Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ub Mill.

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
Jbeanz

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:29 am    Post subject: Ub Mill. Reply with quote

// Lands
7 [ZEN] Island (1a)
4 [ZEN] Swamp (2a)
2 [ZEN] Verdant Catacombs
3 [ZEN] Misty Rainforest
2 [SOM] Darkslick Shores
4 [M11] Drowned Catacomb
2 [WWK] Halimar Depths

// Creatures
4 [ZEN] Hedron Crab

// Spells
4 [M11] Mana Leak
2 [ZEN] Spell Pierce
4 [ZEN] Into the Roil
4 [M11] Doom Blade
4 [ZEN] Archive Trap
4 [M11] Jace Beleren
3 [M11] Traumatize
4 [M11] Preordain
1 [ZEN] Sadistic Sacrament
2 [M11] Haunting Echoes

// Sideboard
SB: 2 [ALA] Cancel
SB: 2 [M11] Negate
SB: 3 [ROE] Consume the Meek
SB: 2 [SOM] Memoricide
SB: 2 [ZEN] Sadistic Sacrament
SB: 4 [M11] Duress

EDIT -

First I just want to say sorry for the short post.

I've updated the deck using a lot of your suggestions and it plays a lot better. This is the updated list.

// Deck file for Magic Workstation (http://www.magicworkstation.com)

// Lands
7 [ZEN] Island (1a)
4 [ZEN] Swamp (2)
4 [SOM] Darkslick Shores
2 [WWK] Halimar Depths
4 [M10] Drowned Catacomb
4 [WWK] Creeping Tar Pit

// Creatures
4 [ROE] Sea Gate Oracle

// Spells
2 [ZEN] Into the Roil
3 [M11] Doom Blade
4 [M11] Mana Leak
4 [ZEN] Archive Trap
2 [M11] Jace Beleren
4 [WWK] Jace, the Mind Sculptor
1 [M11] Leyline of the Void
4 [M11] Temple Bell
4 [M11] Jace's Erasure
1 [ROE] Consume the Meek
2 [SOM] Ratchet Bomb

// Sideboard
SB: 2 [M11] Leyline of the Void

Jace's Erasure does what Hadron Crab did but 10x better. Getting multiple in play ends games pretty quick.

Ratchet Bomb At first I had grindclock here but it was unnecessary. I still had some trouble with vampires so I switched to Ratchet Bomb. It makes the deck run a lot smoother.

Leyline of the Void -without it this deck would be pretty much unplayable because of the Eldrazi.

Last edited by Jbeanz on Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:09 am; edited 2 times in total
JSUOversoul

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You definitely need Archive Trap if you're wanting to build a mill deck. Also, I would find room for something to defend a Jace with that's more than just Doom Blade and counterspells. Into the Roil is a fine card in a deck like this.
Terri

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are already 4 into the roil and 4 archive traps in.
JSUOversoul

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, somehow I missed that. Too early in the morning, I guess. Either that or the original list got edited before you posted, I'm nearly positive that there were no Traps in the first list. Either way, looks better now.
ManaLeak

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Ub Mill seriously? Reply with quote

Mill is a hard win condition if the deck is based completely on it. But not impossible

Bad match ups
- Eldarazi green (re shuffled into library effects) even though a simple narcolepsy on a cheated Emrakul is pretty sweet even better is a turn zero *leyline of the void.

- Edit Emrakul has protection from colored spells :/

- Mono red ( burn to the dome is faster than mill to the bottom)

- Vampires (yes! lets get blood ghast into the grave faster!) oh wait I got * bojuka bog

Good match ups
- valakut
- UW control
- UB control
- *Elves - consume the meek, targeted removal
- *Kithkin - targeted removal, consume the meek

*= post sideboard

Jbeanz wrote:
// Deck file for Magic Workstation (http://www.magicworkstation.com)

// Lands
7 [ZEN] Island (1a)
4 [ZEN] Swamp (2a)
2 [ZEN] Verdant Catacombs
3 [ZEN] Misty Rainforest
2 [SOM] Darkslick Shores
4 [M11] Drowned Catacomb
2 [WWK] Halimar Depths

// Creatures
4 [ZEN] Hedron Crab

// Spells
4 [M11] Mana Leak
2 [ZEN] Spell Pierce
4 [ZEN] Into the Roil
4 [M11] Doom Blade
4 [ZEN] Archive Trap
4 [M11] Jace Beleren
3 [M11] Traumatize
4 [M11] Preordain
1 [ZEN] Sadistic Sacrament
2 [M11] Haunting Echoes

// Sideboard
SB: 2 [ZEN] Sadistic Sacrament

Pretty straight forward. Could use some improvements though. Any ideas?

