Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Create a card competition revamped

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic
GreenBear

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:15 pm    Post subject: Create a card competition revamped Reply with quote

Okay to get this going again as dv8r has been absent for sometime now, I'm going to start off a new thread, I made 1 major change to the rules also to get people to think a bit more.

Posted: 21 Dec 2010 17:58 Post subject: Create-A-Card 2 Competition
From last thread:

These forums are always too quiet. How about a competition? The rules are simple:

1. Judge posts the card criteria;

2. People make card(s) based on the criteria; AND DESCRIBE HOW THERE CARD MATCHES THE CRITERIA and generally sell there idea

3. Judge picks a winner; and

4. The winner becomes the judge for the next round.

---

R3: Design a card with the LIMITED ENVIRONMENT in mind that is SKILL INTENSIVE that helps fix the dominance of BLACK REMOVAL in the last imaginary set and STRENGTHENS GREENS overall limited appeal for the block and show cases A NEW COOL MECHANIC.

Please explain your Mechanic also.

Entries Close at 22:00 GMT 28/12/2010 Entries that make no attempt to explain how they match criteria, will not be judged.

Name | Mana Cost
Card Type -- Subtype (Rarity)
Ability Text
Flavour Text
P/T
Tao

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what the fuck is this shit. you didn't win.
GreenBear

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know but someone just suggested making a new thread as dv8r has been absent so long, so I did. Its not really about winning anyway its about having some fun.
Tao

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Create a card competition revamped Reply with quote

ManfredByron wrote:
4. The winner becomes the judge for the next round.

No, but it's still pretty douchey to just make your own thread a few hours after someone else took over judging duties.
Bob_A_Wilson

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sylvan Slingshot | 3
Artifact (Rare)
Tap, Sacrifice a Creature you control: Sylvan Slingshot deals damage equal to sacrificed creature's converted mana cost to target creature or player. Put a counter on Sylvan Slingshot. If sacrificed creature was green, put 2 counters on Sylvan Slingshot instead.
Emergency Conscripting: Sacrifice Sylvan Slingshot, put a 1/1 Villager token into play for each counter on Sylvan Slingshot.

Okay, so I dare say this is definitely an auto-include in limited. This goes great with green because green has all the fatties, and is great against black as you can just slingshot your creatures in resp to your oppo trying to destroy them.

Still don't know how Emergency Conscripting really fits in with the overall theme of this card, but hey, you get what you pay for, and since this thread isn't legit, then neither is this card.

Last edited by Bob_A_Wilson on Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:00 am; edited 2 times in total
KnowN

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stolen Feathers | GGU
Instant (Uncommon)
Destroy one or two target creatures with flying. Choose two target creatures, those creatures gain shroud and flying until end of turn.
Fallen Brother - If a creature targeted by this card is put into a graveyard exile it instead. Whenever there are 2 cards in any graveyard with the same name as the exiled card, you may put that card into play under your control. Play this ability only any time you could play a sorcery

Last edited by KnowN on Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:22 pm; edited 3 times in total
Alandariel

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elvish Oracle | 3GG
Creature - Elf Shaman (U)
Other creatures you control have Spellbound 2 (Whenever this creature becomes the target of a spell or ability an opponent controls, copy that spell or ability twice. You may choose new targets for the copies.)
1/3

I really want to play cards with this ability now! As for my explanation:

Quote:
Design a card with the LIMITED ENVIRONMENT in mind...

This card is a little too expensive to be playable in constructed. However a 3/3 at 5cc with an ability like this is pretty much an auto-include in draft or sealed. He has to be dealt with first, which means your opponent will have to waste a removal spell on him instead of one of your dinosaurs unless they want to 3-for-1 themselves.

Quote:
...that is SKILL INTENSIVE...

You're obviously not going to play this guy when you have no other creatures unless you absolutely have to. Also, you're not going to play him when your opponent has none. He's very situational but can turn the tables on your opponent if he resolves at the right time. They can remove your creatures with instant speed removal in response though, so playing him correctly will require some amount of finesse.

Quote:
...that helps fix the dominance of BLACK REMOVAL in the last imaginary set...

This guy is going to soak up some removal before he hits the yard. Period. They're going to be unhappy that they have to remove him, and if they don't have instant speed removal in hand when you play him they're going to be in a serious predicament. If they remove another creature first and then you play this guy and another threat, they're either going to have really crappy board position or your dinosaur is going to rape some face.

Quote:
...and STRENGTHENS GREENS overall limited appeal for the block...

He's uncommon. The ability would appear on other green cards, especially rares. Who wouldn't want to draft a removal-killer like this?

Quote:
...and show cases A NEW COOL MECHANIC.

