Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Foil Cards

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Magic Rulings
Bob_A_Wilson

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Section 4.8 of the Magic: The Gathering Infraction Procedure Guide - December 22, 2010, page 15.

Quote:
4.8. Tournament Error Marked Cards

Penalty
Warning

Definition
A player's cards are marked or oriented in a way that could potentially give an advantage to that player.
Examples
A. A player has small marks on a few of his sleeves. The markings are on a Mountain, a Loxodon Hierarch,
and a Lightning Helix.
B. A player without sleeves has several foil cards that stand out significantly from the rest of her deck.
Philosophy
Sleeves and cards often become worn over the course of a tournament, and, as long as the player is not attempting to
take advantage of this (which would be Cheating Manipulation of Game Materials) addressing the situation is
sufficient in most cases. Note that almost all sleeves can be considered marked in some way; judges should keep this
in mind when determining penalties. In cases of marked cards, educating players to shuffle their cards and sleeves
before sleeving the cards is very important.
Additional Remedy
The player needs to replace the card(s) or sleeve(s) with an unmarked version or, if no sleeves are being used, use
sleeves that conceal the markings. If the cards themselves have become marked through play in the tournament, the
Head Judge may decide to issue a proxy. If the player is unable to find replacement cards, he or she may replace
those cards with basic lands for the remainder of the tournament. If he or she chooses to do so, the decklist should
be changed and cannot be reverted, even if replacements are found.
The Head Judge has the option to upgrade this penalty to a Game Loss if he or she believes that a player noticing the
pattern of markings would clearly compromise the integrity of the game.
Blancoke

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can't get normal Student of warfares and you really want to play your deck, the best thing you can do is to have sereval foils in your deck (fe a couple of basic lands, etc). If a judge then says your cards are marked, you will only receive a warning (because he can't accuse you of being a cheater, since you have several foil cards in your deck and the foils are different types, lands creatures etc) and you can ask him to call the headjudge to make proxies (only the headjudge is allowed to make proxies).

And saying your opponent is no lifer because he calls judge for marked cards is kinda stupid... If you play with foils yourself you know when they are slighty bend you can feel it that you will draw that card.

I called a judge once at side event ptq of a gp because (before the round) my opponent had cryptic commands (I just felt it while pileshuffling and at that time, the most problems where with cryptic command). I even told the judge that it was probably 4 cryptic command and the guy only got a warning and the only thing he had to do was to bent the cryptic commands to the other side the whole tournament long after each game (which is obv not good for the card quality).
Bob_A_Wilson

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had foil sets of Stomping Ground, Burning-Tree, Kird Ape, Rumbling Slum, and Silhana Ledgewalker in my deck, and not once did any of those cards ever appear to bend.

Why is that?

Because I use good card sleeves. I'm telling you, don't cheap out on these.
Clariax
Level 3 Judge

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blancoke wrote:
If you can't get normal Student of warfares and you really want to play your deck, the best thing you can do is to have sereval foils in your deck (fe a couple of basic lands, etc). If a judge then says your cards are marked, you will only receive a warning (because he can't accuse you of being a cheater, since you have several foil cards in your deck and the foils are different types, lands creatures etc) and you can ask him to call the headjudge to make proxies (only the headjudge is allowed to make proxies).

Proxies are only issued in two very specific circumstances, 1) a card in a limited tournament comes out of the pack damaged, and 2) a card becomes damaged during the course of play. The judge is not going to issue you a proxy simply because you have a marked card in your deck. If the card is unusable and you don't have a replacement, the judge will give you the option to replace it with a basic land for the remainder of the tournament, not issue a proxy for it.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Magic Rulings All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2