Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Create-A-Card: Round 6

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic
Halldir

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lynolf and that many creature tutor is not broken?Very Happy
Lynolf

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Halldir wrote:
Lynolf and that many creature tutor is not broken?Very Happy

I believe not, and let me explain why:

The mana cost was based specially on Eladamri's Call. I thought "well, it lets you search a creature for two mana, so if I made it to search X creatures for X mana and wanted to search for only one of them, I would pay three mana for it". That seemed good, until I compared it with Jace's Ingenuity. Sure, it let's you draw three random cards, which has the valuable point of drawing other things you might need at the moment, like powerful sorceries or planeswalkers. But with this card, you could search for some powerful end-gaming creatures, or creatures useful for the current game situation. So I added one mana more to it.

I wanted to add convoke to the card, so I added one more green mana to balance the card, and made it a sorcery to make it more challenging in terms of game play. But because it was now a sorcery, many players wouldn't want to use it in their decks, since everyone loves instants, and loves cards that can help fight the blue counterspell menace (like me). Also, Congregation at Dawn (a card from the Selesnya Conclave), a popular card in that era, as well as Eladamri's Call, where instants. Also, green and white decks take some time to produce tokens, and are more midrange than every other archetype, so this card wouldn't be used up to broken levels in the first turns of the game. When it would become active, the opposing decks should already have a proper board position to fight whatever threats your deck could search. So I turned it to instant again and the card stood like this.

I'll leave it for the judge to decide if the card is broken or not Mr. Green
Tao

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude that GGW instant that puts three guys on top of your library was broken. That's ban-able before playing even one game with it..
CharlesT

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coiling Thought | 1UUG
Sorcery - Rare

Reveal the top card of your library. If it's a land card, put it onto the battlefield. Otherwise, put that card into your hand.

When Coiling Thought becomes the target of a spell or ability, exile it.

Recure (Exile that spell as it resolves. At the beginning of your next upkeep, you may cast that card from exile without paying its mana cost if it was exiled this way.)

"Your coils alone won't allow you in, elf druid."
-Seshiro.

Card Spoiler :

Last edited by CharlesT on Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:07 am; edited 1 time in total
blitzer2k7

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CharlesT wrote:
Coiling Thought | 1UUG
Sorcery - Rare

Reveal the top card of your library. If it's a land card, put it onto the battlefield. Otherwise, put that card into your hand.

Recure (Exile that spell as it resolves. At the beginning of your next upkeep, you may cast that card from exile without paying its mana cost if it was exiled this way.)

-Seshiro.

Card Spoiler :
so youre bringing the rebound key word back from RoE eh?
bugaga

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fire and Stomp 1RGG
Sorcery (Rare)
Fire and Stomp can't be countered.
Fire and Stomp deals 3 damage to target player. Put a 3/3 green Beast crature token onto the battlefield.
CharlesT

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blitzer2k7 wrote:
so youre bringing the rebound key word back from RoE eh?

I think the ability is slightly better than rebound and also slightly better than epic. Obviously pretty similar and of course inspired by them.

I understand both those mechanic had limits and drawback, but I believe that by being careful with what ability are put together with them those limits and drawback are not essential. Recure offers a viable ability, that designers would have to be carefull with of course, but that would represent more excitement for players.

Also, combining it with the second ability, spells with Recure could be dealt with cards such as Vexing Shusher, where we could see more cards targeting spells and not just permanents.

Special note : The flavor text references "in" for the tribal snake's graveyard, as the card by itself can not go to the graveyard and coiling oracle being a elf druid, unique for a snake. And him, trying turn after turn to come back in the form of a thought.
maps

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mindsplitting
UUB
Rare
Instant

Target player puts the top 20 cards of their library into their graveyard. Then that player searches his or her library for 3 cards and put 1 into their hand, 1 on top of their library and 1 on the bottom of their library.

