Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Deck for PT Paris

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
Tao

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jace the mid sculptor is awful in any blue deck. Give them to me. I'm just a silly who likes blue four drops.
JeZeus

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

~Edit~
@weed
Just finished reading article on U/b prolif, and It has made me change my earlier pre-conceptions. I retract my comment in its entirety. I really like the concept, it looks solid.

In regards to deck choices, Caw go is never a bad option. Good luck to you in the tournament Key.

Last edited by JeZeus on Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
AkYo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't be surprised if someone just ran a block constructed Mono Black infect deck that just wins PT - Paris ... as stupid as that sounds look at the sliver kids.. broke the format w/ poison .. something to think about =]

in hindsight they start at 10 life.. All of these control decks have slower clocks meaning you can prolly get there with the proliferate in the end.

that is why you should test everything even if it sounds like crap.

I was thinking Shape Anew Combo / Infect dot deck or just stay Mono Black for consistency.
Weedmonkey

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DoomBr1nger wrote:
I like your list Weedmonkey, however and despite clogging up the 4CC slots, there's no reason not to run Jace TMS in there along with baby Jaces... I mean, you even got Contagion Clasps to pump him, so that he still grows when brainstorming, he's simply too good to pass on, and besides, T2 Chalice into T3 Jace or Tezz is pretty awesome, consider Sphere of the Suns aswell for mana fixing, along with 4 Chalices.

There might not be a reason not to run Jace TMS, but there's reasons to run baby Jace over it Wink I agree with you that there's a case to run Jace TMS in the deck, but in all honesty I've never missed him when I pulled him out for Baby Jace. The consistency that Jace can bring to Chalice-less hands to help ensure you hit your fourth mana source is almightily crucial, and well worth trading off the bang that Jace TMS brings.

JeZeus wrote:
@Weed
Gogo U/b Tez! Be innovative. In regards to your list though (which for the most part is minty fresh), have you found Lux Cannon to make all that much difference???? Its Pretty slow, even if you have proliferate going. I would suggest something like Ratchet bomb instead, since it kills the only thing your deck doesn't that being Artifacts/Enchantments. ~Edit~ Right Lux Cannon does that too, I forgot Razz but it is slow.

How good it is varies from matchup to matchup, which is why I only have the pair main at the moment. Even with it being slow, against Control a turn 3 Cannon can cause a lot of headaches as most builds still aren't using Steel Sabotage/other ways to get rid of it. Because they have few threats this deck needs to address, Cannon actually shines (especially in conjunction with proliferate as you mentinoed).

Against Valakut it depends entirely on how the game progresses. Early enough it can help in knocking Valakuts off the board, although drawing late it;s more or less deadweight. Aggro it can be useful if you've got some sort of removal to cast alongside it, plus it gets rid of stuff like Eldrazi Monument.

Quote:
It's really your call on using JtMS or JaceB. JtMS allows you to lock your opponent down with Proliferate though. Since you can bounce a creature every turn with no worries, and his Brainstorm ability is pretty neat when you can again proliferate him 1 every round and still draw cards, and if you have both him and Tez on the table it gives you a more then impressive card draw ability. I.e draw 3 with Jace, put two back onto your deck (one of which is possibly an artifact) and then dig 5 with Tez, grabbing an artifact you may or may not have put on top of your deck with jace. Effectively letting you draw off Jace with no downfall.

And those are all valid points Smile What I prefer though is the consistency that Jace B brings in. As I mentioned before, it does help bring the consistency up, which is crucial in smoothing out your draws. It's also a fine turn 3 vs control.

Quote:
Cards worth mentioning;
-Ichor Wellspring is a nice cantrip draw for you, and a prime target to turn into a 5/5
-Ratchet bombs (as mentioned)
-Treasure Mage, its personal choice really but still nice. Lets you run 1x slots of cards such as your Contagion Engine, Thopter Assembly or Myr Battlesphere, which is just awesome for Tez.

- Ichor Wellspring: Cute, and I do run it in my UBw block tezz deck. However, in Standard it just doesn't pull the weight on its own - it's a worse Jace.
- Ratchet Bomb vs Lux Cannon is an interesting one. There's two main questions though that need to be answered regarding this one: 1) what is Ratchet Bomb doing that Lux Cannon/other cards aren't already doing that necessitates inclusion over the Cannon, and 2) Are the numbers I can pop Ratchet Bomb on going to do what I want it to do.
- Treasure Mage...I think more comes down to personal preference, but Tezzeret already does an excellent job of digging, and Trinket Mage has a great package to choose from.

Quote:
As a sidenote on Doomblade vs Go for the Throat, Doomblade might better in many situations. I.e you can if you so choose to turn other peoples artifacts into 5/5 creatures you can then destroy them with removal. Worth at least making it a 2x for your sideboard. Food for thought.

