Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

To Edge or not to Edge?

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Magic Rulings
boeda

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:51 am    Post subject: To Edge or not to Edge? Reply with quote

Ok, I've got a Tectonic Edge situation:

Me and my opp. both control 4 lands. He's got plains, island, celestial collonade and edge, wich he just played( its his turn), I've got island, swamp, creeping tar pit and edge.

Now he deicides to sac his edge targeting my pit, in reponse I sac to destroy his collonade..

Can I do this or not? we couldn't figure it out and searched the net for it finding an overload of edge questions and answers, none of them giving a final solution.

If you've got one, tell me and more importantly, explain by the official rules.

Thanks in advance, Boeda
ikazuchi

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nope, you can't sac your edge
Conkisstador

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If his 4th land is tec edge and it's his turn there's no way u can stop him from edging your land before you can edge his. also you cannot edge his while he has 3 in play.

another edge ruling for you in case it comes up. Player A has 3 tec edges and 3 other lands. Player B has 4 lands. Player A CAN respond and activate all 3 edges to kill 3 lands of player B.
Bob_A_Wilson

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conkisstador wrote:
If his 4th land is tec edge and it's his turn there's no way u can stop him from edging your land before you can edge his. also you cannot edge his while he has 3 in play.

another edge ruling for you in case it comes up. Player A has 3 tec edges and 3 other lands. Player B has 4 lands. Player A CAN respond and activate all 3 edges to kill 3 lands of player B.

I don't think that is true. As soon as he activates one edge, does priority not shift to the other player?

But your basic point is right, you can put all 3 abilities on the stack while he still has 4 lands.
GreenBear

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is correct someones asked that question with two edges sacing a t once on these forums before.
moscowdemon
Level 4 Judge

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im sure farseer will drop by with the rule number and such. but conk is right on both.
the way this works is that whenever an ability or spell is placed on the stack, that player retains priority and may place more things on the stack on top of that. u retain priority still and may continue until u wish to pass it. then the other player gets priority and may place things on the stack and such. whenever priority is passed consecutively, the top thing on the stack resolves and then priority is passed around again. rinse and repeat until its empty.
4 lands vs 4 lands. active player pays 1 and sacs tectonic edge to place its ability on the stack, passes priority, he now has only 3 lands as the edge was sacrificed in the cost. tectonic edge requires 4 lands on ur opps side to activate.
conks 6 lands vs 4 lands. active player activates 1 ability (see above for what happens) then with priority maintained, activates another, then repeats. he now has 3 lands and passes priority with 3 edge abilities on the stack. then the passing happens and resolves the abilities
GreenBear

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe it also has something to do with edge only checking upon activation and not on resolution of the ability.
magicman85

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is because costs are paid immediately, only abilities go on the stack. So his Edge will already be gone before priority passes to you and you can respond. Thus, he will have 3 lands and you can not Edge him.
Mykrob56
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob_A_Wilson wrote:
Conkisstador wrote:

I don't think that is true. As soon as he activates one edge, does priority not shift to the other player?

But your basic point is right, you can put all 3 abilities on the stack while he still has 4 lands.

No it doesn't automatically shift. A player passes priority. Player A can activate one Edge, and respond to it, and respond to it again putting all three abilities on the stack before passing priority to his opponent.
boeda

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys!

Its as I feared, so because its his turn its his priority until he passes it. So when my edge checks his landcount its 3 and thus not enough to activate the wasteland ability.

Unlike the example Conkisstador mentioned wich happens more often although most of the time with 2 and not 3 at a time.
Kaz

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a side note, if he has 4 lands and doesn't activate his edge during his upkeep and goes to draw a card, then he has passed priority and you could kill it before he could kill yours. However, if he plays a land during his main phase to bring his count up to 4, there is no passing of priority and you would not have a chance to kill his before he can kill yours.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Magic Rulings All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1