Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A new use for #apprentice

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> General Magic-League Issues

Would you help new guys out in a new #apprentice?
Yes
36%
 36%  [ 4 ]
No
45%
 45%  [ 5 ]
Unsure
18%
 18%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 11

Weedmonkey

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:00 pm    Post subject: A new use for #apprentice Reply with quote

This morning, I've been helping out a nice guy by the name of Stoker. In conversation, he mentioned that #apprentice seemed like a place for new guys to start out, and he felt a bit more welcoming and comforted by that.

As people are well aware, #apprentice is as dead as Peter Szigeti's Magic career. It would be a benefit to the new blood entering M-L if they had a dedicated channel. That being said, what I'm unsure about is whether there are a number of other people who are willing to take out a bit of time with new people and help them get started on Magic-League.

So, is #apprentice for new users a good idea? And if so, are you willing to help out in there? Smile
Farseer
Level 3 Judge

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Needs a different name.
magicman85

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Putting a bunch of noobs in the same place to learn is like the blind leading the blind.
MassO

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe call it #Guru or #MagicTutor

experienced players can try to teach all they want, but noobs will only learn the game by reading at least the basics and getting familiar with the mws program, if they won't take that step then have fun trying to find people to help them.

MassO
Weedmonkey

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, to clarify a couple of things:

- The name can change (obviously). I should be able to change the default channels for the java client without a problem.
- This would be to introduce new players to Magic-League (as I said in the original post). This would not be about teaching people how to play the game unless people who are helping wish it to.
Burton911

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So new people are too shy to ask questions in #ML ?
Is that what you are trying to say?

99,999% of the ppl coming to ml will now how to play anyway, and learning to play with mws shouldnt be that hard.

Just an idea i had when typing those lines:
You could add something like the following to the topic of #ML:
"New to MWS? then follow this link <linkhere>"
Jelin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think the idea is great i see people joining #m-l all different times of the day asking for help with mws and how to play i think the main problem would be getting people to volunteer to help out none the least great idea weed.
Farseer
Level 3 Judge

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thinking about this a little more, all we really need is:
(1) A good "how to set up a specific play application" page; or
(2) Possibly a bot like Pail to guide you through the process. Namm has a good "newbie guide" for setting up netdraft that I like quite a lot.
cogdill

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If this channel still has a possibility of happening, I would be more than glad to help out in the channel, i know how to install mws/netdraft, i know most of the workings for signing up and joining tourneys, and i love to help ppl out getting them started on M-l. i notice a lot of ppl that come in the channel and have no clue how to start playing. i feel this channel could greatly benefit the amount of players m-l has. i usually have a bunch of free time so i would be able to be in there a lot of the time. just an FYI. Smile thx
Stoker

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As the person who chatted to Weed about this (Hello!) I feel there'd need to be a twofold aim for a channel like this: an information provider; the rules of the game, the meaning of the various terms, how to download mws, etc, and a place to have games with other newbies to the game, to be assured of a similar skill level, for those who're still not of the confidence to play the big-dogs.

Smile
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> General Magic-League Issues All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1