Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Elspeth and Indestructible

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Magic Rulings
MTGmanLA

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:56 am    Post subject: Elspeth and Indestructible Reply with quote

There was almost a fight at my FNM over this situation so I figure I would ask here since I don't know the correct ruling either.

Player A has Elves out with Eldrazi Monument. Player B has Elspeth Tirel with 6 counters on it. If the Elspeth player uses the ultimate, does only the monument get destroyed and the elves stay cause they had indestructible from Monument or does everything go boom (cept elspeth, lands, tokens) ?
FiReBLT

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The creatures will all live. Monument dies.

The 'destroy' effect from Elspeth hits everything at once. At the time it resolves, all of the Monument player's creatures have 'indestructible' so are not destroyed.

Unlike damage, 'destroy' effects are instantaneous and do not linger until the end of turn.

So, once the ability has finished resolving, Monument is put in the graveyard, the creatures lose 'indestructible' and anything other than creatures hit by Elspeth are also killed off.
DonDiggy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monument has a static Ability that makes Creatures indestructible. Elspeths activated Ability wants to destroy Monument+Elves...the point is:

Elspeth destroys all permanents at the same time. The Monument is put into graveyard after the Ability has resolved. So when the Ability resolves, the Elves are still indestructible. In simple words: Your Elves lose their indestructibility right after Elspeth did her job, a little too late Wink
magicman85

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3rd opinion, monument dies, everything that was indestructible at the time of cast lives.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Magic Rulings All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1