Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Create a Card: Round 3

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic
Bob_A_Wilson

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HujuVanikil wrote:
HailEris wrote:
HujuVanikil wrote:
Judgment
WB
Uncommon
Instant

Choose one: Remove target creature from the game, or remove all counters from target permanent.

It's a lie! The evidence has been falsified! It's impossible! I never broke the law, I AM THE LAW!

That should cost 1WB.

It's not vindicate.

Vindicate targeted any permanent.

At any rate, just WB for this spell is bad card designing.
blitzer2k7

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eclipsing Moon 1(u/b)(u/b)

Enchantment - Aura Uncommon

When ~ enters the battlefield, enchanted creature gains a +1/+1 counter.

Enchanted creature doesn't untap during your untap step.

Whenever an opponent plays a spell, untap enchanted creature.

Remove a counter from target creature: Draw a card.
spudfuss2

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nissa's Protege 1rg
Uncommon Elf
If a source an opp. controls counters a creature spell this turn. You may reveal the top card of your library if its a creature, you may put that card into your hand.
2/1
BigShowDT

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cone of Silence
20wug
enchantment

You may reduce the casting cost of Cone of Silence by the difference between your life and 20.

Cone of silence comes into play with X counters where X is half of the difference between your life and 20.

You can not be the target of spells or abilities your opponent controls. You opponent can not be the target of spells or abilities you control. Your opponents can not attack you. You skip your attack phase. Remove a counter for ever point of life you gain or lose. If Cone of Silence has no counters on it, sacrifice it.
HujuVanikil

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HailEris wrote:
HujuVanikil wrote:
HailEris wrote:
HujuVanikil wrote:
Judgment
WB
Uncommon
Instant

Choose one: Remove target creature from the game, or remove all counters from target permanent.

It's a lie! The evidence has been falsified! It's impossible! I never broke the law, I AM THE LAW!

That should cost 1WB.

It's not vindicate.

Vindicate targeted any permanent.

At any rate, just WB for this spell is bad card designing.

Maybe you should let the judge decide that.
Bob_A_Wilson

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorbes wrote:
HujuVanikil wrote:
HailEris wrote:
HujuVanikil wrote:
Judgment
WB
Uncommon
Instant

That should cost 1WB.

It's not vindicate.

make it whatever a "destroy target planeswalker" should cost Smile

Honestly, that card should cost BBW for uncommon. At rare, it would be totally be 1BW. At BW and uncommon, the card is totally over-powered.
Djinn
Level 2 Judge

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perishing Blast | 1UUB
Instant (Uncommon)
Counter target spell and destroy target nonblack creature. You lose 3 life.
Mankind has grown strong in eternal struggles and it will only perish through eternal peace.
Sorrel

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HailEris wrote:
Counter-Counter | 1{G/R}
Enchantment - Uncommon

Spells you control have shroud.
At the beginning of your upkeep, Counter-Counter deals 1 damage to you.

"The waves of invention crash into the nature of man"

Okay, so this is a really clever card. It has the right amount of complexity for an uncommon, and seems mostly in flavor(shroud for red?). By referencing the word 'counter' but don't actually use it I'd usually throw it into the 'clever use but you're not doing what's intended'. However, this actually interacts with counterspells, it's just not blaringly obvious.

This, however, is one of the problems with it. This is an uncommon, and it should generally be immediately obvious what it's primary function is. The second point against it is it's a complete-hosing uncommon card. This is meant to hose counter-control hardcore, and if you resolve it in a combo vs control matchup, you've pretty much won. I don't think this is what we should encourage in our uncommons.

ikazuchi wrote:
Stifling Scar UB
Instant - uncommon

Counter target activated or triggered ability from a creature source.
Then put a -1/-1 counter on that creature.

See, I told you it was bad idea.

This is simple, it's clear, and it's useful against what it's supposed to be useful with. It feels rather narrow, but would make a decent sideboard card.

The flavor of it isn't obvious from text, but I'm imagining someone with a knife. It's not an uncommon I'd be excited to see, but in the right block, I can see picking it up in limited.

Stucco wrote:
Elvish Tracker...................GU
Creature - Elf Shaman........U

Flash
When Elvish Tracker enters the battlefield, you may counter target creature spell with converted mana cost 6 or more. If you do, Scry 2.

