Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

boomeranging an blocking creature

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Magic Rulings
mangoface

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:49 pm    Post subject: boomeranging an blocking creature Reply with quote

i dont see why one cant boomerang a creature that is being assigned to block one of your creatures, i'll give an example of a real life sinero;
my ulamog crusher is attacking target opponent of course they will choose to block with there death touch creature i decided to boomerang there creature so mine wont die, why cant they just reasign a blocker if they want to of course, instead of oh since i was going to block you creature with my creature that got bounced back to my hand guess what its blocked, that dont make sense, what if the creature had trample is it still blocked and no damage get through, or does 5 damage get through because you deathtouch creature is a 3/3 and my trampler is an 8/8 but ok then if you playing through like the creature did some sort of damage then why doesnt the creature end up dead if you bounce back a creature with deathtouch, boomerang is an instant by the way, mabe it has to be a inturrupt or something;
any replies on the current ruling on bouncing back blocking creatures and your ideas will be looked apon
derflippi
Level 4 Judge

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A blocked creature deals no combat damage to the defending player/planeswalker, unless the creature that got blocked has trample.
Pushover

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the boomeranged blocker will deal no damage to the attacking creature. You cannot respond to the declaration of blockers. So after you boomerang his creature, your creature is blocked, but he cannot assign a different blocker. If you want to boomerang a deathtouch blocker so that it can't block, boomerang after you declare attackers, or beginning of combat.
mangoface

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:31 pm    Post subject: how much trample damge Reply with quote

then how much trample damage will get through all 8 if there is an 8/8 creature
gypsy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes
JA0

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so pretty much you attack with a 8/8 trampler, opp decides to block with a 1/1 deathtoucher. then beginning of damage phase you would boomerang the 1/1, so when your creatures would deal dmg your 8/8 is still blocked but since the 1/1 isnt there to soak any dmg up all 8 dmg would go to player/planeswalker.

but if you didnt boomerang, 7 dmg would go to player/planeswalker and your 8/8 would die along with the 1/1....

feel free to correct me if i stated anything wrong.
thedarkness

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JA0 wrote:
so pretty much you attack with a 8/8 trampler, opp decides to block with a 1/1 deathtoucher. then beginning of damage phase you would boomerang the 1/1, so when your creatures would deal dmg your 8/8 is still blocked but since the 1/1 isnt there to soak any dmg up all 8 dmg would go to player/planeswalker.

but if you didnt boomerang, 7 dmg would go to player/planeswalker and your 8/8 would die along with the 1/1....

feel free to correct me if i stated anything wrong.
Yeah, that's right.

Edit: small change, actually. The timing on the boomerang... That used to be almost how it worked, but I don't think it is anymore. You have to use the boomerang at the end of the declare blockers step. You don't get priority until the end of the combat steps, and if you wait until the combat damage step, the deathtouch damage has already hit your trampler, and the trampler has already assigned at least 1 damage to the blocker.

Last edited by thedarkness on Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:35 am; edited 1 time in total
magicman85

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you are a little worked up over this whole bouncing blockers thing. Here is what I have deciphered from your question:

Quote:
my ulamog crusher is attacking target opponent of course they will choose to block with there death touch creature i decided to boomerang there creature so mine wont die,

Good idea, but you should have thought of that before you attacked...

Quote:
why cant they just reasign a blocker if they want to of course,

You can only assign blockers once... sorry bro

Quote:
instead of oh since i was going to block you creature with my creature that got bounced back to my hand guess what its blocked,

Yes, it is still "blocked" even though the creature got bounced, once blockers are declared you creature is blocked.

Quote:
that dont make sense, what if the creature had trample is it still blocked

It is still "blocked" but none of the trample damage is absorbed so it all gets through.

Quote:
does 5 damage get through because you deathtouch creature is a 3/3 and my trampler is an 8/8

All 8 gets though if your guy has trample and you bounced his 3/3 blocker before the damage phase.

Quote:
but ok then if you playing through like the creature did some sort of damage then why doesnt the creature end up dead if you bounce back a creature with deathtouch

I'm not really sure what you are ranting about here, but if you bounce the creature before the damage phase then it doesn't take damage and will live.

Quote:
, boomerang is an instant by the way, mabe it has to be a inturrupt or something;

You sound like an old school player if you know what an interrupt is, but now all interrupts count as instants basically, only "split second" cards are different.

any replies on the current ruling on bouncing back blocking creatures and your ideas will be looked apon
mangoface

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the clarification on the whole boomeranging or unsummoning of a creature who is about to block.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Magic Rulings All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1