Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Evil little green men

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
aqualad33
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:32 pm    Post subject: Evil little green men Reply with quote

This is an elf deck that I have been trying out and tweeking quite a bit, it has a great mu vs. eldrazi ramp, and ux control decks.

// Deck file for Magic Workstation (http://www.magicworkstation.com)

// Lands
18 [ROE] Forest (3)
4 [ZEN] Oran-Rief, the Vastwood

// Creatures
4 [M11] Llanowar Elves
3 [ZEN] Nissa's Chosen
4 [WWK] Arbor Elf
4 [ROE] Joraga Treespeaker
3 [WWK] Joraga Warcaller
2 [SOM] Ezuri, Renegade Leader
4 [M11] Elvish Archdruid

// Spells
4 [ZEN] Eldrazi Monument
3 [ZEN] Nissa Revane
4 [SOM] Genesis Wave
3 [M11] Garruk Wildspeaker

// Sideboard
SB: 3 [M11] Acidic Slime
SB: 3 [M11] Leyline of Vitality
SB: 3 [WWK] Leatherback Baloth
SB: 3 [M11] Obstinate Baloth
SB: 3 [SOM] Mimic Vat

most of the card choices are rather standard, I wanted to have a full 12 1cc mana elves to make the mana generation consistent. I noticed a lot of people play 4 nissa's chossen, but I think three is the right number, other cards are more important in the deck and the main purpose of nissa's chosen is to be tutored for.

now for my choices of buffs
ezuri/archdruid/warcaller-standard choices, I dropped the warcaller count to three because although it can be a game breaker it has a very unilateral purpose, and not very good in the face of a wrath or ratchet bomb

eldrazi monument, unlike most people, I play a FULL four. In my experience this card is just so unbelievably powerful. It protects you from consume the meek, gives you that extra damage plus evasion to kill that ramp player sooner then he or she expected, same goes for control, and on top of that you can even lease some indestructible blockers back to defend. In sum, awesome card!

garruk-does a lot: drops 3/3's to help be aggro, adds mana to your mana pool, and can end a game the turn after it comes into play.

genesis wave-a full four because the card advantage this generates is simply awe inspiring...it is basically put the top 8-15 cards of your library into play, which is awesome especially if you hit either eldrazi monument or ezuri with a couple lands.

now with those small tweeks explained here's the sb

acidic slime-still untested, the theory is that it will be good vs. quest and will stop any argentum armor shenanigans

leyline of vitality-pyroclasm/arc trail/disfigure protection & the lifegain is supposed to help, still untested though

leatherback/obstinate baloth:for those pesky aggro decks, a turn 2 leatherback is an awesome defender, and once the monument hits a 5/6 indestructible flying ends games very quickly as for obstinate, a turn slower and has life gain, awesome!

mimic vat: this one actually suprized me quite a bit. Originally I only played one and was fortunite enough to draw it against control. I played one on turn 2 then a monument and my opponent quit, then I realized just how good it is especially with all the mana! some tricks that I realized were to get ezuri onto it, giving you even better protection against mass removal, and an 8 mana overrun, acidic slime gives you land destruction each turn, and obstinate baloth on a stick is a strong aggro defence.

that's my analisis so far. Can't wait to hear your thoughts on my deck, feel free to leave comments and ask questions, I'm always looking for critiques.
aqualad33
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stucco wrote:
Your list is extremely similar to a list I've been running. How is your record vs decks running Pyroclasm? I have 4 Leyline in my sb and it doesnt' help all that much.

dunno, haven't went against anything with it yet, what decks use it though that I should worry about?
MTGmanLA

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anything with red. I started having success at my local FNM with Quest WW and Kuldotha Red and people with red starting main decking 1 or 2 pyroclasms. It became real annoying real fast.

Here is the elf list I use to run when I used elves:

4 Oran-Rief, the Vastwood
14 Forest

4 Arbor Elf
4 Elvish Archdruid
4 Joraga Treespeaker
4 Joraga Warcaller
4 Llanowar Elves
3 Nissa's Chosen
4 Sylvan Ranger

4 Ezuri, Renegade Leader
3 Eldrazi Monument
3 Nissa Revane
2 Garruk Wildspeaker
3 Genesis Wave

// Sideboard:
SB: 1 Genesis Wave
SB: 3 Acidic Slime
SB: 4 Leyline of Vitality
SB: 2 Tajuru Preserver
SB: 3 Vines of Vastwood
SB: 2 Sword of Body and Mind

When it worked it worked. like turn 4-5 you have Elves that just laugh at pyroclasm. But when it didnt work...well...tears happened. crying and praying...thats all I could do.
san

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play a very similar list, with a few changes.

I dont play oran-rief. I run 4 tectonic edges. It ruins ramp and control decks if you slow them a single turn.
I dont play monument nor genesis wave. It might seem strange, but I prefer every single card to be an immediate threat, and consistence at the expense of power. I play 4x fauna shaman instead, and 4x everything (except 2x Ezuri). Fauna Shaman is a nice, consistent 2 drop that saves you games (tutoring ezuri, or tutoring acidic slimes in g2/g3) or gets hated "just in case".

I run 4x brittle effigy in the sb (simple, unexpected, easy to resolve), most other things are the same.
san

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thing:

4x nissas chosen is something I really like. Especially if leyline of vitality is in, it becomes a red-stopper with 4 toughness. But 3 is already quite good.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1