Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Advice on practicing sealed.

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Limited
thedarkness

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:22 am    Post subject: Advice on practicing sealed. Reply with quote

So, for years now my biggest gripe with Magic has been how much I suck at limited formats. I've never denied that a large part of the reason why I'm so bad at them is simply that I never play them, and more important at higher levels, never practice them. So IN THE INTEREST OF SCIENCE, and maybe for the invitational on Sunday, I was wondering if anyone had any links and/or advice on draft picks, gauging card power in a sealed pool, deck construction, and all that. I'm aware of some resources, like reading articles on wizards.com and SCG, but I'm about to go to bed and I'm hoping to wake up to some new ideas to try out over the next few days.

If anyone does post a link, please include what it is and how to use it if it isn't self-explanatory (for clarification, a list of articles is self-explanatory, while a hand generator is useless to a limited newbie). Ideally, this thread might become the inspiration for a stickied compendium of Getting Started With Limited Magic.
MarkovXII

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the wizards limited articles and forums is a good place, they talk about alot of real obvious stuff but stick with it and read the whole thing and there are a few gems throughout
gypsy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the only real way is to just play limited
GoneBananas
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can talk to me, i r teh proz
JA0

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this more applys to drafting but still is a major key in limited,

remember the word Bread

B-bombs
R-Removal
E-evasion
A-Aggro
D-Dregs

that will help alot, if you build your deck in that order. but remember to try to balance your deck.

other then thats its just lots and lots of practice.
thedarkness

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JA0 wrote:
this more applys to drafting but still is a major key in limited,

remember the word Bread

B-bombs
R-Removal
E-evasion
A-Aggro
D-Dregs

that will help alot, if you build your deck in that order. but remember to try to balance your deck.

other then thats its just lots and lots of practice.
I can see this helping a lot...I tend to build mostly aggro decks, and my focus tends to be more in the order of Aggro, Removal, Evasion, Bombs... >.>; Spiffy.
Shooter
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Build decks, not piles of good(?) cards.
Hmmmmmm

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the BREAD thing definitely applies to Sealed more than Draft.

Synergy needs to be thrown into the draft one somewhere.

And yeah, like 2-3 years ago I asked PV this exact same question, and what he told me was 'Build real decks, not piles of cards.' (Exactly what Shooter just said)
P_P4E

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually think you dont have to play any limited to understand limited. Same applies to any "on the fly" games, I.E. fantasy sports drafts. If you understand where things are supposed to go, how good they are and what they work well with, you don't actually have to play.

Sealed I would say is actually very easy and doesn't require any practice if you know what the format is. Listen to pro's talk about it and simply just copy their philosophy completely. MBS-SOM is a slow format, so build accordingly. Also play whatever bombs you get, etc.

If you have a terrible sealed pool, something that happened to me in one prerelease (best cards were 2x myrsmith) then you're obviously screwed... but I used these opportunities to try stuff out. Maybe rock a 4 color deck, maybe just throw all your 7 drops in there and see what happens, etc. If its at a GP or PT or something, then I really dont know what to tell you as I do not compete on that level.
enfinit

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BREAD i feel is more about draft...

Plus in sealed you have to look for where you have the most synergy. The bomb isn't worth anything unless you have the numbers to back it up.

Plus there was a recent article on magic.tcgplayer.com
talking about how bread isn't as good a strat with scars and besieged since they are one of the most synergistic limited sets in a long time. You can't take the best dinosaur, best infect, and best metalcraft and hope to have THE best deck you could have.

but yeah

magic.tcgplayer.com
mananation.com
channelfireball.com
02drop.com
starcitygames.com
mtgsalvation.com

I also believe if you download mtgo you can watch and review sealed winning decks and draft decks from free. I like to just sit and smoke while I watch sealed and draft in action. Cause I don't always have the money, I mean magic-league.com hello. lol.
gypsy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

P_P4E wrote:
I actually think you dont have to play any limited to understand limited. Same applies to any "on the fly" games, I.E. fantasy sports drafts. If you understand where things are supposed to go, how good they are and what they work well with, you don't actually have to play.

Sealed I would say is actually very easy and doesn't require any practice if you know what the format is. Listen to pro's talk about it and simply just copy their philosophy completely. MBS-SOM is a slow format, so build accordingly. Also play whatever bombs you get, etc.

If you have a terrible sealed pool, something that happened to me in one prerelease (best cards were 2x myrsmith) then you're obviously screwed... but I used these opportunities to try stuff out. Maybe rock a 4 color deck, maybe just throw all your 7 drops in there and see what happens, etc. If its at a GP or PT or something, then I really dont know what to tell you as I do not compete on that level.

ya and u need to play limited to know what strategies are good and what cards u need to take highly for your deck etc, listening to pros can only get you so far
GreenBear

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can afford it modo is really good for limited play.
thedarkness

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManfredByron wrote:
If you can afford it modo is really good for limited play.
I totally can't afford it, but since a cat got me banned from #magic-league by taking a nap on my keyboard and my Extended deck is no longer Extended legal, I may have some tix to blow on sealed in the near future.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Limited All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1