Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

U/G Polymorph

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
P_P4E

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seems perfectly fine as it is. I might try terastadon main deck and the leviathan sideboard, but its fine either way.

I'd cut deprive and play something else.

I'd cut gaea's revenge from the board.

Summoning trap is going to fail way too often, and not cost 0 ever. I'd cut it.

Ratchet bomb is pretty good. I'd run that. Probably better than obstinate baloth, although casting a baloth then polymorphing into more baloth isn't terrible.

Maybe 1 more garruk maindeck? I can't see it hurting, but i can see you wanting to draw it. alt-win with overrun and tokens too

Dread Statuary could make a 1-2 of appearance also.

I'd SB 4 jace beleren if you have them. Against those deck delaying the mind sculpter could mean business, plus its an alt win since they can't really molest it very easily.

Cobra trap is something that might be useful. If they tech edge you or something you get the tokens and smash them, or if they kill your garruk, etc. Plus its an instant so you can on turn 5 or whatever cast it EOT then polymorph. Might not be awesome but if it resolves its 4 tokens which is a good number.
Tao

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd leave the creature targets as just Iona and Emrakul for the main, Stormtide Leviathan probably isn't strong enough to win the game on his own against decks that have been applying pressure. I'd replace the spot with the 3rd garruk P_P4E mentioned. However, I wouldn't cut both the deprives, it's prob good as a singleton, and the other slot should def be the 3rd spell pierce, as its amazing at protecting mass polymorph when you're trying to go off against blue decks.
Pushover

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The issue with mass polymorph decks is that it cannot win without either hardcasting one of 3ish creatures, or somehow winning with planeswalkers. ozmosis found a good way to mix UG ramp with Mass Polymorph.

// NAME: UG Mass Polymorph - ozmosis

// Lands
4 [M10] Sunpetal Grove
4 [ARC] Khalni Garden
4 [ZEN] Misty Rainforest
3 [M10] Glacial Fortress
3 [ZEN] Plains (1)
3 [ZEN] Island (1)
4 [ZEN] Forest (1)
2 [WWK] Tectonic Edge

// Creatures
1 [PRE] Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
1 [ZEN] Iona, Shield of Emeria
4 [M11] Primeval Titan
3 [WWK] Avenger of Zendikar

// Spells
2 [M10] Garruk Wildspeaker
4 [9E] Mana Leak
4 [SOM] Elspeth Tirel
2 [WWK] Jace, the Mind Sculptor
4 [ROE] Growth Spasm
4 [WWK] Explore
2 [ROE] See Beyond
3 [M11] Mass Polymorph

// Sideboard
SB: 2 [ZEN] Spreading Seas
SB: 2 [M10] Naturalize
SB: 2 [ZEN] Summoning Trap
SB: 2 [M10] Flashfreeze
SB: 2 [ZEN] Day of Judgment
SB: 2 [ZEN] Spell Pierce
SB: 1 [SOM] Ratchet Bomb
SB: 1 [ROE] Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre
SB: 1 [WWK] Terastodon

This was ozmosis' UGw list that did pretty well in a T2 trial. Playing a titan gives you 2 plant tokens from khalni gardens and then helps thin your deck out. Avenger naturally gives you a ton of tokens, and ofc combos when polymorphing with titans entering the battlefield. I liked what he did with the deck, see beyond is potentially better than preordain, because it allows you to put your emrakul/iona back in the deck if you draw it.

The only real changes to the SB I would make would be change naturalize to nature's claim, and maybe change ulamog.

Bleh just read you were building on budget, but See Beyond is something to definately look at.
P_P4E

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bobbob247 wrote:
The issue with mass polymorph decks is that it cannot win without either hardcasting one of 3ish creatures, or somehow winning with planeswalkers. ozmosis found a good way to mix UG ramp with Mass Polymorph.

