Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

UB control/proliferate.

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
aqualad33
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:49 pm    Post subject: UB control/proliferate. Reply with quote

// Deck file for Magic Workstation (http://www.magicworkstation.com)

// Lands
7 [SOM] Swamp (4)
3 [WWK] Creeping Tar Pit
2 [SOM] Darkslick Shores
3 [M11] Drowned Catacomb
4 [WWK] Tectonic Edge
6 [ROE] Island (2)

// Creatures
2 [ROE] Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre
3 [SOM] Trinket Mage

// Spells
1 [ROE] Consume the Meek
3 [SOM] Stoic Rebuttal
3 [M11] Duress
1 [M11] Liliana Vess
4 [WWK] Jace, the Mind Sculptor
2 [SOM] Contagion Clasp
1 [SOM] Contagion Engine
2 [ROE] Inquisition of Kozilek
1 [SOM] Lux Cannon
1 [SOM] Memoricide
1 [SOM] Mox Opal
2 [M11] Mana Leak
1 [SOM] Chimeric Mass
1 [M11] Elixir of Immortality
4 [WWK] Everflowing Chalice
2 [M11] Voltaic Key

// Sideboard
SB: 1 [ROE] Consume the Meek
SB: 1 [M11] Duress
SB: 2 [ZEN] Disfigure
SB: 2 [M11] Jace Beleren
SB: 1 [SOM] Contagion Clasp
SB: 1 [SOM] Contagion Engine
SB: 1 [ROE] Inquisition of Kozilek
SB: 2 [SOM] Wurmcoil Engine
SB: 2 [SOM] Lux Cannon
SB: 2 [SOM] Memoricide

I believe the best way to describe the deck is to go card by card.

ulamog: fantastic finisher, in the late game you generate tons of mana, usually by the time you draw it, you have just the right amount of mana to cast it, he's indestructable and he removes a threat when he enters play, and as long as he can make it into the red zone your opponent will not last long.

trinket mage: find's so many good toys, and here they are
1. everflowing chalice/mox opal: a common search, it can be nice to help you ramp up to 6 mana on the 4th turn and becomes very useful when you are starting to proliferate, mox opal is also nice becasue it doesn't require any mana investment and provides any color mana
2. chimeric mass: most common target, he's very very powerful, he dodges sorcery speed removal, he get's huge with proliferate(kinda arbitrarily most of the time) he's a good blocker and he is a win con that can be tutored for.
3. elixer of imortality: most least impressive card out of the bunch, but there are times where the lifegain is relavent, lets you recycle your cards, gives you more jaces then your oppoenent, one copy is nice to have around.
4. voltaic key: VERY good card in this deck, most of the time it is used to create more mana from your chalices, second most often use is to facilitate more proliferations and lastly it allows you to attack and block with chimeric mass at the same time, and make lux cannon faster.

discard suit
3duress/2inquisitions: I love 1 mana discard spells very much, considering how badly control is dominating this format, duress is pretty valuable now, and it also helps slow down the ramp decks. Inquisition isn't as valuable against the control mu, but it really shines against aggro decks, hence the two copies

memoricide: personaly I really like this card, given this format it's usually pretty easy to know what to call to cripple a deck, grave titan on ub deck (you have a lot more stuff to deal with jace), primeval titan for ramp argentum armor for quest (just to slow them down a bit) It's always nice to have around.

liliana: she is pretty damn useful, she start off with a pretty high loyalty so she can take a couple hits, her discard can add up against a control player, and she can search up ALL of our answers.

counter suit:
3 stoic rebultal/2 mana leak: mana leak is usefull for the early game, but losses a lot of value in the late game when stoic rebutal will cost the same and be much better, and in this deck 5 counterspells seem like the right number

others:
1 consume the meek: blowout for quest variants, its basically a total blowout and with the accell in the deck, it can come out earlier then usual
1 lux cannon: destroys anything problematic, and has the perk of working well with voltaic key and proliferate, it can get out of hand pretty easy and can be a game winner, not bad for 4 colorless.
2 contagion clasp/1 contagion engine: these cards give the deck it's edge, it plays well with A LOT of the cards in this deck, it also acts as sorcery speed removal for decks that play a lot of creatures, the clasps are especially good for elves and killing treespeakers in ramp.

jace: probably the best card in the format, only made better by proliferate. One of my most triumphant moments was when i was testing a mono u version, I played it, brought it up to 5 to peek at my opponents top card, proliferated a lot on his end step, then some on my turn and jace ultimated and won. but yeah, very good planes walker, and deals with opposing jaces if nessisary.

board is still a work in progress, the basic idea is that the main deck is pretty well rounded and then game 2 you take out all the less effective cards and board in more of the better cards for your particular mu.

so after all that, advice is welcome, let me know what you think, and if you think this has no chance at competing point out why you don't think this deck will work.
Mizukage

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've tried running that list since som came out. i mean, its pretty easy to get the chalice-voltaic key shenanigans rolling but most of the time youre either dead by that time or desperately searching for ways to use the mana. you have almost no way of stopping kuldotha red and vamps aside from the singleton consume which btw is a one time deal. ramp decks will just fly by you. ultimately, i cant think of any good matchup for this type of deck.

I suggest you run spell pierces and jace 1.0 so you could preempt UB and UW. and use wurmcoil engine so you have a chance of stabilizing against aggro. even after that, I still couldnt see you competing consistently with tier1 decks. just my opinion though.
aqualad33
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jace and wurmcoil are in board, that board also contains 2 extra consume the meek and an 3 extra contamination artifacts, vamps is actually one of the easier mu's for me. Haven't lost to it yet.

as for spell pierce, I use duress instead. I personally find duress to be superious in all ways. Same CC, you get to see your opponents hand, doesn't matter what stage of the game you are in, it's never a dead card. Simply put it's awesome.

I may consider putting in a couple brittle effigies to help beat ramp decks though and perhaps some spreading seas, except that tectonic edges seem to come up a lot anyways. we will see.
Jacois

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Defineately take that Memoricide out of the maindeck, that's just terrible.

Duress is overrated.
dv8r

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

firstly a deck like this can win:
http://www.magic-league.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=14608

some comments on deck:
memoricide md is terrible, you can draw it vs you aggro matchups (your worse matchups) and it will be a terrible and dead card

clasp is a terrible answer to treespeaker, on the play they won't have treespeakers in vs you, on the draw, it's just terrible vs them. in that master I lost both of my games to eldrazi green in t8 because he had turn 1 treespeaker to my clasp

one lux cannon is not enough, this card is very very good vs control decks which basically cannot answer the card or race it (and ramp decks on the play), play the second md, and 2 more sb

this deck will not beat aggro in its current form, consider playing white over black....
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1