Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

BYOS Dream Halls

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Casual or Other Decks
LLSheep

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:55 am    Post subject: BYOS Dream Halls Reply with quote

Howdy,

I built a Dream Halls combo deck for Bring Your Own Standard. I'm using Tempest and Alara blocks with the 5th Edition core set. My list is as follows:

// Lands
4 [TE] Ancient Tomb
4 [5E] Svyelunite Temple
4 [EX] City of Traitors
12 [5E] Island (1)

// Creatures
2 [CFX] Progenitus
3 [SH] Wall of Tears

// Spells
3 [SH] Mox Diamond
4 [5E] Brainstorm
3 [5E] Drain Power
4 [5E] Counterspell
4 [TE] Intuition
4 [SH] Dream Halls
4 [CFX] Conflux
4 [ALA] Cruel Ultimatum
1 [5E] Boomerang

// Sideboard
SB: 2 [CFX] Progenitus
SB: 2 [TE] Chill
SB: 4 [5E] Hydroblast
SB: 4 [TE] Propaganda
SB: 3 [5E] Flood

With 12 lands that can provide 2 mana and 3 Mox Diamonds, resolving Dream Halls on turn 3 isn't unusual, and is possible on turn 4 with a Counterspell to push it through. After that, you can either put a Progenitus into play (which is necessary if your opponent has gained any life whatsoever), or combo off with Conflux. Intuition can grab Conflux or Dream Halls at the end of your opponent's turn before you go off.

To combo, you use Conflux to grab 2x Progenitus, 1x Conflux and 2x Cruel Ultimatum. Discard the Progeniti back into your deck to cast 1 Cruel Ultimatum and another Conflux, searching for the remaining two Ultimatums, 2x Progenitus, and any blue card. Cast all 3 Cruel Ultimatums and win.

My testing so far has been exclusively goldfishing (where do you go to test BYOS?), so I'm unsure if Drain Power is any good at all.

My main area of concern is whether or not this deck is fast enough for the format. The Wall of Tears should help against Goblins, but I don't think it will be enough. Propaganda, Hydroblast and Chill are in the sideboard to make life difficult for the Goblin pilot, but siding them in means your combo is going to be harder to bring together.

The extra Progeniti in the sideboard are for the Hypergenesis matchup (it seems to make the top 3 of most events, right?). Does Hypergenesis win on the turn it goes off?

Any advice you'd be willing to throw my way would be appreciated. This is my first foray into MYOS, and if I've missed any glaringly obvious points, please be understanding!

Thank you.
darkwizard42
Level 2 Judge

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent start...

With the heavy presence of Hypergenesis you can actually combo the crap out of them if you survive turn 1. Also you need more outs for turn 1 goblin lackey. I think Flood is too blue mana intensive for it to be any use in the early game. Wall of Tears is a great choice.

Against Fae/UW Control you might want Force Spike or some kind of very cheap counter. Memory Lapse would probably be useful. Force Spike also stops t1 lackey. Do you have any way aside from Drain Power to play a no mana counter, or prevent countering? Defense Grid/City of Solitude-esque?

Very cool deck, and I look forward to testing and modifying your list.
FiReBLT

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

darkwizard42 wrote:
Excellent start...

With the heavy presence of Hypergenesis you can actually combo the crap out of them if you survive turn 1. Also you need more outs for turn 1 goblin lackey. I think Flood is too blue mana intensive for it to be any use in the early game. Wall of Tears is a great choice.

Against Fae/UW Control you might want Force Spike or some kind of very cheap counter. Memory Lapse would probably be useful. Force Spike also stops t1 lackey. Do you have any way aside from Drain Power to play a no mana counter, or prevent countering? Defense Grid/City of Solitude-esque?

It's times like this I wish we could uprate quality posts like these.. +1 @ darkwiz!
Jacois

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FiReBLT wrote:
darkwizard42 wrote:
Excellent start...

It's times like this I wish we could uprate quality posts like these.. +1 @ darkwiz!

I was just thinking the same thing. +1

I guess I should comment on the deck. LOL, wow! Crazy. I love it. That is like, the coolest deck ever.
jonwayne

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drain power seems kinda janky, memory lapse sounds like a decent 2cc spell for stealing opp's turns
LLSheep

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Upon further reflection following your input, Drain Power is only really appropriate to bait/deny a counter-spell against a control match up before resolving the game ending Dream Halls. I've moved them to the sideboard, dumping Flood altogether.

Regarding Goblins: would it be better to have Propaganda in the side, or Sea Sprite?

Finally, with the space cleared by Drain Power, do we like Force Spike, Mana Leak or Memory Lapse better?
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Casual or Other Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1