Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

N00b's Green deck...what can I do with it?

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Casual or Other Decks
Stoker

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:56 pm    Post subject: N00b's Green deck...what can I do with it? Reply with quote

So I'm only 2 weeks into Magic, and loving it. But I've no clue about deck-building.

This is the first IRL I've managed to put together, with a basic Mana-Ramp idea behind it, but I am almost certain it's not even remotely well put-together. Smile

I was wondering if anyone had any advice on strategies, cards, etc for it. Basically anything you guys think I can do to make it passable. Smile

Ta muchly!

// Lands
1 [MBS] Forest (2)
6 [M11] Forest (1)
5 [M11] Forest (2)
5 [M11] Forest (3)
5 [M11] Forest (4)
2 [ROE] Evolving Wilds
1 [M11] Terramorphic Expanse

// Creatures
1 [MBS] Glissa's Courier
2 [M11] Llanowar Elves
1 [ROE] Ondu Giant
2 [M11] Garruk's Companion
1 [M11] Prized Unicorn
1 [M11] Cudgel Troll
1 [SOM] Alpha Tyrranax
1 [ROE] Pelakka Wurm
2 [MBS] Viridian Emissary
1 [M11] Acidic Slime
1 [ZEN] Frontier Guide
1 [M11] Sylvan Ranger
1 [M11] Gaea's Revenge
1 [MBS] Tangle Hulk
1 [M11] Garruk's Packleader
1 [ZEN] Baloth Woodcrasher
1 [M11] Giant Spider
1 [WWK] Leatherback Baloth
2 [ROE] Overgrown Battlement

// Spells
2 [M11] Cultivate
1 [M11] Plummet
1 [ROE] Boar Umbra
1 [SOM] Semblance Anvil
1 [M11] Hunters' Feast
1 [M11] Giant Growth
1 [MBS] Sphere of the Suns
1 [SOM] Golden Urn
1 [M11] Whispersilk Cloak
1 [ROE] Spider Umbra
1 [WWK] Explore
MassO

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best advise I can give you is to be patient and read the cards. Just about everyone on M-L can look at a cards name and tell you exactly what the casting cost, power and toughness, and abilities are without looking it up. This makes deck building a whole lot easier and faster, esp. if you don't have to read every card as you go.

Second, after looking at this list, you are evidently trying to get help on your irl deck so, knowing that your only 2 weeks in, I will forgive the lack of card choices.

You need to think of a theme, like elves, artifacts, control, ect. choose a combo, or do as 90 percent of the field right now and buy 4 Jace the Mind sculptor and build around him.

Now back to this list, and like every list, you should be playing 4 of's in your deck, your all over the place really.

A competitive Noob deck is usually elves, gobs or some form of Aggro, that requires alot of turning cards sideways, and no thinking.

This deck is from the Seattle Nationals, 2nd place, a 12 year old girl built this and made second, I did tweak it from the original version to play on M-L because the original was straight aggro.

20 [ZEN] Forest (1)

// Creatures
1 [M11] Acidic Slime
4 [WWK] Arbor Elf
3 [SOM] Copperhorn Scout
4 [M11] Elvish Archdruid
4 [SOM] Ezuri, Renegade Leader
4 [M11] Fauna Shaman
4 [ROE] Joraga Treespeaker
4 [M11] Llanowar Elves
4 [ROE] Vengevine

// Spells
4 [MBS] Green Sun's Zenith
4 [MBS] Lead the Stampede

// Sideboard
SB: 1 [M11] Acidic Slime
SB: 4 [M11] Leyline of Vitality
SB: 3 [WWK] Nature's Claim
SB: 4 [WWK] Tectonic Edge
SB: 1 [MBS] Viridian Corrupter
SB: 2 [M11] Obstinate Baloth

This game that your having a blast with is called, Magic: The Gathering Trading Card Game. So do participate in the full game and get out there and Trade and buy. Before you trade though, know the value of your cards, most experienced players will talk up shitty rares to get your good ones.

