Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Walk through the Zoo

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
DeVoursneyNR

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:40 am    Post subject: Walk through the Zoo Reply with quote

[spoiler=What is Walk Through the Zoo?]Walk Through the Zoo is basically a RGW deck that focuses on Fauna Shaman and the cards she tutors. The deck also focuses on playing creatures that are great in almost any situation, but some are better in certain situations and that is where [c]Fauna Shaman[/c] tutors them. The deck is similar to last Standard Season's Fauna Naya, but geared for this Standard Season.[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Lands][c]Arid Mesa[/c]-It is a fetchland(obviously). What the card basically does for us is clean up our manabase a bit as well as giving us a [c]Sun Titan[/c] target.

[c]Stirring Wildwood[/c]-Mana fixer, beater and a land in one. Not only that, but if the lands is killed by a [c]Tectonic Edge[/c], [c]Sun Titan[/c] is able to recurr it.

[c]Raging Ravine[/c]-Our "power-up" land. It is another manland like Stirring Wildwood that just gets bigger and bigger.

[c]Copperline Gorge[/c]-Great card and is awesome for a first turn [c]Birds of Paradise[/c]. It opens a lot more strategies since it enters the battlefield untapped for the first 3 land drops.

[c]Razorverge Thicket[/c]-Same as above.

[c]Sunpetal Grove[/c]-Not the best dual, but it is still a dual land. I don't recommend it, but I'm sure plenty of people have success with their 5th/6th land coming into play untapped. I prefer doing stuff the first 3 turns, but it depends how your playstyle is.

[c]Rootbound Crag[/c]-Same reasoning as above.

[c]Tectonic Edge[/c]-Excellent Valakut/manland hate.

Mountain/Forest/Plains-Numbers vary on how many lands are in your build and what duals you're using.[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Creatures][c]Fauna Shaman[/c]-Probably the MOST important creature in the deck. She tutors all our guys when we need them. One game, I needed my single Acidic Slime to win, I tutored it up and won.

[c]Squadron Hawk[/c]-Awesome utility creature. Gives us 3 cards to discard to Fauna Shaman.

[c]Sun Titan[/c]-Great singleton target for Fauna Shaman. Sun Titan can bring back dead Fauna Shamans or even manlands, fetchlands, etc.

[c]Sylvan Ranger[/c]-Missing a land drop is a really bad thing in this deck. Early Sylvan Rangers are great for hitting land drops. Late Sylvan Rangers, well, I had to get that Acidic Slime from earlier somehow:)

[c]Acidic Slime[/c]-Another great singleton for Fauna Shaman. Being able to take out Valakut lands and even kill [c]Wurmcoil Engine[/c] is great.

[c]Inferno Titan[/c]-He can get pretty rediculous as a sweeper if Basilisk Collar is attached. I run him as a 2-of, but he is also a great singleton target.

[c]Baneslayer Angel[/c]-DEATH TO AGGRO! This card is another great Fauna target and she shines when going against decks like Vampires or WW Quest.

[c]Wurmcoil Engine[/c]-Singleton target that rocks against decks like U/X Control. Against UB, he kills [c]Grave Titan[/c]. Against UW, he survives [c]Day of Judment[/c] in a way.

[c]Kazuul, Tyrant of the Cliffs[/c]-This card seems awkward at first, but it beats out aggro and [c]Avenger of Zendikar[/c] tokens.

[c]Birds of Paradise[/c]-Awesome mana fixer. I run 4 because it enables a lot of action on turn 3.

[c]Vengevine[/c]-Some lists run it and others don't. It is always a great beater.

[c]Molten-Tail Masticore[/c]-With how many creatures are in this deck, this guy is a great card to play.

[c]Stoneforge Mystic[/c]-Another singleton to tutor up [c]Basilisk Collar[/c] for [c]Cunning Sparkmage[/c] and to tutor up [c]Sword of Body and Mind[/c]

[c]Cunning Sparkmage[/c]-Removal on a stick is great, especially with a [c]Basilisk Collar[/c] on it.