// NAME: UG Mass Polymorph - ozmosis

// Lands
4 [M10] Sunpetal Grove
4 [ARC] Khalni Garden
4 [ZEN] Misty Rainforest
3 [M10] Glacial Fortress
3 [ZEN] Plains (1)
3 [ZEN] Island (1)
4 [ZEN] Forest (1)
2 [WWK] Tectonic Edge

// Creatures
1 [PRE] Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
1 [ZEN] Iona, Shield of Emeria
4 [M11] Primeval Titan
3 [WWK] Avenger of Zendikar

// Spells
2 [M10] Garruk Wildspeaker
4 [9E] Mana Leak
4 [SOM] Elspeth Tirel
2 [WWK] Jace, the Mind Sculptor
4 [ROE] Growth Spasm
4 [WWK] Explore
2 [ROE] See Beyond
3 [M11] Mass Polymorph

// Sideboard
SB: 2 [ZEN] Spreading Seas
SB: 2 [M10] Naturalize
SB: 2 [ZEN] Summoning Trap
SB: 2 [M10] Flashfreeze
SB: 2 [ZEN] Day of Judgment
SB: 2 [ZEN] Spell Pierce
SB: 1 [SOM] Ratchet Bomb
SB: 1 [ROE] Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre
SB: 1 [WWK] Terastodon

This was ozmosis' UGw list that did pretty well in a T2 trial. Playing a titan gives you 2 plant tokens from khalni gardens and then helps thin your deck out. Avenger naturally gives you a ton of tokens, and ofc combos when polymorphing with titans entering the battlefield. I liked what he did with the deck, see beyond is potentially better than preordain, because it allows you to put your emrakul/iona back in the deck if you draw it.

The only real changes to the SB I would make would be change naturalize to nature's claim, and maybe change ulamog.

Bleh just read you were building on budget, but See Beyond is something to definately look at.

Yes. UGw is better. But he doesn't have lots of money. This deck is a couple hundred more than the UG version.
MTGmanLA

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played against a deck that used polymorph at my most recent FNM and he had Lotus Cobra and that Oracle of Del whatever card as well as the Emrakul and stuff.
Alandariel

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Engrishskill: It's a fine deck on a budget as long as you can protect the combo.

4x Spell Pierce main is a MUST. If you don't need them game two side them out, but they HAVE to be there game one against control and it's not really ever a dead card in this format. You could even cut two Leaks for it.

4x See Beyond is also a must. Losing Ponder hurt this deck a lot, and your big guys NEED to be in your deck to win you the game. It's fine by itself too, so you might as well run four.

I would honestly just cut Mana Leak altogether. You're a combo deck, and you should try to power out the combo. 4x Spell Pierce and 2x Deprive should get you what you want in the counterspell department, and you can add a couple Dispels to the side if you want. You should definitely run 24 land since you need to at LEAST get to six and you're running 4x Explore. You can also cut the Mass Polymorph count to three to be honest... you only really need one. It just needs to resolve. Terastodon main might be a good idea, but three creatures is enough and the three you have are optimal I think. Scrap the Summoning Traps, you're going to whiff virtually every time. Gaea's Revenge isn't great either. Autumn's Veil is surprisingly effective in this deck... run four of it in the board I think.

Other than that, I don't see much wrong with your list. Test and tweak, test and tweak. Find what works for you and tell the trolls and elitists to shove it while your Emrakul breathes down their neck.
JSUOversoul

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a combo deck, but if you played the previous version of Polymorph, then you should know that you play it like a control deck that just happens to win with a combo. Kenji Tsumura wrote about it, I forget which site had the article, but he was right. You could cut a couple Leaks, yeah, but I would not cut them all.

That being said, I agree with some other things that have been said. You need at least 24 land (I'd go 25, even with Explores), See Beyond should be a 4-of, swap the Terastodon into the main over the Leviathan, and if/when you get the money, invest in Jaces. Not just for this deck, but ANY deck you plan to play that contains blue.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1