The 20 cards is very powerful as instant speed mill, which is why I allow the targeted player to choose their cards rather than the cards caster.
CharlesT

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maps wrote:
Mindsplitting
UUB
Rare
Instant

Target player puts the top 20 cards of their library into their graveyard. Then that player searches his or her library for 3 cards and put 1 into their hand, 1 on top of their library and 1 on the bottom of their library.

The 20 cards is very powerful as instant speed mill, which is why I allow the targeted player to choose their cards rather than the cards caster.

Think about a graveyard based deck, like reanimator. You allow yourself to mill 20, than tutor twice (1 hand, 1 top) and IN INSTANT! This seems absolutely broken.
maps

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CharlesT wrote:
maps wrote:
Mindsplitting
UUB
Rare
Instant

Think about a graveyard based deck, like reanimator. You allow yourself to mill 20, than tutor twice (1 hand, 1 top) and IN INSTANT! This seems absolutely broken.

You are correct, however, the only reanimation in either standard or extended that is really playable is makeshift manequin, and even when you get your Iona back, it is fairly easy to destroy for any of the top tier extended decks.

In legacy, dredge is still the better, more resilient graveyard deck although it wouldn't hurt at all to introduce a new deck to legacy, especially one that is so easily disrupted.
GreenBear

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

High Courts Verdict 1UW

instant - uncommon

Counter target spell draw a card.

A most profitable conclusion.
Lynolf

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManfredByron wrote:
High Courts Verdict 1UW

instant - uncommon

Are you kidding me? How is this not broken?

If I were to vote, and couldn't vote for myself obviously, it would be Bugaga's card, for the simple fact that it's the most balanced card among all these between brokeness and power. Mr. Green
Bob_A_Wilson

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bugaga's is definitely my favorite so far.

Quote:
Nivix's Desire (1)(U/R)(U/R)
Instant
Rare

Draw 3 cards, then discard a card. Nivix's Desire deals damage to target creature or player equal to the number cards drawn this turn.

This is so broken. Ya took brainstorm, which is broken to begin with, even at 3cmc, you tweaked that to net you 2 cards, which is par for 3cmc, but having you discard a card after drawing these 3 is where this is really broken. Think about it, draw into 3 good cards then discard a random land?

And then to the burn part. You're looking at 4 damage to anything, instant speed, which cmc 3 does not do without a drawback of some sort. Of course, 4 damage is the minimum you're gonna be doing that turn, cuz god forbid you're playing Type 1 and have a brainstorm in hand with 4 mana...

This card seriously needs a drawback. I would make it do something like deal damage to you equal to the damage that it does. Sure, it's still over-powered, but it's suicidal too, which really shines because the UR color-mojo is definitely prone to being suicidal. Chaos+Intelligence

Quote:
Dimir Bloodpact | (u/b)UB
Sorcery - (R)

Search your library for a card, reveal it, put it into your hand, then shuffle your library.
You lose life equal to that card's converted mana cost.

Not a bad card if you make it UB. Remember that hybrid cards are gonna add to the card's power-level, thus making the cost for it higher. The card seems like a fun include for the Dimir guys, and if it were a hybrid card at a mythic rarity, then this would be an auto include in almost ever blue or black deck as well.

Quote:
Fogged Lightning (U/R) Instant

Choose one: Deal target creature or player 2 damage; Counter target spell unless its controller pays (1)

This is my second favorite card right now. Good werk!

Quote:
crypt ritual 2GB
sorcery: R
return target creature from your graveyard to play

dredge 3

I could see this being a bomb in limited and maybe even finding it's place in a BG deck as their 3rd turn sorcery, bringing back something ridiculous to attack next turn, or burping up a Nicol Bolas into play with an Anger in the graveyard. Good reanimation!

Quote:
Summon the Mindbreaker | (B/R)(B/R)(B/R)
Sorcery (Rare)
As an additional cost to cast Summon the Mindbreaker, discard X cards.
Put a X/X black and red Elemental creature token with trample and haste onto the battlefield. It has "Whenever this creature deals combat damage to an opponent, that player discards that many cards." Exile it at the beginning of your next end step.
"I devote my pain and your suffering to Rakdos."