[c]Sylvok Replica[/c]-This card can have its moments at taking out [c]Journey to Nowhere[/c]
[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Spells][c]Explore[/c]-We need to get to 5/6 mana fast and this card helps with that 100%.

[c]Elspeth Tirel[/c]-Token producer that can block [c=Vampire Lacerator]Vampires[/c].

[c]Basilisk Collar[/c]-There are a lot of pingers in this deck and this card is amazing with them.

[c]Sword of Body and Mind[/c]-Just all around good. This Sword is great against control and is great against Valaku/MonoGreen Eldrazi.

[c]Lightning Bolt[/c]-Great way to get rid of cards like [c]Oracle of Muld Daya[/c].[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Sideboard][c]Tunnel Ignus[/c]-This deck has some problems with Valakut and this card helps a ton.

Acidic Slime-More Valakut hate.

[c]Luminarch Ascension[/c]-Control hate that just flat out wins games.

Obstinate BalothAggro hate that can also hate Valakut.

Gaea's Revenge-A bit more Control hate that can't be countered, is an 8/5, and has haste.

Journey to Nowhere-A card to take out Primeval Titan.

Leonin Arbiter-AVOID AT ALL COSTS. We shuffle too many times to make this card relevant.

Leyline of Sanctity-More Valakut hate.

My list:

Creatures 31:

4 Fauna Shaman
4 Squadron Hawk
2 Molten-Tail Masticore
4 Birds of Paradise
4 Llanowar Elves
1 Sun Titan
1 Inferno Titan
1 Baneslayer Angel
1 Wurmcoil Engine
1 Kazuul, Tyrant of the Cliffs
1 Acidic Slime
1 Linvala, Keeper of Silence
1 Stoneforge Mystic
2 Sylvan Ranger
3 Cunning Sparkmage

Spells 4:

1 Sword of Vengeance
1 Basilisk Collar
2 Journey to Nowhere

Lands 25:

1 Tectonic Edge
1 Stirring Wildwood
2 Raging Ravine
3 Razorverge Thicket
4 Copperline Gorge
4 Arid Mesa
3 Mountain
3 Plains
4 Forest

Sideboard:

3 Goblin Ruinblaster
3 Leyline of Sanctity
1 Ratchet Bomb
4 Tunnel Ignus
2 Obstinate Baloth
1 Acidic Slime
1 Journey to Nowhere

RancidBen's list:

4 [CARD]Fauna Shaman[/CARD]
4 [CARD]Birds of Paradise[/CARD]
3 [CARD]Sylvan Ranger[/CARD]
4 [CARD]Squadron Hawk[/CARD]
4 [CARD]Molten-Tail Masticore[/CARD]
3 [CARD]Cunning Sparkmage[/CARD]
1 [CARD]Stoneforge Mystic[/CARD]
1 [CARD]Sylvok Replica[/CARD]
2 [CARD]Wurmcoil Engine[/CARD]
1 [CARD]Kazuul, Tyrant of the Cliffs[/CARD]
1 [CARD]Inferno Titan[/CARD]
1 [CARD]Sun Titan[/CARD]
2 [CARD]Baneslayer Angel[/CARD]

31 CREATURES

3 [CARD]Elspeth Tirel[/CARD]
1 [CARD]Basilisk Collar[/CARD]

4 NON CREATURES

4 [CARD]Razorverge Thicket[/CARD]
2 [CARD]Sunpetal Grove[/CARD]
4 [CARD]Stirring Wildwood[/CARD]
4 [CARD]Plains[/CARD]
4 [CARD]Copperline Gorge[/CARD]
2 [CARD]Raging Ravine[/CARD]
2 [CARD]Mountain[/CARD]
2 [CARD]Forest[/CARD]
1 [CARD]Tectonic Edge[/CARD]

