Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fish

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
Malice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:01 pm    Post subject: Fish Reply with quote

Hello everyone, I'm just starting to get back into standard, but it seems to me like the format is kind of slow with the only exception being the new Kudoltha red decks. I think the format is perfect for a new Fish style deck, or rather WW/u. I've been having pretty good success with this list, let me know what everyone thinks.

25 Creatures

1 drops:

4x Student of Warfare
4x Elite Vanguard

2 drops:

4x Accorder Paladin
4x Kor Aeronaut
4x Leonin Skyhunter
2x Stoneforge Mystic

3 drops:

3x Transcendent Master

Spells: 13

4x Unified Will
2x Mana Leak
3x Spell Pierce
2x Brave the Elements
1x Sword of Feast and Famine
1x Sword of Mind and Body

Lands: 22

4x Seachrome
4x Colonade
4x Glacial Fortress
10x Plains

Sideboard:
4x Kor Firewalker
1x Stoneforge Mystic
1x Basilisk Collar
1x Brave the Elements
2x Journey to Nowhere
3x Revoke Existence
3x Flashfreeze

Feel free to discuss!

Edit: Give people something else to0 discuss, such as what you have been having your aforementioned success against. Whether you talk about these matches is up to you, adding more content is not optional if you don't want a thread deleted.

-EngSk
P_P4E

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks pretty good. I would suggest playing at least 1 more mana source, if not 2 more. 22 lands with equip, level up, and leaving mana up while applying threats might be tough.

I'd switch unified will and mana leak amounts. You can be out-duded by UB, Valakut, UW (ub has grave titan, uw has hawks and elspeth, and valakut has avenger...) and it might be dead at a point where you desperately need disruption. Plus it's strictly worse against aggro.

Why not cut the transcendent master for more stoneforge mystic? Seems fine to leave mana up and EOT into play a sword, then equip and smash leaving up counter mana. Seems like a good fish play to me =/ ... While transcendent master is forcing you to tap mana at sorcery speed to make him bigger, and a ton of mana at that. Have you considered Coralhelm Commander? Very harsh on current mana base, that's a given.

Not sure I like accorder Paladin in here. I think with 8 1 drops, 10 2 drops and the potential of wanting to make student a 3/3 on turn 2, you can cut a couple 2 drops (like i said, I would go up to 4 stoneforge) and add in a BoneHoard (card is sweeeeeet) and possibly a journey to nowhere or into the roil. Once a threat lands against you you're kinda toast, eh?

SB I think Devout Lightcaster would be great in this deck. You have infinite white mana and it's the best spell against vampires and often UB control.

I would much, MUCH rather have the new Leonin WW 2/2 bear that revokes an artifact or enchantment then... well... revoke. It fits the deck so well!

Never cared for basilisk collar on it's own without a sparkmage. It's effect can be played around or minimulized easily.

I think Leonin Arbitor would be fine here. Only a few search effects.

Phyrexian Negator would be decent too, although it doesn't get saved by brave the elements.

I like the deck a lot.
Malice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You bring up many good points; some of which I had been considering already. Just note that this is really the first draft of the deck so far, so my numbers or a few card selections may be off.

Stoneforge mystic was a later addition and I wasn't completely sure how well he would fit into the deck, but not that I've played him a few times I do feel like I will add at least a third. I do like the possibility of holding mana and being able to put a equip into play.

The reason I originally wanted 4 unified wills in the deck was because of the cheap effective removal. Most of the spells that kill creatures now are cards like doom blade, disfigure and GFtT, and I was finding that late game players often had enough mana just to pay the cost of the mana leak. Not to mention that it is dead a lot of times against valakut as well. I may be wrong (and probably am) but will is going to be a hard counter against most decks 85% of the time, and the matches where it is bad it will be boarded out anyway.

I was originally skeptical of transcendent master, but after playing with him a few games, I don't think I want to cut him. The original purpose was to play level up guys who can provide late game offense in long attrition wars. Master gets very big quickly and like the other level up guys, has great synergy with Sword of F and F (as does mystic and counterspells). But point noted.

Accorder Paladin has been great for me thus far for providing great beats. Not only is he a 3/1 for 2, which is good by itself, but battlecry to pump the 1 drop is even better.

I originally had leonin arbitor but dropped it because I was worried about the conflict with stoneforge. I also wanted more fliers because of battlements, walls, and the fact that fliers can block and kill signal pests.

I will add a bonehoard.

My biggest question is, what is the correct Creature to spell ratio. As the case with aggro/control decks, you never want too much of one or the other. I was thinking 2:1 in favor of creatures.

1 Collar out of board was for red decks, but I could easily cut it.

Changes:

+1 mana leak
-1 Unified will

+1 Stoneforge mystic
+1 bonehoard
-2 Transcendent masters

+3 Journey to Nowhere
-1 Transcendent master
-2 Leonin Skyhunter

EDIT:
I upped the count to 4 stoneforge, they are absolutely incredible... It's almost like Sword of Feast or Famine was made for this deck. Equip, swing, untap land for counter backup...

Last edited by Malice on Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Malice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, a quick note, what negator are you talking about?
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1