Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ptq's sealed pool-Infect or Metalcraft?

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Limited
Kurtgrunge

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:43 pm    Post subject: Ptq's sealed pool-Infect or Metalcraft? Reply with quote

(I will firstly apologize for the bad english,i tryed my best to be clear)
In this topic i will post the sealed pool and the final deck i've played in a ptq today,and with your help i'm trying to find what i've done wrong and if my 4-4 score was due to missbuilding(Not saying i did play 100% optimal but i haven't done any BIG mistake that costed me any match).

So i will share my pool divided into colors playable/unplayable to see if i have a wrong perception of some cards.

Legend of my pool

Playable cards : Good cards-Average cards-Fillers i'm still not sad to play MD

Unplayable cards : Very bad cards,only siding 'em MD in seldon situations or against a particular archetipe

Associated artifacts : Artifacts that require a colored mana cost in order to use some of their abilities

So here we go :

BLUE UNPLAYABLE :

Turn Aside
Screeching Silcaw
Twisted Image
Steady Progress
Plated Seastrider 2x

Blue Playable :

Neurok Invisimancer
Stoic Rebuttal 2x
Grand Architect
Trinket mage
Halt Order

ASSOCIATED BLUE ARTIFACTS :

Trigon of Thought
Silver Myr
Neurok Replica 2x

-----------------------------------------------------------

GREEN UNPLAYABLE :

Blunt the Assault

GREEN PLAYABLE :
Withstand Death 2x
Untamed Might
Tel-Jilad Fallen
Putrefax
Alpha Tyrrannax

GREEN ASSOCIATED ARTIFACTS :

Horizon Spellbomb 3x
Sylvok Replica
Wall Of Tanglecore

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

BLACK UNPLAYABLE :

Relic Putrescence
Blistergrub

BLACK PLAYABLE :

Painsmith
Dross Hopper 2x
Necrogen Scudder
Moriok Reaver
Contagious Nim
Hand of the Praetors
Bleak Coven Vampires

BLACK ASSOCIATED ARTIFACTS :

Nihil Spellbomb
Vector Asp 2x

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

RED UNPLAYABLE :

Assault Strobe

RED PLAYABLE :

Kuldotha Rebirth
Goblin Gaveleer
Shatter
Furnace Celebrations
Turn to slag

RED ASSOCIATED ARTIFACTS :
Panic Spellbomb
Iron Myr
Saberclaw golem 2x

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WHITE UNPLAYABLE :

Leonin Arbiter

WHITE PLAYABLE :

Salvage Scout
Abuna Acolyte
Auriok Edgewright
Arrest
Kemba's Skyguard 2X

WHITE ASSOCIATED ARTIFACTS :

Origin Spellbomb 3x
Trigon of mending

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
ARTIFACTS UNPLAYABLE :

Golem's Heart

ARTIFACTS PLAYABLE :

Sylvok Lifestaff
Horizon spellbomb 3x
Nihil spellbomb
Panic Spellbomb
Origin Spellbomb 3x
Vector Asp 2x
Silver Myr
Iron Myr
Perilous Myr
Ichorclaw Myr 2x
Wall of Tanglecore
Trigon of mending
Contagious Clasp
Liquimetal Coating
Myr galvanizer
Tumble Magnet
Necrogen Censer
Rust Tick
Neurok Replica 2x
Sylvok Replica
Etched Champion
Myr Reservoir
Rusted Relic
Corpse Cur 2x
Trigon Of Thought-
Darksteel Juggernaut
Golem Artisan
Saberclaw Golem 2x

.................................................................................

After a "long" debating (i know i'm not good in limited as in constructed so it took quite much to me to build a deck) i eventually came with this infect build :

Creatures 18 :

Vector Asp 2x
Ichorclaw Myr 2x
Painsmith
Iron Myr
Silver Myr
Perilous Myr
Contagious Nim
Sylvok Replica
Rust Tick
Myr Galvanizer
Corpse Cur 2x
Tel-Jilad Fallen
Hand of the Praetors
Putrefax
Golem Artisan

Artifacts 4 :

Sylvok Lifestaff
Contagion Clasp
Tumble Magnet
Reservoir Myr

Other spells 1 :

Untamed Might

Cards left out i was still wondering about :

Withstand death 2x -Panic Spellbomb - Nihil spellbomb -Horizon Spellbomb 3x- Wall of tanglecord

So as you can see i didn't have any plague stinger or cystbearer,which would have really boosted up the speed and the power of the deck.I ended up playing the 2 offcolor myrs plus myr reservoir plus galvanizer to get some synergy with ichorclaws myr and some recursion from the graveyard : i haven't totally regretted it since it actually won me many matches but still i was feeling it was somewhat unfocusing when i drew all my non infect creatures plus reservoir.I didn't have any good removal for non artifact creatures and i was hardly punished in 3 different games by Carnifex Demon and Hoard-Smelter Dragon.Maybe i should have tryed to side greenspellbombs and a couple of plains plus arrest.
Anyway i had the feeling all the day that i missbuild the deck,so when i came back home i tryed to build a totally different deck(having no time pressure on me really helps a lot,if i get nervous i know it takes so long to me to decide things),and i came out with this R/W metalcraft deck :

Creatures 14 :
Aggro W/R Metalcraft

Auriok Edgewright
Perilous Myr
Iron Myr
Silver Myr
Etched Champion
Myr Galvanizer
Rust Tick
Kemba's Skyguard 2x
"Rusted Relic" (We're quite sure of having metalcraft with 18 artifacts)
Golem Artisan
Darksteel Juggernaut
Saberclaw Golem 2x

Artifacts 7 :

Sylvok Lifestaff
Origin Spellbomb 3x
Panic Spellbomb
Contagious Clasp (Not that great here but still catch some really annoying X/1 of the format)
Tumble Magnet

Other Spells 3 :

Shatter
Arrest
Turn to slag

Lands 16:

Plains 9
Mountain 7

Cards Left out i was still wondering about :

Abuna Acolyte--Kuldota rebirth+furnace celebration+Salvage scout -- (good sinergy with 4 spellbombs to get furnace online) Liquimetal coating,Necrogen Censer,Myr reservoir.

