Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

B/G Rock

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
WereTaco

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:07 pm    Post subject: B/G Rock Reply with quote

// Lands
6 [ZEN] Swamp (4)
10 [ZEN] Forest (2)
4 [ZEN] Verdant Catacombs
1 [WWK] Dread Statuary
2 [ROE] Evolving Wilds
2 [M11] Terramorphic Expanse

// Creatures
2 [M11] Grave Titan
3 [MBS] Thrun, the Last Troll
2 [MBS] Glissa, the Traitor
4 [MBS] Viridian Emissary
3 [SOM] Wurmcoil Engine
4 [M11] Birds of Paradise
2 [M11] Sylvan Ranger

// Spells
3 [MBS] Go for the Throat
3 [M11] Doom Blade
2 [MBS] Sword of Feast and Famine
2 [SOM] Sword of Body and Mind
3 [SOM] Mimic Vat
2 [MBS] Black Sun's Zenith

// Sideboard
SB: 4 [ZEN] Disfigure
SB: 3 [M11] Obstinate Baloth
SB: 4 [MBS] Phyrexian Revoker
SB: 1 [MBS] Massacre Wurm
SB: 1 [MBS] Black Sun's Zenith
SB: 2 [SOM] Sylvok Replica

With the declining popularity of Valakut and Mass Polymorph wackiness, I think this deck is pretty solid. It also has one of the sweetest mana curve I've seen in a while, too bad there isn't a more solid 5cc drop. Considering adding Acidic Slime to the side or maybe one maindeck. There seems to be more artifacts being played that are worth hitting.

Vs, Aggro/Goblins

Viridian Emissary is so damn good vs anything aggro period.

Black Sun's Zenith is a questionable slot with so many creatures, but it's very crutch to be able to Birds turn 1 and turn 2 BSZ for 1 to sweep the little goblins off their feet.

Access to 4x disfigure and Obstinate in the board makes game 2/3 pretty good in your favor.

Dropping a Titan or Wurmcoil is pretty much I win vs Aggro, it's also interesting to note since people are playing go for the throat Wurmcoil becomes a bit more solid to maindeck. Hence why I have 3 Doom Blades and only 2 Go for the Throat maindeck.

Vs Control

Thrun, 2nd turn swords or Mimic Vat can win you the game pretty easily, I think it's a little overlooked how good Mimic Vat can be VS control.

You'll easily have the mana base you need to play around Spreading Seas/Mana Leaks/Spell Pierce, if you walk into those spells it's your fault. Smile

Questionable Choices

Glissa, that traitor is somewhat decent vs aggro and has some interesting synergy with countered swords and Wurmcoils, also the reason Sylvok is in the side is because of this guy. I think this is a little too cute but not sure what to replace it with.

Phyrexian Revoker sided in vs control, seems solid vs U/w with all the planewalkers to stick, Also synergy with Glissa, this could probably be something else. Duress?

BTW, I stole the basic deck idea from Halldir who played it in the masters.
Zaid

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reminds me a little of the T2 rock in Mirrodin-Kamigawa, (Obv no witness or plow under)
P_P4E

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

// Lands
3 [MBS] Forest (1)
2 [M11] Swamp (3)
4 [ZEN] Marsh Flats
4 [ZEN] Verdant Catacombs
4 [SOM] Razorverge Thicket
2 [WWK] Stirring Wildwood
3 [SOM] Plains (4)
1 [M11] Terramorphic Expanse
2 [M11] Sunpetal Grove

// Creatures
4 [M11] Birds of Paradise
4 [M11] Fauna Shaman
4 [ZEN] Lotus Cobra
3 [WWK] Stoneforge Mystic
4 [M11] Squadron Hawk
4 [ROE] Vengevine
2 [MBS] Thrun, the Last Troll

// Spells
3 [M11] Duress
4 [MBS] Go for the Throat
1 [SOM] Sword of Body and Mind
1 [MBS] Sword of Feast and Famine
1 [MBS] Bonehoard

// Sideboard
SB: 2 [ZEN] Disfigure
SB: 3 [MBS] Phyrexian Revoker
SB: 4 [WWK] Kor Firewalker
SB: 1 [MBS] Mirran Crusader
SB: 3 [SOM] Memoricide
SB: 2 [M11] Acidic Slime

Here is my take on it.

I don't think you need 5 drops. Swords drawn naturally are basically 5 drops.

Mana base is actually pretty sweet. Lots of turn 1 black for Duress (i take this over inquesition because I have a good aggro matchup and want to take jace/day/gideon against control more than whatever from boros, etc.)

I really like the look of this on paper, but have yet to test it extensively.
xMetalWorker

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would run ratchet bomb over Baclk Sun's Zenith. It has great synergy with Glissa and can kill artifacts and enchantments, which is nice. Also, I'm a big fan of Fauna Shaman in this deck. It enables you to run a toolbox for game 1 matchups and also lets you get free vengevines. Molten-Tail Masticore also makes a good creature to search for since you'll normally dudes in the yard to turn into 4 damage. Also, I would absolutely run Glissa even if you aren't running Ratchet Bomb. She recurs your swords, Mimic Vat, Revoker, and Wurmcoil. The deck I'm currently running looks like this:

//Lands 23
4 Verdant Catacombs
2 Misty Rainforest
2 Marsh Flats
4 Tectonic Edge
6 Forest
5 Swamp

//Creatures 25
4 Birds of Paradise
3 Lotus Cobra
4 Fauna Shaman
3 Glissa, the Traitor
1 Skinrender
1 Thrun, the Last Troll
1 Obstinate Baloth
4 Vengevine
1 Acidic Slime
1 Massacre Wurm
2 Wurmcoil Engine

//Spells 12
3 Ratchet Bomb
4 Go for the Throat
3 Lead the Stampede
2 Garruk Wildspeaker

//Sideboard
1 Ratchet Bomb
1 Skinrender
2 Thrun
2 Ob. Baloth
3 Memerocide
2 Slime
3 Summoning Trap / Duress / Inquisition
1 Grave Titan

I do like the idea of running at least one of the swords, perhaps over Garruk. I'm also trying to work a Masticore into the main. Lead the Stampede is very strong tho, being that it's a 3 drop which this deck lacks and normally nets you 2 creatures, which is good for recurring Vengevines. Mimic Vat is also a very strong card and I would definitely be interesting in adding it to the main, perhaps in place of a few Go for the Throats, especially if you can recur Skinrender or Obstinate Baloth.
standarizeMA

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:20 am    Post subject: .. Reply with quote

I think Phyrexian Rager is great in this shell. I'd go with it
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1