Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Phasing question

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Magic Rulings
Delicious

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:36 pm    Post subject: Phasing question Reply with quote

As one of the most unique abilities in magic, it is also my favorite. Now I have been building a fun multiplayer phasing deck and have a quick question:

When a creature "phases out" does it use the stack and let players respond? Or because it happens BEFORE the untap step, there is no way to respond; with a bounce or destroy.

Thanl you <3
aqualad33
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

702.23a Phasing is a static ability that modifies the rules of the untap step. During each player's untap step, before the active player untaps his or her permanents, all phased-in permanents with phasing that player controls "phase out." Simultaneously, all phased-out permanents that had phased out under that player's control "phase in."

it's status changes, it is not a triggered ability and therefor cannot be responded to.
Delicious

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew i was right. Thanks aqua
aqualad33
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah they never change zones the just "are treated as though they do not exist" also note that enchantments and such stay attached to the creature, and phase out as well, its the second kind of phasing I think it was called phasing by association or something like that.
Farseer
Level 3 Judge

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indirect phasing.

Quote:
702.23f When a permanent phases out, any Auras, Equipment, or Fortifications attached to that permanent phase out at the same time. This alternate way of phasing out is known as phasing out “indirectly.” An Aura, Equipment, or Fortification that phased out indirectly won’t phase in by itself, but instead phases in along with the permanent it’s attached to.
Delicious

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another question:

Since they change zones, do you get come into play or leaving play effects?
Hardtrack

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are not changing zones. Something that phases out does not go to any other zone, it stays on the Battlefield, it's just treated as though it doesn't exist.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Magic Rulings All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1