Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How do I become a better control player?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic
huntergatsby

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems like a totally new Magic-League. I was expecting a doucher to troll and tell you to quit Magic. I'm impressed...

Does the strategy change if you are using a bw control deck.
san

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Does the strategy change if you are using a bw control deck.

If that is a question...

I think is broader. Control follows IMHO three archetypes, each deck being some point in between them

Permission, whose classic example is muc. Totally reactive, stops spells, has troubles with permanents.

Hate, which BW can sometimes be. Also reactive, but destroys permanents instead of spells.

Board Control, which old tradewind/geddon deck was, which doesnt destroy anything, but just locks you out.

Of course some decks fall somewhere midpoint of these categories (classic UB control was permission/hate, some staxx builds are board-hate, and some UW control has been board/permission...)

I think colours of course tend towards a certain direction (U is the colour of permission, B is good at hate, and W at board AND at hate... R and G were always worse for control IMHO, except in very specific contexts...), and those directions imply different styles of play and possibilities...
NahHolmes

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no magic formula anyone can tell you to be better at control. You have to know the format, be able to tell what your opponent is likely playing, and know when to play a spell or sit back and let your opponent beat your face for a while and of course deckbuilding skill is much more important when playing control. Straight control is by far the hardest deck type to play. Some people will never master it just because it's not the way they play Magic. I can't play aggro that well. When I build an aggro deck I always end up wanting to put too many control elements in it and when I netdeck I often lose games for holding back "just incase." If you play control and end up being just all around better with aggro stick with aggro. Also where did you top 8? Was it 100+ person event or just some random tournament?
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2