Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Greater Good Gifts

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Casual or Other Decks
kev41

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:21 am    Post subject: Greater Good Gifts Reply with quote

My Greater Gifts Build, inspired in one of the most powerful decks from Standard when Kamigawa was still legal, elevating five players to 1st place in their respective championships in 2005, placing 19 more into Top 8, and has topped off its career by making an undefeated 6-0 run in the Standard portion of World Championships 2005 by Frank Karsten, achieving 2nd place in the end.

Quote:

In essence, this deck is a Gifts Ungiven deck. However, not only does it possess the ability to tutor and recur huge threats against its opponent, but it also gains the chance to lock down their board or drain their life (via Yosei, the Morning Star or Kokusho, the Evening star respectively), and draw five cards (discarding three) upon the death of the threat (Greater Good). This resulting card draw often provides the deck with additional recursion or threats, making it very difficult for the opponent to match the card advantage and tempo loss provided by the sacrificed Spirit Dragons, time and time again.

Additionally, the deck differs from some more primitive builds of Gifts by running Wrath of God for board-clearing power to stabilize against aggro, along with the ever-popular Kagemaro, first to suffer/Goryo's Vengeance/Attack and Sac trick.

As in many other modern builds of Gifts, Hana Kami and Death Denied have been relegated to the Sideboard to increase efficiency and avoid disruption in certain matchups. In the first game, this means that the deck lacks the capacity to endlessly loop back its creatures (Hana Kami to return Death Denied, Death Denied to return Hana Kami and any other creatures in your graveyard, rinse and repeat; or return an Arcane spell with Hana Kami and cast it splicing Soulless Revival). But since the deck's long game is already quite strong, it can afford to keep them on the sidelines except against decks with a slower pace and fewer ways to disrupt the loop.

// Lands 23
1 Miren, the Moaning Well
1 Shizo, Death's Storehouse
1 Godless Shrine
1 Watery Grave
1 Temple Garden
3 Stirring Wildwood
1 Minamo, School at Water's Edge
4 Forest
1 Island
2 Swamp
2 Plains
2 Marsh Flats
1 Verdant Catacombs
1 Misty Rainforest
1 Overgrown Tomb

// Creatures 12
4 Sakura-Tribe Elder
1 Kagemaro, First to Suffer
4 Yosei, the Morning Star
2 Kokusho, the Evening Star
1 Eternal Witness

// Spells 15
3 Greater Good
3 Goryo's Vengeance
1 Reclaim
2 Farseek
4 Kodama's Reach
4 Wrath of God
3 Gifts Ungiven
3 Sensei's Divining Top
2 Maelstrom Pulse

// Sideboard 15
SB: 1 Cranial Extraction
SB: 1 Death Denied
SB: 1 Hana Kami
SB: 1 Hideous Laughter
SB: 1 Rending Vines
SB: 1 Soulless Revival
SB: 1 Keiga, the Tide Star
SB: 4 Defense Grid
SB: 1 Meloku the Clouded Mirror
SB: 1 Ink-Eyes, Servant of Oni
SB: 1 Dosan the Falling Leaf
SB: 1 Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir

Now, open to Legacy format, with an immensely greater card pool than in T2, there are new ways to power up this deck. With that, I opt to change some cards for better choices now available, but staying out of touch with super ancient cards and the like. So I find some 'support' cards that can be changed for 'upgraded' cards, so is the case of Eternal witness over recollect, and for the 2 available slots for removal I have opt for maelstrom pulse. However, there are other candidates for removal such as putrefy, mortify, oblivion ring and vindicate, that have came to my mind at first glance, but I'm not sure of those cards since the first two are Instants, and the other ones are more versatile, since they can hit Planeswalkers, Creatures, Enchantments, Artifacts, and even Lands.

The reason I post this deck here is because I'm looking for new possibilities outside from Kamigawa for this deck, and want to make it the strongest it can without messign up its essence. I also want to fit in Planeswalkers. Elpeth and Jace seems like good deals for the deck, but it's hard to fit them in and don't mess up with the general strategy of the deck.

Things to take in consideration while taking a look at the deck and playing it:

1. No need for a 4th copy of each key card since you have Gifts Ungiven to fetch for cards, and Sensei's Divining top to fix the draws.
2. Remember Goryo's Vengeance removes the creature at end of turn if it is still in play. So if no Greater Good is in the battlefield, then play around it. Play a 2nd dragon to kill them both, pulse it, etc.
GreenBear

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This will not be powerful enough for legacy, this is a format of force of will, waste land, rishdan port, counterbalance plus top etc. It will either be to slow or thwarted by the poweful mana denial, counterspell suites avaliable to the format. Wastelands really hurt this deck with only 23 lands.
kev41

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManfredByron wrote:
This will not be powerful enough for legacy, this is a format of force of will, waste land, rishdan port, counterbalance plus top etc. It will either be to slow or thwarted by the poweful mana denial, counterspell suites avaliable to the format. Wastelands really hurt this deck with only 23 lands.

I know, that is why I posted this deck under the Casual and Other Decks forum. Its for casual play. With the people I play, we build decks like this, mostly old T2 decks, and the like, improving them with a greater card pool from legacy format, but staying away from very old, broken cards
GreenBear

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah sorry missed the casual part.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Casual or Other Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1