2/2

Okay, Mystic Snake for 2 less with the big limitation that it can only counter big creatures. You can always cast it early as a bear, too. Cool and flavorful.

The 'if you do, scry 2' feels like it's starting to try to do a little too much for an uncommon to me. It's not really related to it's 'counter big creatures' thing.

huntergatsby wrote:
2GB Plague of Locusts
Creature type: Locust (U)

When Plague of Locusts comes into play, put a Famine counter on each land in play. When lands with Famine counters become tapped, that lands controller sacrifices that land.

When Plague of Locusts leaves play, remove all counters from all lands.

3/3

"Brenda, Go get my flyswatter. It's time for some bug ass kickin."

This is a really awesome idea. However, it's probably at least a little undercosted for a 3/3 with an armageddon tacked on. LD may be red with a touch of white for blowing up a lot of things, but black does get some 'when tapped is destroyed', and I'm guessing green supplies the creatures here.

However, while the idea is awesome, this is totally a rare. This is not an uncommon in any reasonable set.

HujuVanikil wrote:
Judgment
WB
Uncommon
Instant

I like this as a removal card. Gets rid of those pesky planeswalkers, but isn't limited to Planeswalkers.

There's a couple problems, though. WB seems a little cheap for removing a creature from the game, particularly with the secondary function as well. Why is 'Judgement' removing all counters from a permanent? Why is it called 'Judgement' if it's black/white? Judgement on it's own makes sense for white, but it's not a half black card name. Also, if you kill a planeswalker with it, which I assume is it's secondary purpose, it doesn't remove it from the game. Seems to make more sense to go 'remove target creature or planeswalker from the game'.

Jacois wrote:
1UG Temporal Gunk
Instant
Counter target activated ability. If a permanent's ability is countered in this way, put that permanent on top of its owner's library.

"The gunk grows backwards at a terrifying pace, the retrocausality dragging its host back through time with it."

I like this. It seems UG, referencing Temporal Spring here, and it deals with activated abilities while resetting them.

I think it would be more properly costed at at least UUG, possibly more, but still a really nice card that makes sense as an uncommon.

CharlesT wrote:
Esper Tribunal - WUB
Enchantement - Uncommon
Flash
Multicolors spells you control can not be countered.
You may discard a blue, white or black multicolor card instead of paying Esper Tribunal's mana cost.

Okay, sure, you're making your multicolor spells uncounterable. Flash seems a little powerful, but sure.

...And then you totally lose me with the 'may discard a blue, white, or black multicolor card'. First of all, that's not a very clear way to phrase things, although it would hard to phrase that well without being complex. Secondly, and more importantly, that's absurdly broken while being extremely narrow. It's like super-force of will for very specific decks.

jonproject wrote:
Day of Cleansing (U/G) (U/G) 2
Sorcery
Remove all counters from all permanents and all players.

I'm disrespectful to dirt. Can you see that I am serious?

Nice card, very clear in what it does.

Still, feels like a rare more than an uncommon. Picking up a few of these in draft would just screw infect over, and I kind of feel that this was the intention, but I don't think it's a good thing to have at uncommon. It's a 'screw over counters' card, and would only make sense in a counter-heavy block, where it would ruin the theme of playing with counters by being too common. So yeah.

magicman85 wrote:
Counterbolt

2UR

Counter target spell and do 3 damage to target creature or player.

This is nice, this is clear, this is powerful. Rather than try to get fancy, you went for a combination of two traditional effects that create a 2-for-1 in quite a few situations.

This is probably a little undercosted.

Lynolf wrote:
Exalting Might | 1GW

Instant (U)

Put a +1/+1 counter on target creature you control for each other creature you control. That creature gains trample and vigilance until end of turn.

Messing with the captain's companions is never a good idea... especially when the captain is watching.

Gives two abilities and a possibly huge boost, but if you want to use vigilance, you have to use it beforehand. Seems like it would be fun in limited, although possibly overpowered.

I don't get what the flavor text is about at all here, but that's a pretty small point against it. It also feels like it would almost make more sense as a sorcery.

orphan wrote:
2UW
creature- Bird?
1/3
flying, flash
when ~ enters the battlefield, counter target spell. If a creature spell is countered this way gain 4 life. If a non creature spell is countered this way put a +1/+1 counter on target creature.

1/3 flyer + counterspell for 2UW is pretty much right, maybe a little on the overpowered side.

