Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Treasure Island

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
magicman85

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:14 am    Post subject: Treasure Island Reply with quote

I saw the article for Treasure Island so I made a deck as Treasure Islandy as I could and even won a mini with it lol (http://www.magic-league.com/tournament/info.php?id=68167&view=decks). It is a classic blue control style deck with counterspells and controls with some drawing power. Your main goal is to counterspell as much as you can early until you can find the treasures. The Wurmcoils are for regaining lost health and the Hellkites are to clear your opponents board/Sword of Body and Mind. It has a tough 1st match against aggro so most of the sideboard is chump blockers to help keep you alive until you can get the wurmcoil and win.

Has anyone else had success playing mono blue or have any suggestions?

I adjusted the deck with the help of the suggestions.

I subed 2 Inkmoths for 2 Dread Sanctuarys because the 4 mana per sanctuary is a bit much when you got 2 or 3 of them out. I put in 4 Ratchet Bombs because they will really help my weakest matchup vs aggro and they are good vs Avenger of Zendikars in Valakut decks. I took out the Grand Archetects because I'm not running that many blue creatures and I usually needed my creatures to stay untapped for blockers anyway.

I chose to not use Contagion Clasp and Everflowing Chalice because there is not enough to proliferate for the Contagion Clasp, and I need to keep my early mana open for counterspells instead of using it for Everflowing Chalices. Plus I'm not running that many artifacts or proliferate for the Chalices.

// Deck file for Magic Workstation (http://www.magicworkstation.com)

// Lands
4 [WWK] Tectonic Edge
18 [ROE] Island (2)
1 [WWK] Dread Statuary
2 [MBS] Inkmoth Nexus

// Creatures
2 [ROE] Sea Gate Oracle
1 [SOM] Wurmcoil Engine
1 [SOM] Steel Hellkite
3 [MBS] Treasure Mage

// Spells
4 [WWK] Jace, the Mind Sculptor
4 [M11] Preordain
4 [M11] Mana Leak
3 [ROE] Deprive
2 [M11] Mind Control
4 [ZEN] Spell Pierce
2 [ZEN] Spreading Seas
4 [SOM] Ratchet Bomb
1 [SOM] Stoic Rebuttal

// Sideboard
SB: 2 [ROE] Domestication
SB: 2 [WWK] Thada Adel, Acquisitor
SB: 4 [SOM] Perilous Myr
SB: 2 [ZEN] Cosi's Trickster
SB: 2 [ZEN] Spreading Seas
SB: 2 [SOM] Volition Reins
SB: 1 [SOM] Necropede

Last edited by magicman85 on Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:31 pm; edited 4 times in total
FiReBLT

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks quite cool - I'm worried about what you do if you lose the Architects to removal though.
magicman85

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just sit back on the counterspells and wait til 6 lands. Usually the Architects don't get tapped for mana much anyways I think I'm going to take one out. Thanks.
magicman85

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea the land return on the deprives kind of sucks early game but i already have a lot of 3 drops. Probably going to take out 1-2 deprives but need to figure out how to keep a decent mana curve.
Jacois

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you need cheap removal for Boros, Gobbos, Elves and Vamps, I suggest 4 maindeck of both Ratchet Bombs and Contagion Clasps, this will ensure that you reach the mid/late game, rather than try ramping to your own mid/late game whilst your aggro opponnent is already at their end game. Does that make sense?
thranarama

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Necropede is awesome at early defense, especially vs. decks like Boros where it kills their landfall guys no matter what. It can also sometimes be a 2 for 1 or if you include contagion clasp (or engine as a treasure) you sometimes have an alternate win condition.

EDIT: Also, you could run inkmoth nexus instead of dread statuary. you have another guy who can pull that off. just some thoughts.
Bob_A_Wilson

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Contagion Clasp is too slow and does too little for this deck and ratchet bomb is gonna be dead in some games, but you definitely want ratchet in your sb.
gypsy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so youre slowly moving away from being a grand architect deck and becoming a bad blue control deck when there are better Ux control decks out there
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1