Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

USA: State of the Union Address

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Non-Magic
Bob_A_Wilson

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[PMP]evil wrote:
jonproject wrote:
@PMP: I think Obama being a fiscal anarchist probably has to do with his carefree attitude towards printing money, which I'd definitely agree with.

Not sure how that's really anarchy, but I see your point. I think the value of the dollar is declining because we're in debt causing concern over investment, rather than overprinting. The debt is certainly not Obama's fault.

Definitely not. Bush's outrageous spending on military and religious subsidies, combined with Clinton opening up trade/send all the manufacturing to China pretty much did us in on the economy.
Tao

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HailEris wrote:
[PMP]evil wrote:
jonproject wrote:
@PMP: I think Obama being a fiscal anarchist probably has to do with his carefree attitude towards printing money, which I'd definitely agree with.

Not sure how that's really anarchy, but I see your point. I think the value of the dollar is declining because we're in debt causing concern over investment, rather than overprinting. The debt is certainly not Obama's fault.

Definitely not. Bush's outrageous spending on military and religious subsidies, combined with Clinton opening up trade/send all the manufacturing to China pretty much did us in on the economy.

All of which would've happened just the same, regardless of who happened to get elected president at the time. It's not like Kerry or gore would've done things all that differently.

I don't really believe the gov'ts main focus is it's citizens anymore. It's clearly turned into a huge business.
[PMP]evil

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no way Gore would have spent as much as Bush on the military.
Raybelfast

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Yeah, but it would have been cool if he got assassinated then I had actual proof that I predicted it happening. I could probably make money off that somehow.

If he did get assasinated you would be in guantanamo being interrogated.
Tao

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[PMP]evil wrote:

Bush didn't spend the money. He's not an accountant. He signed the budget documents congress agreed on, which is what Kerry would've had to do if he was prez. Obama's done the same crap too, even after promising he wouldn't.
[PMP]evil

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonproject wrote:
[PMP]evil wrote:

Bush didn't spend the money. He's not an accountant. He signed the budget documents congress agreed on, which is what Kerry would've had to do if he was prez. Obama's done the same crap too, even after promising he wouldn't.

We could debate whether or not we would have even gone to war if Gore was president, but I'm not gonna go into "what if"s.
Tao

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had military presence in the middle east before any president had the decision to actually declare war, something of which is still hazy today. We've been in the middle east since September of 1993, which is a hard fact that you can google if you think i'm an idiot.

I doubt Kerry would've ACTUALLY declared war, but the Patriot Act would've happened all the same, and we'd still have our boys and girls shootin' rifles out in Afghanistan/Iraq, even after Obama got elected after he promised he'd fix that.

The problem is, it takes too much money to run for president. When you borrow from the Federal Reserve and other highly influential corporations for campaigns, they make it real hard for you to get money for the second term campaigns unless you make them happy. I don't know first hand the level of influence the investors have, but I'm sure its more than a tiny bit.

Being the president is still a job. Obama wants to make money, in addition to helping out the country however he can (I hope). In order to keep his job, he (probably) can't fulfill his more drastic campaign promises.

Which is why the whole president system is screwed up in our country. Unless some obscenely rich person wants to fund themselves and run for president AND get elected on top of that, you will always have someone in office who has someone else to answer to when they make presidential decisions.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Non-Magic All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3