25 LANDS

SIDEBOARD

4 [CARD]Tunnel Ignus[/CARD]
2 [CARD]Acidic Slime[/CARD]
3 [CARD]Summoning Trap[/CARD]
1 [CARD]Sword of Body and Mind[/CARD]
2 [CARD]Gaea's Revenge[/CARD]
1 [CARD]Linvala, Keeper of Silence[/CARD]
2 [CARD]Obstinate Baloth[/CARD]

States Champ Louisana 1st place

3 Molten-Tail Masticore
4 Birds of Paradise
3 Cunning Sparkmage
4 Fauna Shaman
1 Inferno Titan
4 Llanowar Elves
4 Lotus Cobra
4 Squadron Hawk
1 Stoneforge Mystic
4 Vengevine

1 Basilisk Collar
1 Sword of Vengeance
2 Journey to Nowhere

6 Forest
2 Mountain
3 Plains
4 Arid Mesa
3 Copperline Gorge
1 Raging Ravine
3 Razorverge Thicket
1 Stirring Wildwood
1 Verdant Catacombs

Sideboard:

1 Basilisk Collar
3 Sylvok Replica
1 Emeria Angel
3 Goblin Ruinblaster
1 Stoneforge Mystic
1 Tunnel Ignus
2 Journey to Nowhere
2 Flame Slash

Ume_Nao (3-1)
Standard Daily #1910359 on 01/03/2011
4 Arid Mesa
4 Forest
1 Misty Rainforest
1 Mountain
3 Plains
4 Razorverge Thicket
3 Sunpetal Grove
4 Verdant Catacombs

1 Acidic Slime
4 Birds of Paradise
1 Cunning Sparkmage
4 Fauna Shaman
1 Kor Skyfisher
3 Llanowar Elves
4 Lotus Cobra
4 Squadron Hawk
2 Stoneforge Mystic
1 Sylvan Ranger
4 Vengevine
1 War Priest of Thune

1 Basilisk Collar
2 Eldrazi Monument
2 Sword of Body and Mind

1 Acidic Slime
3 Cunning Sparkmage
4 Journey to Nowhere
1 Leonin Arbiter
2 Linvala, Keeper of Silence
1 Stoneforge Mystic
1 Sword of Body and Mind
1 Sylvok Replica
1 War Priest of Thune

Matchups:

Coming soon

NOTE: Ignore all the [c][/c] and spoiler tags. I copied and pasted this from the wotc forums from the thread I made over there. In other words, I was too lazy to rewrite what I already wrote so I used c&p.
Tao

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you're dropping the god hands from Quest decks to gain Sparkmage tricks?
Farseer
Level 3 Judge

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Walk through the Zoo Reply with quote

Halo_Lover wrote:
NOTE: Ignore all the [c][/c] and spoiler tags. I copied and pasted this from the wotc forums from the thread I made over there. In other words, I was too lazy to rewrite what I already wrote so I used c&p.

Copy to word processor, use "find and replace".
DeVoursneyNR

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonproject wrote:
So you're dropping the god hands from Quest decks to gain Sparkmage tricks?

What does that have to do with this deck? This isn't a Quest deck at all. I've beaten Quest with this if that is what you are asking.

This is basically similar to Fauna Naya from last season.
Tao

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're playing a beatdown deck with nearly the same creature base as any Wg Quest Deck, only you lose the "I win" factor of the Quest combo so you can play fatties, accelerants and more lands.

There's no way your matchups are better by playing this.
P_P4E

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your deck becomes better by not playing masticore. That card is complete garbage right now.

sparkmage collar is actually not terrible right now. Anything cheap to kill grave titan seems fine to me since otherwise you scoop to the card.

Arbiter is actually something I think you have to play. You don't have many ways to disrupt valakut, but presenting a bunch of threats including that guy can slow them down a turn or 2, which is exactly enough to get the vengevine beats or inferno titan out that you need to win. I don't think you're quite fast enough to play Tunnel Ignus instead.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1