Then you give it a bonus for both creatures and noncreatures, which boosts it's complexity level to more than it needs to be, and makes it too powerful.

blitzer2k7 wrote:
Eclipsing Moon 1(u/b)(u/b)

Enchantment - Aura Uncommon

When ~ enters the battlefield, enchanted creature gains a +1/+1 counter.

Enchanted creature doesn't untap during your untap step.

Whenever an opponent plays a spell, untap enchanted creature.

Remove a counter from target creature: Draw a card.

This is a fun card. Are you supposed to make a creature not untap quite as much? Untap your Ertai, Wizard Adept each time your opponent plays a spell? Eat all the +1/+1 tokens off an opponent's creature? Eat all the -1/-1 tokens off your own creature? It just has a ton of uses.

This, however, is the problem. The first and the last lines are an awesome card, the second and third lines are a pretty cool card, but with all four together it feels too complex for an uncommon.

spudfuss2 wrote:
Nissa's Protege 1rg
Uncommon Elf
If a source an opp. controls counters a creature spell this turn. You may reveal the top card of your library if its a creature, you may put that card into your hand.
2/1

This ability is horribly templated, and I can't make a lot of sense off of it, which is a lot of points against it. I am assuming it's supposed to read: 'If a source an opponent controls counters a creature spell...' and leave off this turn. Or maybe it's only supposed to work on the turn cast.

So, let's assume it's the former. RG is the anticounter spell, it's not useless if not playing against counters, and it doesn't hose counters too hard. If anything, a little underpoowered, but a neat idea.

BigShowDT wrote:
Cone of Silence
20wug
enchantment

You may reduce the casting cost of Cone of Silence by the difference between your life and 20.

Cone of silence comes into play with X counters where X is half of the difference between your life and 20.

You can not be the target of spells or abilities your opponent controls. You opponent can not be the target of spells or abilities you control. Your opponents can not attack you. You skip your attack phase. Remove a counter for ever point of life you gain or lose. If Cone of Silence has no counters on it, sacrifice it.

Okay, so once I made sense out of it, this was a cool idea.

Problem: it grinds the game to a halt and doesn't tend towards ending itself like Solitary Confinement. Bigger problem: This is not in any way an uncommon card. This is totally a rare.

ck3gds wrote:
Fatigued Warden | 4WU
Creature - Human Wizard (uncommon)
Vanishing 3
Remove a time counter from Fatigued Warden: Choose one - Creatures you control gain protection from the color of your choice until end of turn; or counter target spell unless its controller pays {3}.
1/1

Fatigued Scholar | 4UB
Vanishing 3
Remove a time counter from Fatigued Scholar: Choose one - Return target nonland permanent to its owner's hand; or you draw a card and you lose 1 life.
1/1

Fatigued Destroyer | 4BR
Vanishing 3
Remove a time counter from Fatigued Destroyer: Choose one - Destroy target nonblack creature; or destroy target artifact.
1/1

Fatigued Intimidator | 4RG
Vanishing 3
Remove a time counter from Fatigued Intimidator: Choose one - Up to two target creatures can't block this turn; or creatures you control gain trample until end of turn.
1/1

Fatigued Pack-Leader | 4GW
Vanishing 3
Remove a time counter from Fatigued Pack-Leader: Choose one - Creatures you control are indestructible this turn; or you gain 1 life for each creature you control.
1/1

...Okay. This is a lot of things in a cycle, so I'm going to briefly go through each one.

Warden - Temporarily gives you protection to creatures or soft-counters spells. This feels about right.
Scholar - Draw cards or bounce permanents. This feels a little underpowered.
Destroyer - Destroy artifact or nonblack creature. This feels about right.
Intimidator - Trample or two creatures can't block? This is extremely underpowered. I can see you were going for a 'what does this color pair want to do' each time, but this isn't powerful enough for the cost.
Pack-Leader - Gain a hopefully sizeable amount of life, or prevent all your creatures from dying. Feels about right.

As a whole, these feel more like spells-on-legs then creatures to me, as the 1/1 status of their creatureness will rarely be relevant by 6 mana, which is a point against them for me. I do like the tension of keeping them around or vanishing, but the right decision is probably to just use up all their abilities the turn you get them out most of the time.

Overall, while I really like the flavor and idea going on here, these don't do much for me as cards.