Also, If you are playing at FNM, make some friends and watch them play the games, you can learn tons by watching and even Youtube has recent matches on there to watch. In the end, this game will consume you and your wallet, It is addicting.
pg8

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rather than tell you to just go buy the expensive cards, I'll give you some general tips on building the deck, which I assume is being used in very weak casual circles.

The fetchlands (terramorphic expanse, evolving wilds) are useless and slow you down. Also, the cards that just gain you life are a lot worse than you might think.

Your cards seem like they will work well, but of course removal on your big guys will hurt. Even pacifism, which many casual new players use, will seriously hurt you. I recommend some spells that generate card advantage, like Lead the Stampede (a cheap uncommon from Beseiged).

Overgrown Battlement is a good card, but not in this deck. First, its utility goes down if you don't have a full set. Also, your deck wants to attack. Defenders don't help your game plan. If you still want ramp, use Llanowar Elves.

It's okay to not own 4 Jaces. If you feel ready to graduate to higher-powered play, you can always try decklists other people have made on magic-league. But your type of deck should be ok for casual play with friends.
rupus

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MassO is correct that playing 4 ofs is usually a good idea but picking up 4 Vengevines or Jaces is pretty hefty. However, Llanowar Elves, Viridian Emissary, Garruk's Companion and Leatherback Baloth should be easy enough to find and would be great as 4 ofs. If there's a store near you they're probably only 25 cents a piece. Also, you are playing 25 lands which seems like quite a lot especially with all your ramp. I would feel safe going down to 22. If you cut back lands, explore loses a lot of value, so you might want to cut that for more cultivates or ramp creatures. Joraga Treespeaker is an awesome ramper and only an uncommon. pg8's suggestion of lead the stampede is good, you could probably trade for them easily or pick them up for a dollar or 2 a piece. In terms of your fatties, Gaea's Revenge is awesome. I love Pelakka Wurm from draft in rise of the eldrazi, he's probably your best option and you could probably add a few more of him over, say alpha tyrranax. You might also want to find some overwhelming stampedes to put in there. If I had to make a budget green aggro deck off the top of my head I think I would do something like this:

Land
22 Forest

Creature
4 Llanowar Elves
3 Joraga Treespeakers
4 Garruk's Companion
4 Leatherback Baloth
4 Viridian Emissary
1 Gaea's Revenge
3 Pelakka Wurm
2 Acidic Slime

Spells
3 Lead the Stampede
4 Cultivate
2 Overwhelming Stampede
2 Snake Umbra
2 Nature's Claim

Nature's Claim and Acidic Slime are in there because, like pg8 said pacifisms tend to be popular casual removal cards. If you start playing with sideboards they could probably go there. Snake Umbra is just kind of a pet card of mine. I noticed plummet and giant spider in your list so if you're worried about fliers putting the beats on you, you could probably cut some things and maybe do a 2/2 split of reach guys and plummets. Maybe -1 Cultivate, -1 Pelakka Wurm, -1 Viridian Emissary, -1 Snake Umbra.

On a more general note, I would strongly recommend reading Building on Budget on the mothership (the wizards site). I read it religiously and a lot of the lists are pretty good. If you decide to go play at an FNM or something I would recommend looking for ones that play drafts but if all the shops around you only do constructed you might want to try out one of the event decks. I have to plug Building on a budget again because Jacob van Lunen did a pair of awesome articles about them. If you're mostly just playing casual games with your friends right now the Duel Decks are good times (even Phyrexia vs The Coalition which you could probably find for like 10 dollars or so). Drafting with your friends is always fun too and it builds up your collection. I did nothing but draft for like the first 6 months I played magic.
pg8

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh! Another one that you might consider (especially as a sideboard card against heavy removal) is Vines of Vastwood. It probably won't help much in the main, but if you decide to start playing with sideboards it will help against things like Doom Blade.

Also, remember that every extra noncreature card makes Lead the Stampede less effective. That means ramp creatures are probably better than ramp spells and Acidic Slime might go in over Nature's Claim.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Casual or Other Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1