Card selection
"If your not fast at least be effiecent at slowing down those that are"

Hedron crab being your squishy mill and you don't exploit this with any landfall boosting cards put it simply is not good enough defensively to stop anything there is better static mill like grind clock with contiagion clasps or steady progress you can mill 3 and not worry about it being doom bladed think, "synergy."

Haunted echoes is seriously no good since by the time you use it it helps you zero percent on the battlefield and is bad tempo for 5 mana when most decks come online. Sure its nice after traumatize but so is archive trap or keening stone. I perfer turn 6 keening stone over a turn five haunted echoes since keening is a gaurenteed win condition.

Sadistic Sacrament is awesome on paper but even more awesome when you can use 10 mana! let me know if you can combo 10 mana by turn 3 and you have yourself a deck. otherwise the triple black card is gonna be a card hardly played in a dual colored deck. turn 3 memorcide after a turn 1 duress is much more usefull.

Preordain are we going to the opera or the fortune teller? seriously who we trying to mill you or your opponent? preordain tells you nothing about your opponents deck on in game one which is really important since your win condition consists on knowing your opponents deck in entirety and eliminating all threats to your plan if you need draw..try steady progress after a grindstone. it's instant and can be done eot if you don't need to counter anything.

Last edited by ManaLeak on Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
springjack

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some recommendations:

Leyline of the void: Sadistic Sacrement can only do so much. This card is the reason you don't auto scoop to Eldrazi or Elixers. Exiles any card that would hit an opps graveyard from anywhere. It's a replacement effect, so no Eldrazi trigger.

Creeping Tar-pit: attacking planeswalkers that got through the counterspells.

Jace, the Mind Sculptor: Self-Explainatory and fits well in here.

Hedron Crab is bad. Why? Because you have no landfall abuse, and because you have 4 creatures total in deck and your opp will probably be holding a fistful of otherwise dead removal spells.

Haunting Echoes is bad as well. It doesn't do enough.

If you want your deck to have a chance, then you must focus more on the "control" aspect than the "mill" one. The only mill spells you need are Archive Traps, Jaces, and perhaps 1-2 Traumatize if you're feeling frisky. The rest of your deck needs to be removal and disruption, and eventually you will draw your opponent out.

Take a look at normal UB control decks in Standard right now and pick out the various removal that they use.
WildCard
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, take his mill deck, remove the mill... add more control to it? that kinda defeats the purpose of his deck.

There is an enchantment that mills your opponent when you draw, If you can find space for that it works good with Jace, The Brainstorm.
JSUOversoul

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The enchantment you speak of is Memory Erosion, and he wants the deck to stay Standard legal, that card's out, it was in Alara block.

If the deck keeps the Crabs, then it needs 8 fetchlands, not 5. Cut a few basics, should be easy to do that. You could also consider Temple Bell, if you get it in multiples then they are drawing quite a few cards each turn, getting them milled faster.
ManaLeak

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JSUOversoul wrote:
The enchantment you speak of is Memory Erosion, and he wants the deck to stay Standard legal, that card's out, it was in Alara block.

If the deck keeps the Crabs, then it needs 8 fetchlands, not 5. Cut a few basics, should be easy to do that. You could also consider Temple Bell, if you get it in multiples then they are drawing quite a few cards each turn, getting them milled faster.

What about Jaces Erasure? that is legal in standard
springjack

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WildCard wrote:
So, take his mill deck, remove the mill... add more control to it? that kinda defeats the purpose of his deck.

There is an enchantment that mills your opponent when you draw, If you can find space for that it works good with Jace, The Brainstorm.

That is exactly what a mill deck is: control. And I didn't say remove the mill entirely, just the small fry. You need to strike a balance between mill and keeping yourself alive.

I remember someone saying "don't be a slave to your theme." In my opinion, it explains why many decks fail the first time around.
Jbeanz

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've edited the first post to add more content and an updated deck list.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1