I don't think I need to explain why this mechanic is cool and fun. It would probably cause some rage-quits.
Jacois

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1GG, Malleable Elf
Creature - Elf Rogue
Diversion G (G, Return a creature you control that is being targetted by a spell or ability to owners hand : Put this card into play from your hand.)
3/2

The mechanic is basically used to dodge removal, but it also potentially provides you with a decent body for a reduced cost. I allowed Diversion to be used regardless of which player is targetting the creature, just to make the ability more appealing.
P_P4E

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bestial Menace.
BlackPen

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recycled life 2g

instant - common

Search your library for a basic land card and put it onto the battlefield tapped.

Offering(when this spell is cast you may sacrifice a creature to copy this spell)

Explanation: In limited one of the main appeals to playing green is that it helps fix mana, and any mana fixer that ramps seems pretty appealing to me.

It hates on black removal by letting you sacrifice the target to two for one.

It is skill intensive since you need to build around sacrificing and because you need to decide when land is more important than the creature in play.

Offering is a cool mechanic since the cards still do things when you don't sacrifice, and copying spells is always fun.
regniwekim

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disciple of Gaea | 1GG
Creature - Elf Shaman(R)
Whenever a creature you control becomes the target of a spell or ability an opponent controls, you may untap up to X target permanents, where X is that creatures power.
Whenever a creature you control is put into a graveyard from play, put a Blessing Counter on Disciple of Gaea.
Remove 3 Blessing Counters from Disciple of Gaea: Put a creature card from your graveyard onto the battlefield under your control.
1/2
Lynolf

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

People really need to learn how the color pie works... Mr. Green

Also ManfredByron, it is fine for you to come and keep this idea running again, but you have no permission or authority to ADD a new rulle to this game. If people don't want to explain their idea, they shouldn't be forced to, and that surely shouldn't private their card from being analysed and voted.
GreenBear

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I'm just trying to get people to think more. I'm trying to give everyone more of a chance by outlining what a successful candidate will be doing and encouraging everyone to follow the same lines.

As it turns out for those who did not know an original winner has been choosen by another judge, I was not aware of what was going on.

I will still look at and rate everyone's cards and name a winner but it will be purely for fun and the winner of Dv8rs thread can then make his own thread to carry the game on.
Sebas_

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Living Needle
Casting Cost: 1
Creature-Artifact

Haste

At the end of turn sacrifice Living Needle

1/1
GreenBear

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HailEris (Sylvan Slingshot) is def a good limited card. Drawbacks are its rarity for the most part, makes its overall impact on the environment not that great. I can see why it was made rare yet skullcatapult was still uncommon so I think it would have got higher marks had you made it uncommon. All other criteria are met though the card does not really exhibit its mechanic to its full potential. Still a good attempt 7/10.

KnowN (Stolen Feathers) This strikes me as more of a sideboard card than main deck material which is a draw back. It can be very devastating at its best but that is quite a bit to situational for my liking. The mechanic is quite powerful and this card would certainly be capable of busted stuff, with the mechanic this feels more like a constr sb card 6/10.

Alandariel (Elvish Oracle) First off full marks for structure of answer. Makes things much easier for me.

I agree the card is def more a limited card and it has enough skill involved in the card for me to be happy with that criteria also. On removal here as he does not give himself spellbound or have spellbound himself I think he struggles to make this mark. The mechanic is very powerful and quite innovative. Although what was prob an error in wording of the card let you down on one point the overall structure was superb so assuming that is exactly what happened this squeezes a 8/10.

Jacois (Malleable Elf) I really like the mechanic but you lose marks for not stating the rarity, I think this at common which you could have made it would have given that black removal fits and strengthened green, in one swing of the dice as well as filling all the other requirements the card is exactly what i was looking for. You would have got a 9 had you stated the rarity as common but as it stands an 8/10.

Black Pen (recycled life) The mechanic has potential and you fill most of the criteria but overall it feels a little underpowered when compared to cultivate or harrow and im not certain how much the 2 for 1 on lands is going to hurt them, I would have liked the card more if you had made the overall spell a bit more powerful, as it is its not hurting black enough or overly strengthening green. 7/10.

regniwekim (Disciple of Gaea) I love the way that this card forces the black opponent to have to think more about when he plays his removal spells, auto pilot people be prepared to be punished.

I think you could have given it a slightly more solid overall body and 2 blessing counters as opposed 3, to strengthen green that bit more. Lack of a mechanic dramatically lowers your mark though. 5/10.

Sebas LOL not graded:D.

So for winners Best Card goes to Jacois, most complete answer to the question posed to alandariel. Well Done:D
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2