Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Prerelease-> Play Mirran

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Limited
NahHolmes

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:16 pm    Post subject: Prerelease-> Play Mirran Reply with quote

Mirran is just overpowering. I went to prerelease today and after hearing rumors that Mirran was way OP to Phyrexia I switched last second (I want Green and Black Sun for constructed which was the only reason I was almost into Phyrexia). 100% of people playing R/W Mirran finished 4-0 or 3-1 except for the one who played the mirror in the finals and went 2-2. From what I hear the night before was similar and no Phyrexia player has finished X-0 yet at my local store. W/R just has so much removal and you can play any of your creatures, with Phyrexia you have to focus on infect or not infect so you are limited to 1/2 your creatures being playable or you split your focus and get blown out by W/R as they remove infect creatures and steamroll you. Not to mention the removal from Scars is completely stacked to W/R. There is no reason to pick Phyrexia.
clayparson

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, I had a solid RW metalcraft pool, and it seemed extremely unfair most of the night. Only lost to essentially the same deck, and the nut infect deck (featuring 3 viridian corrupter....on turn 3, 4, 5.......both games.) That said, I think the nut infect decks are extremely difficult to beat, and in my pre-release the top two players were phyrexian, but with only 2 other phyrexians in the top 16.
Magx

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Prerelease-> Play Mirran Reply with quote

[quote=" There is no reason to pick Phyrexia.[/quote]

what about "wanting phyriexian rares" ?
Chefy
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My buddy is looking to be 5-0 with Phyrexian. He infected his way to victory. His opponent's had little trouble with much of his artifacts, but his flying infect creatures were too much to handle for many of them.
rafaruggi

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played in a very small prerelease today (16-man) and finished 2nd in the top4 playing RW with artifacts and metalcraft.

Some nice cards I played:

3 Divine Offering (1 main, 2 side, maybe I should have used 2 main)
2 Leonin Relic-Warder
2 Master's Call (really nice, helps metalcraft Very Happy)
Leonin Skyhunter
Thopter Assembly Very Happy
2 Burn The Impure
Concussive Bolt (swinging for 17 dmg in one turn \o/)
Kuldotha Ringleader

etc Smile

A friend of mine was playing almost the same deck, but with different rares and also made it to the top 4, we played each other and I won.

I lost in the final to some UB control with a lot of infects, Tezzeret and mean artifacts.

Dunno if Mirran is definitely the best, but it is consistent.
Terri

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At our prerelease we were 19 man and 4 out of the top 5 were phyrexian also the 5-0 guy and i think phyrexian is definetely the best faction.
gypsy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not like it matters, you dont have to choose a faction anymore and get to play whatever you opened
NahHolmes

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prerelease goes all weekend, this thread was for people who still hadn't played. Obviously with thousands of places to play Magic some places Phyrexian is going to do well, but overall from everything I've heard locally Mirran is cleaning up except for random cases where Phyrexia opens multiple rare bombs.
P_P4E

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maindeck all your divine offerings.....

That is why you didn't win.
rafaruggi

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a lot of other removals, and I hardly doubt that playing 3 Divine Offering MD would be the right choice given the cards I opened. I lost bcz Tezzeret + that enchantment that steals creature and gives it infect + manascrew were too much for me to handle Wink
Ossy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played Mirran 3 times.
Midnight, 4 am, 9am.
Ohmaigod.
But I also got good bombs to support myself, plus removal.
First pool: Khemba, White Sun, Sunblast Angel 3-1 (R/W)
Second Pool: Steel Hellkite, Thopter Assembly 3-1 (R/U) and 5000 removal spells.
Third Pool: 2x Masticore. 3-1 (R/W)

So yeah.
I liked Mirran.
The last 3-1 was because I wanted to go home due to tiredness. xD
Def should have been 4-0.
pascal3000
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

5-0d my prerelease with the typical pre-MBS RW Aggro deck that i already played at the SOM prerelease and that was probably THE deck to play in Bochum...

Went with Mirran cause i wanted consistency and medium powerlevel instead of a hit or miss deck, because i expected to be able to outplay the people in my community, once i have decent tools to do so.

1 Spikeshot Elder
1 Accorder Paladin
1 Iron Myr
1 Gust-Skimmer
1 Leonin Skyhunter
1 Paladium Myr
1 Spin Engine
1 Blisterstick Shaman
1 Hero of Bladehold
1 Kuldotha Ringleader
1 Kuldotha Flamefiends
1 Darksteel Sentinel
1 Flameborn Hellion

1 Copper Carapace
1 Origin Spellbomb
1 Galvanic Blast
1 Viridian Claws
1 Burn the Impure
1 Divine Offering
1 Master's Call
1 Strider Harness
1 Concusive Bolt

2 Variable Slots (filled by Crush, Peace Strider, 2x Ogre Resister, Koth's Courier, Concusive Bolt and Sylvok Lifestaff. Maindecking Koth's Courier and Ogre Resister. I only really boarded Crush and Peace Strider in my matches.)

8 Mountains
8 Plains
Eldar

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Played Phyrexia at my local Saturday prerelease and went 5-0-1 only drawing with a friend of mine in round 4. Phyrexia took the top 3 at mine and ended up taking half of the top 14 slots. Our prerelease was I believe 41 people.

Pool was pretty good hard to lose with hand of the praetors, geth, and black sun's zenith.

All day even the nutty mirran decks such as ones with hellkite igniter, hero of bladehold, and molten-tail masticore were just getting savaged by the phyrexian faction. Another had masticore and indomitable archangel and still got owned by phyrexia. At our prerelease the best players picked the phyrexian faction and it showed because they just outplayed people all day and the best 3 took the top 3 spots. Although the top 6 was probably 5 of the top players anyway but the ones playing phyrexian finished 1-3 and mirran went 4-6.
Black_Elf

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I won my pre-release 5-0 with RW Mirran, the only bombs to say so were Mirran Crusader and Strata Scythe. The top 5 of our pre-release were all Mirran and the pretty much there was only 1 guy that did moderately well (3-2) with Phyrexian and that's because he had 2 Vatmothers I think.

Mirran is more consistent and as someone said above if you know you can outplay your opponents you should definitely play Mirran, otherwise if you know you're a weaker player phyrexian is probably the best choice as you might get lucky and open thus nuts. Bear in mind that you might fail horribly and go 1-4.
GoneBananas
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i 3-2ed due to shit luck
i was rw mirran
i had 7 rares on color including
1x thopter assembly
1x myr turbine
1x spikeshot elder
1x myr battlesphere(foil)
1x white sun zenith
1x contagion engine
1x temopred steel
with
2 on color myr
2 perilous myr
2 origin spellbomb
1 shatter
1 burn the impure
1 divine offering
2 the +3+1 equip
1 arrest
1 scrapmelter
and some other nuts i cant remember
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Limited All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2