Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mono B Control Standard

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
Jelin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:49 pm    Post subject: Mono B Control Standard Reply with quote

Ok so this is the only deck iv been testing and its pretty sold with advice from Weedmonkey it has changed a little bit plus my own tweaks lemme see some comments or some ideas.

//Lands
4 Tectonic Edge
1 Inkmoth Nexus
1 Mystifying Maze
2 Verdant Catacombs
3 Marsh Flats
14 Swamp (2)

// Creatures
2 Grave Titan
4 Phyrexian Obliterator
3 Abyssal Persecutor

// Spells
4 Geth's Verdict
3 Sign in Blood
3 Go for the Throat
2 Doom Blade
2 Liliana Vess
4 Inquisition of Kozilek
2 Duress
2 Black Sun's Zenith
2 Tumble Magnet
2 Despise

// Sideboard
SB: 1 Black Sun's Zenith
SB: 1 Despise
SB: 2 Disfigure
SB: 2 Memoricide
SB: 2 Enslave
SB: 3 Hex Parasite
SB: 4 Surgical Extraction

all i have to say for SB is meh.

Edit: Read this announcement: http://www.magic-league.com/phpBB/about15364.html Thanks in advance for tightening-up the graphics of this opening post.

-EngSk
boeda

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

4 gatekeeper of malakir instead of those 9 instant killers.. and sludge? pretty damn good if it resolves.
Egren

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Gatekeeper definitely wants to be a 4-of.

So i get it, everyone, including me, wants to try out the new shiny Obliterator and wants it to be good. It is, but it puts so much strain on your mana that it forces the rest of your cards to suck (kinda. You get the idea that the fewer colors you play, the worse your average card will be but the more reliably you will be able to play it).

Another issue with being mono black is that protection from black is in a lot of decks either in the form of SoFF or Mirran Crusader or heck, both!

This means Black Sun's Zenith and early hand disruption is crucial. You have that, which is good.

However, I think that being black as a creature has become more of a liability than a bonus that it was before (earlier a lot of the black removal couldn't kill black creatures). So what i suggest is skip the grave titans and play Wurmcoil Engines instead of those. And yes, Gatekeepers instead of Geth's Verdicts.
Jacois

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try Triskelion dude. You won't regret it.
MassO

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I have to disagree with getting rid of the geth's verdict, first of all if you able to keep the non-problack creatures at bay and he only has a problack creature on the board, geth verdict is the only way to get rid of it other that the Sun.

I dont like the mono black version, Black Red is much better vs. Aggro and it is able to win late game with the late burn you build up.

The problem with sludge, is that you have early hand removal for the keys to their deck, and you want them to play creatures so that you can kill them, by the time your able to cast a sludge you should be putting your creatures on the board and WINNING as Sheen would say.

in Black red, it first turn Inquisition, 2nd turn kill a creature, 3rd turn Slag, 4th turn, persecutor or Obliterator, 5th turn Persecutor/Obliterator, 6th turn play Sarkhan the Mad, and sac your persecutor to get a dragon or you can geth's verdict yourself, or go for the throat it. Works pretty good.
R3wind

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jacois wrote:
Try Triskelion dude. You won't regret it.

It's even better with deathtouch from Basilisk Collar.
Jelin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok so iv alrdy been contimplating on gatekeepers neways
but playin spectre geths verdict cld be key trisk n collar sounds nice but no way to really hit a collar i do think 2 copies of trisk will make the cut
P_P4E

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

too many nonbasic lands. I think you just want to max out on swamps, as the downside of not having turn 4 obliterator or turn 3 gatekeeper (which you should be playing) is significant.

Unfortunately these decks are unplayable in a format with stoneforge/hawk/jace. You can't compete with the card advantage PLUS the mana advantage.
Tao

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this deck doesn't CRUSH FOOLS
Tao

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@eng you know I'll be level with people I know aren't dumbies... The problem is that most good mtg advice goes over people's heads. I post the same advice on every mono black control thread: just because the deck existed in the past doesn't mean it HAS to be viable every standard season.

Right now, you need to be doing more broken things than jace/hawk/mystic or primeval titan+valakut or you're just playing a cute, underpowered control deck. And if we were going to get the tools necessary to make MBC broken, it wouldn't be a huge secret.

However, some mono black deck could be the bees knees when zendikar rotates. Who knows.

edit: there's a colorless land fetcher in NPH, though its pretty bad http://magiccards.info/query?q=Mycosynth+Wellspring&v=card&s=cname
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1