DoomBr1nger wrote:
Purge the Unclean | 1WB

Sorcery (Rare)

Each player sacrifices all permanents with counters on them.

Kill it, kill it with fire!

This is a cool card. I can see lots of fun possible interactions you could do with it.

However, this is a rare. You have admitted it was a rare, and it really looks like a rare to me. So it can't win.

Djinn wrote:
Perishing Blast | 1UUB
Instant (Uncommon)
Counter target spell and destroy target nonblack creature. You lose 3 life.
Mankind has grown strong in eternal struggles and it will only perish through eternal peace.

This is largely the same as Counterbolt, but a little more powerful, but made up for by that you're losing 3 life which will hurt for a control player by the time you hit 4 mana.

I rather like the flavor text, which is rare for me.

--------------------------------------------------

Finalists:

Izakuchi, with Stifling Scar
Stucco, with Elvish Tracker
Jacois, with Temporal Gunk
Lynolf, with Exalting Might
Magicman85, with Counterbolt
Djinn, with Perishing Blast

These are cool cards which make sense as mulitcolored uncommons.

Runner-up:

Jacois, with Temporal Gunk

This combines two standard card powers the same way most of the rest of the finalists do, but does so in a way I find cooler.

Winner:

Stucco, with Elvish Tracker

Despite the unneccessary-seeming-to-me scry 2 that almost made me cut it from finalists, when it comes down to it, I really like the card idea that's going on here.
Tao

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't believe no one spotted the Mr. Sparkle reference..
Tao

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DoomBr1nger wrote:
Oh duh, you asked for an uncommon and i didn't remember it, so obviously I could have just slapped the rarity as uncommon and kept it the same.

Yeah but that would never get printed as-is at uncommon. I did the same thing: made a rare, then realized it was supposed to be uncommon.
Tao

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A big chunk of what makes someone good versus bad at designing cards is having a good sense of what the card would be like if it would be printed.

Obviously this isn't for realz unless someone makes some kinda m-l format to use the cards in. But people take it seriously, and it's gotten competitive.
Djinn
Level 2 Judge

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the record, I hadn't read the uber-improved Suffocating Blast [http://magiccards.info/ap/en/124.html] but I based my card on it. The fact that it needs a creature in play to counter a spell seemed like a drawback to me (this wouldn't be played as 4-of in any control deck). Anyways, I needed to make it worse by losing some life, and 2 was too little whereas 3 could seem too much but fair for an uncommon. Also, the flavour text is a quote from Hitler, but well, too bad my card didn't win this time Smile
blitzer2k7

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. I really liked my card though. But yeah youre probably right it was trying to do too much at uncommon. I think if it had only the second and third ability it wouldnt have been powerful enough but the first and last abilities would have been good for uncommon.
Bob_A_Wilson

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
HailEris wrote:
Counter-Counter | 1{G/R}
Enchantment - Uncommon

Spells you control have shroud.
At the beginning of your upkeep, Counter-Counter deals 1 damage to you.

"The waves of invention crash into the nature of man"

Okay, so this is a really clever card. It has the right amount of complexity for an uncommon, and seems mostly in flavor(shroud for red?). By referencing the word 'counter' but don't actually use it I'd usually throw it into the 'clever use but you're not doing what's intended'. However, this actually interacts with counterspells, it's just not blaringly obvious.

This, however, is one of the problems with it. This is an uncommon, and it should generally be immediately obvious what it's primary function is. The second point against it is it's a complete-hosing uncommon card. This is meant to hose counter-control hardcore, and if you resolve it in a combo vs control matchup, you've pretty much won. I don't think this is what we should encourage in our uncommons.

The green aspect of the Counter-Counter enchantment gives your spells shroud, the red element deals 1 damage to you each turn. I think this card may have been more viable at RG rather than 1{R/G}. Totally useless in limited, except as very random sb card against crazycounters.dec.
Sorrel

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Djinn: It's true, I didn't recognize the additional target was a restriction too. Also, I was like 'wow, awesome line for black, sounds pretty Phyrexian or something', so it's amusing to find out it's Hitler.

HailEris: Ah, that's what the red was. Yeah, I agree RG woulda been a better fit there.

Anyways, I really liked most of these cards, but I tried to judge primarily based on if they fit the restrictions I set up.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3