Now this...is an interesting point. The reason I run GftT over Doom Blade at present is because GftT can hit Grave Titan as well (which is a good reason to run GftT to begin with). However, if there are decks that show up with must-kill artifacts, then I think running Doom Blade over GftT is entirely possible Smile Good pick up there Very Happy

To avoid turning this thread into a discussion thread about the deck I posted (since I posted this list to give KeySam ideas for what he does decide to run), I'll write an article/post a thread to talk about my list specifically later on this morning Smile

As for what Engrishskill says, I agree with a lot of it. To play devil's advocate for a moment, what I've found is that for a range of archetypes you can draw on general skills you've developed playing other decks, which means you only need to focus on fine-tuning your play to the metagame (something I've learned from RFT).
Kookie_Mnstr

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duodax wrote:
Must see how you made room for this zenith which actually cannot search out eldrazis.

ummm lasty i checked valakut doesn't run eldrazi...it runs big beastly things like primeval titan and avenger of zendikar...

if your going valakut i would take out the summoning traps from MB for the zeniths. and put the traps SB for control decks
TacoMaster

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Valakut is pretty much the worst deck to play. It's a deck to beat... Not a deck to play. It mulligans like shit 75% of the time and has to draw to its namesake more often than not. The deck is overrated beyond belief and can just blank you to death while running it. Play Magic, not Valakut.

Edit: Also, running a ridiculously gimmicky control build seems like a poor idea. imho, you just need a solid list with redundancy and efficiency. Control is the way to go in my opinion, and it will definitely be taking the PT down.
TacoMaster

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Engrishskill wrote:
Would you consider shape anew to be a gimmicky control deck? I think that it is kind of a gray area...cheating-out big creatures in a deck that has a number of ways to control the game

No, I was more referring to Roo's Proliferate Deck. UB Shape Up is fine. I'd prefer a more direct control build, but it's certainly not a bad deck at all, and I agree that it rests in a gray area.
TacoMaster

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would probably play something along the lines of...

3 Grave Titan
2 Sea Gate Oracle

1 Jace Beleren
4 Jace, the Mind Sculptor

2 Black Sun's Zenith
1 Blue Sun's Zenith
1 Cancel
1 Disfigure
3 Go for the Throat
3 Inquisition of Kozilek
3 Mana Leak
4 Preordain
2 Spell Pierce
3 Spreading Seas
1 Stoic Rebuttal

4 Creeping Tar Pit
4 Darkslick Shores
4 Drowned Catacomb
4 Island
1 Mystifying Maze
1 Scalding Tarn
3 Swamp
4 Tectonic Edge
1 Verdant Catacombs

SB: 2 Clone
SB: 1 Disfigure
SB: 3 Duress
SB: 1 Flashfreeze
SB: 1 Go for the Throat
SB: 2 Memoricide
SB: 1 Negate
SB: 2 Ratchet Bomb
SB: 1 Spreading Sea

I've hated Mana Leak for a long time, but it's still a necessary evil, so I just cut 1... It just gets so bad so fast, and I predict the control decks to do better than the rest of the field in the long run, so leaning more towards that end in the main deck seems better to me. Spell Pierce is much more unexpected from UB, and that's why I like it in here, especially with decks jamming Green Sun's Zenith in their builds, Pierce seems like even more of a blow out. The rest of the deck is rather self explanatory, so I won't really go into it.
DaShakAttack

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im in the same spot as you keysam, I have been testing valakut for a long time and im not sure its the deck to play.

At the same time, I don't have the experience to pilot UB through the PT, if i do audible it will have to be an easier to pilot deck. Maybe you can pull off UB, I might even be able to also, I don't think I want to risk it.

I have been trying to figure out whether to run slagstorms or cobras main. Cobras are better against control and the ramp mirror, slagstorms help against the others.
TacoMaster

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Engrishskill wrote:
Oracles are a card that I have never really liked in Ub. Tapping-out for them feels wrong and playing them later feels underwhelming with other options available. They only dig two deep, so I have always preferred replacing them with the type of card(s) that I would be digging for with them.

I am still somewhat on the fence about whether I like Sphinx of Jwar Isle more than Titans because Sphinxes are a very stable clock. Titans are just extremely powerful, so I will probably just go for them.

Some of the singletons in that deck are a bit odd though. One disfigure seems almost pointless and when I have brought additional copies into my deck, it is usually because I want them for the early game. It's a similar idea with the pierces too because pierces lose their value very quickly.

I am a bit out of the loop for Ub, but early counters/removal are somewhat universal.

Oracles are fine. They've played a similar roll as the Squadron Hawks in Kibler/Nelson's build, and they don't really take away from the deck. However, I've recently just cut three mana guys altogether, as they don't really do a lot. I never liked Nighthawks.

Sphinx seems janky to me. Sure, he flies, and he's cute and all, but that's it. Grave Titan gives you a clock and a defense, which is what you need much of the time. That being said, I am considering 2 Titans and a Wurmcoil Engine, simply due to its immunity to GftT.

Singleton Disfigure is wrong. It was supposed to be a Doom Blade, but I was deleting cards from the list I had saved on my computer, and I deleted Doom Blade instead of Disfigure. However, Spell Pierce is sick, especially with Failakut going all-in on their Zeniths. It allows you more play with your mana for Jaces/Tar Pits beats, and the opportunity to still keep them off their power plays.
World

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here is ur answer run caw go or ub control period u will do well
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3