Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Thruns 'n' Guns

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Legacy (T1.5) Decks
TraxDaMax

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:36 am    Post subject: Thruns 'n' Guns Reply with quote

Hey,
The little jimmy in me wanted to build a deck with Thrun the first moment I read his text.
He is just practicly impossible to kill in legacy, and hooking him up with some equipment ('guns') is just an old fashion and fun way to win games.
The thing that bothered me most was the mana cost of 4 though. Only being a 4/4 (this is relatively small in a world of goyfs/wild nacatls etc..) and costing 4 mana, just seemed underpowered.
So I thought, why not try to bring back mono green chalice aggro? With Thrun, equipment and other goodies?

4 Tarmogoyf
4 Noble Hierarch
2 Thrun, The Last Troll
1 Wickerbough Elder
2 Knight of the Reliquary
4 Green Sun's Zenith
2 Garruk Wildspeaker

2 Crucible of Worlds ( thinking of cutting these)
3 Umezawa's Jitte
1 Sword of Light and Shadow
1 Sword of Fire and Ice
4 Chalice of the Void
3 Trinisphere
2 Sylvan Library

4 Mox Diamond
4 Ancient Tomb
2 City of Traitors
4 Wasteland
2 Savannah
1 Horizon Canopy
1 Treetop Village
1 Dryad Arbor
6 Forest

Sideboard still under construction but looks like this right now

2 Ratchet Bomb
1 Crucible of Worlds
1 Trinisphere
2 Loaming Shaman
2 Oblivion Ring
2 Choke
1 Viridian Zealot
2 Phyrexian Revoker
2 Dueling Grounds

As for now, it's running fairly well. The things I'm wondering about are:
- Shall I just cut crucibles for more threats?
Other cards that come to mind are Genesis, or perhaps a singleton civic wayfinder, but if I can get it with GSZ, that means I already have 4 mana which means I should be able to play everything already. Genesis may just be a good way to insure a good late game, and also not that important. I haven't tested the deckenough yet.

Well, if anybody has hints/remarks. please feel free Smile
IkeReilly

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think 3 jitte is wrong, 2 maybe and add sword of feast and famine, you would always have regen mana then, or sword of vengeance maybe, or even loxodon warhammer to help against aggro/burn/etc. But you are playing chalice, but a chalice on once locks out your hierarchs, and on 2 locks out your goyfs and on 3 locks out everything else, maybe do chrome mox then instead of mox diamond to do something with the locked out cards
TraxDaMax

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IkeReilly wrote:
I think 3 jitte is wrong, 2 maybe and add sword of feast and famine, you would always have regen mana then, or sword of vengeance maybe, or even loxodon warhammer to help against aggro/burn/etc. But you are playing chalice, but a chalice on once locks out your hierarchs, and on 2 locks out your goyfs and on 3 locks out everything else, maybe do chrome mox then instead of mox diamond to do something with the locked out cards

Thanks, was also not completely sold on 3 Jitte. Because of the clog chalice decks seem to have already.
Also the reason I have a couple of 2 of's. 2 Garruks barely help you, 2 crucible or trini is even worse.
I was actually thinking of perhaps playing a basilisk collar instead of 1 jitte.
As for now, the locking myself out hasn't occured that often yet. I don't tend to put chalice on 2 that often. And if I open with hierarch and chalice in hand, I just play out hierarch first. It's anti-synergy for sure though.

One thing though, a cool thing about this comparing to old mono green chalice aggro is that GSZ can get you a hierarch even if you have chalice out.

I don't think I agree with cutting mox diamonds for chrome mox though, as you can't toss artifacts. On the other hand, having 2 Thrun doesn't help that much either I guess.
MTGKing

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

of course the downside of playing chalice now is that many of your opponents will have GSZ as well!
Kamperfoelie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no sure about this deck tbh
TraxDaMax

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MTGKing wrote:
of course the downside of playing chalice now is that many of your opponents will have GSZ as well!

I'm not really following why that is a problem :/
Since I'm not worried about a turn 2 Hierarch I don't think.
If you mean for the goyfs putting chalice at 2 to stop them, well yeah that isn't going to work anymore.

But CoTV is mainly just for the 1mana spells imo. No more ponder/brainstorm/wild nacatl/bolts/grim lavamancers/vials/thoughtseize/duress/ and so on..

Anyway. I'm testing with a basilisk collar instead of Jitte for now, and will be testing some other cards instead of crucible.

so the list above but :
- Forest, - 2xCrucible, - Umezawa's Jitte

+ Tropical Island, + Tilling Treefolk, + Trygon Predator, + Basilisk Collar.

This is actually to have 2 more targes for GSZ.
Tilling treefolk is almost a tutorable 1 turn crucible. And with the upcoming lists of affinity, Trygon might be the key for that.

Does that sound right?
Spyx

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stoneforge Mystic seems sweet in your deck. You could go 3 mystic, 1 jitte, 2 swords.
Thrun still seems much worse then knight of the reliquary though. Shroud isn't really all that amazing when by far the most played removal spell costs 1 mana and you aim to have chalice @ 1 anyway. I would run 1 thrun at most.
TraxDaMax

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spyx wrote:
Stoneforge Mystic seems sweet in your deck. You could go 3 mystic, 1 jitte, 2 swords.
Thrun still seems much worse then knight of the reliquary though. Shroud isn't really all that amazing when by far the most played removal spell costs 1 mana and you aim to have chalice @ 1 anyway. I would run 1 thrun at most.

Hey,

Thanks, I thought about Mystic too, because she is indeed awesome. But aren't I kind of pushing it already by playing 3 colors in a Ancient Tomb/City of Traitors deck?
The reason I splash the knights and trygon, is because I have 4 tutors for them aswell. But tbh, in this deck KotR doesn't get extremely big. Practicly impossible because the deck doesn't play that many forests really. I use it more as a land tutor.

In my testing now, I've cut the treetop for a karakas, and cut a forest for an extra tropical island.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Legacy (T1.5) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1