Fun and interesting card, seems like it would fit with a bunch of Owls, Mines, Bells, etc. Probably would shine in mono black discard, but I can't see this being a good things for red...

Quote:
Possess | 2UUB
Sorcery (Rare)

As an additional cost to cast Possess, sacrifice a nonland permanent
Gain control of target permanent. (This effect lasts indefnitely.)

"My minions pride themselves for blind obedience, obssession even. For their defalcation, I easily suffice. - Szadek to Jace"

I might would play this in a limited environment, but it would probably be more of a sb card, unless they really had something I wanted.

Quote:
Deliverance WB
Instant
Remove target creature from the game or return target creature card from your graveyard to your hand.

Other than this being the inspiration for a lot of future banjo jokes, it seems good. 2cmc, instant-speed removal is where it's at, and removing from game on top of that. I would probably say this over-powered unless it were a rare.

Quote:
Disassemble(is this taken? meh) | (1)(G/W)
Sorcery (uncommon)

Destroy Target Artifact or Enchantment

Draw a Card.

Seems more like a meta-game matter if you would md it or not. I like that you slowed down naturalize to make it a free spell that's also playable by white.

Quote:
Steal hope
sorcery UB
Target opponent reveals his or her hand. You choose a nonland card from it. That player discards that card.
Draw a card.

Good card advantage, seems like it would fit in nicely with UB control, or maybe even a UB aggro (faeries?)

Quote:
Call of Vitu-Ghazi | X1GGW
Instant (R)
Convoke (Each creature you tap while casting this spell reduces its cost by 1 or by one mana of that creature’s color.)
Search your library for up to X creature cards, reveal them, and put them into your hand. Then shuffle your library.
"Our guild is a lot like a swarm of bugs: it doesn't matter how many of them you squash along the way, many more will come, until you become inevitably overwhelmed."
— Chorus of the Conclave

I think this card is extremely broken in token decks with a creature-toolbox, but that being said, nothing that WotC wouldn't print. Probably my 3rd or 4th favorite.

Quote:
Coiling Thought | 1UUG
Sorcery - Rare

-Seshiro.

So if I tried to copy your sorcery, I would counter it? I dunno how this card works. Can someone explain it to me?

Quote:
Fire and Stomp 1RGG
Sorcery (Rare)
Fire and Stomp can't be countered.
Fire and Stomp deals 3 damage to target player. Put a 3/3 green Beast crature token onto the battlefield.

Definitely my favorite so far, which might have something to do with my love for Grull. I'd maindeck this, and have either Stonewood Invocation or Might of Oakes in the sb to switch out for certain matches (like anything involving a Kukosho).

Quote:
Mindsplitting
UUB
Rare
Instant

Glimpse was unthinkable...(see what I did there?) and this is definitely even more unthinkable than glimpse. I'll be honest, I don't like it. It's gonna either be part of an auto-win combo (twincast?), or it's gonna let every scrub with a mill deck finally win a match or two.

Quote:
High Courts Verdict 1UW

instant - uncommon

Eh, they printed Cryptic Command, so why not? Good card, I don't like it at all, but good card.

---------------------------------------------------

I'll announce the winners at about 8pm when all the entries are in. Good luck and feel free to edit your entry.
ykpon
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mindsculptor's Nightmare UB
Instant - Rare
Remove all counters from target permanent.
Draw a card.
P_P4E

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ykpon wrote:
Mindsculptor's Nightmare UB
Instant - Rare
Remove all counters from target permanent.
Draw a card.

maindeck? maybe, but probably not.

But this being printed would be the sweetness.

I'm still convinced my card is the best without being broken, although 1WU counterspell draw a card is also not necessarily broken. Maybe make it UUW like absorb.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3