caged Sun that I searched for with the Treasure Mage.

Not that it has to get a 4th turn Trisk or Wurm to win, but it doesn't hurt. Wink And yes, I lost to tempered Steel earlier, into the roil would be a good answer to the Tempered Steel EOT then I can drop a Trisk and take the game. I'm sure I'll take out Unsummons or Vapor Snags for Roils. Thx for the advice everyone!
Jacois

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Figured I'd update and say I smashed another UR Twin and beat it handily. Then I got absolutely smashed by Tempered Steel. *Whew* That's a rough matchup. Any other advice for that matchup specifically? I'm not really sure what to do about it tbh. :S
JeZeus

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah yes sorry, redirects splintertwin, not the ability ^^
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2