Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What's Wrong With Submitting?

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic
TKOJ

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:44 pm    Post subject: What's Wrong With Submitting? Reply with quote

I ask you all this question, what is wrong with submitting to an apparent loss? i.e. You know that you can't win a certain situation so you say "gg."

I'm asking because there is a "no quitter" attitude I see sometimes when playing Magic. Here is a hypothetical situation:

I have 7 forests tapped, 5000 Nest Invaders, 5000 Eldrazi Spawn, and 5000 Goblin Guides (don't ask how). My opponent has 20 lands, Spawnsire of Ulamog, Emrakul, and 10,000 Hand of Emrakuls. My opponent passes turn and I draw another Nest Invader. I use reason to conclude that it is impossible for me to win this situation because he can block all 10,000 of my attackers. I concede the match and say "gg bro."

But wait, my opponent calls me a quitter! I respond by asking, "What's wrong with quitting?" He say's, "You have no honor. You are a quitter and have no pride. I hate quitters. K thx bai." Player Lost.

Wouldn't a logical person reason that he cannot win and would rather live to fight another day?

So is there anything wrong with conceding a match? Post your thoughts. K thx bai.

EDIT: Crap I posted this in wrong section. I thought this was general discussion.
gypsy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stop playing on mwsplay with all the retards like this guy
blamin8or

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ask yourself this question: When you are the one beating someone, and your victory is almost assured from your perspective, they have x cards in hand, they may draw this, they may draw that - you can win in 1 turn if you play this way, one turn you play that way - it's all relative - there are always these factors to consider when testing for tournament play depending on how thoroughly you feel you need to test.

In a tournament, people always play it out to the end, because your opponent could always get careless which happens more often than anyone would like to believe, how many people throw away games when they're in the pocket. In a testing game on mws you will often do things you wouldn't normally, do: let your opponent take back mistakes, tap different lands etc. Sometimes people don't allow for this on mws, but certainly not in even mws tournaments. So whether you are preparing for tournaments on mws or IRL, you certainly care about what mistakes you or your opponent is likely to make in a tournament situation.

For the player losing who sees no outs and probably wouldn't see any in real life either, quitting is always better for them as it provides more time for productive testing of their deck, while their opponent is possibly deprived of seeing unique card interactions and game states that occur once every 100 or more games. Therefore a very thorough tester will undoubtedly be upset that this deprivation has occurred.

Also we can not discount the feeling of satisfaction that ppl get out of stomping ppls faces.
Weedmonkey

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problems on the wrong topic - I've moved it to where I think you wanted it to go Smile

Okay, blamin8or has some good points in explaining why quitting isn't the wisest thing - there is always a margin of error and outside of games being locked (be it semi-hard or hard), it generally is better to wait it out and see if your opponent makes a mistake.

Now, as for what your opponent said, I believe it was completely unreasonable. There's a line between disagreeing with a point of view and acting like a twelve year old over a game. He should have at bare minimum respected your wishes.
TKOJ

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for the lesson; I felt like I was learning a lot and loved all of it. It made a positive change in me. Oh and I love the name tags you guys have. Very Happy
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1