So it's a pretty standard WR metalcraft deck,featuring all the removal that i had,a lot of myrs+galvanizer and some "Big guys" like Saberclaw Golem 2x and Darksteel Juggernaut and Golem Artisan.

Feel free to give me any suggestion,any constructive criticism will be more than accepted,i really need to improve my deckbuilding skill since i'm attempting at least 2 more ptqs and i need to get better ^^
Delicious

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Infect without a doubt

I just drafted friday and got 3 plague stingers and splashed res for removal and assualt strobe and wrecked house
P_P4E

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Delicious wrote:
Infect without a doubt

I just drafted friday and got 3 plague stingers and splashed res for removal and assualt strobe and wrecked house

This is irrelevant, so let me try and say something that is relevant...

I think metalcraft is by far better. You're going to actually do well with a deck that looks that consistent. 3-5 good removal, 18 artifacts, Juggernaut and relic as finishers (albeit on the lower end of "finishers"). This is the deck I want at a big event.

Play the metalcraft, be on the play since you're not really needing the extra card most of the time but you are going to want to hit your 5/5's before they hit their turn to slags to get hits in and whatnot, etc.

You made a mistake in deckbuilding though, in my opinion. You left furnace celebration on the sidelines with 4 spellbombs and you didnt splash for the sylvok replica and 3 horizon spellbombs. This would make your deck SO efficient. You can run a good split of mana since you hardly have any color commitments, and its not going to prevent you from winning the game as your finishers are all artifacts.
mishimakaz

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you help me too in sealed ptqs, P_P4E?
Kurtgrunge

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@P_P4E, i played some games with my friends with their ptq's deck too,i ended up doubling my wins with metalcraft/furnace deck then with infect - Have to agree with the splash of green bombs+sylvok replica since i have that many artifact that even if i don't get the right mana colors i can still play all my finishers.Nice build btw,wish i could have thought about it in the ptq rather then after but i will remind this in the future events i will be playin in =)
Delicious

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

P_P4E wrote:
Delicious wrote:
Infect without a doubt

This is irrelevant, so let me try and say something that is relevant...

I think metalcraft is by far better. You're going to actually do well with a deck that looks that consistent. 3-5 good removal, 18 artifacts, Juggernaut and relic as finishers (albeit on the lower end of "finishers"). This is the deck I want at a big event.

Play the metalcraft, be on the play since you're not really needing the extra card most of the time but you are going to want to hit your 5/5's before they hit their turn to slags to get hits in and whatnot, etc.

Im glad that you are the last word in relevance here on ml

You made a mistake in deckbuilding though, in my opinion. You left furnace celebration on the sidelines with 4 spellbombs and you didnt splash for the sylvok replica and 3 horizon spellbombs. This would make your deck SO efficient. You can run a good split of mana since you hardly have any color commitments, and its not going to prevent you from winning the game as your finishers are all artifacts.
dongs

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How is "I drafted a good Br Poison deck last week" relevant to "How do I build this Sealed pool"?
P_P4E

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HydroxDZ wrote:
How is "I drafted a good Br Poison deck last week" relevant to "How do I build this Sealed pool"?

exactly.
Delicious

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont know maybe this is a long shot but,

Building poison is explosive in a limited format and i did well with it. I agree with your choice

Uhh derp
Bob_A_Wilson

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for metalcraft being the best archetype choice in SoM sealed, I'd have to it's the second best. UW is still usually the best choice, depending on what cards you get of course.

As for infect in sealed, I'm sorry to say that that is only worthwhile if you get the nuts pool. If you're low on infect guys, you're gonna either need to compensate with walls or fatties to control to board. With so few infectors in SoM, especially ones that are really useful, it's just better to go with something else. Infect in booster draft is an entirely different story.

Here's what I made with your card pool:

// Lands
8 [SOM] Plains (4)
8 [SOM] Island (1)

// Creatures
2 [SOM] Kemba's Skyguard
2 [SOM] Ichorclaw Myr
1 [SOM] Darksteel Juggernaut
1 [SOM] Screeching Silcaw
1 [SOM] Salvage Scout
1 [SOM] Auriok Edgewright
1 [SOM] Etched Champion
2 [SOM] Neurok Replica
1 [SOM] Iron Myr
1 [SOM] Silver Myr
1 [SOM] Myr Galvanizer
1 [SOM] Golem Artisan

// Spells
1 [SOM] Necrogen Censer
2 [SOM] Stoic Rebuttal
1 [SOM] Arrest
1 [SOM] Rusted Relic
1 [SOM] Tumble Magnet
3 [SOM] Origin Spellbomb

As you can see, I went with WU metalcraft, taking advantage of the best bombs you had: Darksteel Juggernaut and Etched Champion, backed up by control like your Stoic Rebuttals, Arrest, Screeching Silclaw (mill is sometimes the best removal, it's all random, but a flyer like this that comes out early is gonna hit often), Tumble Magnet, Ichorclaw Myr, and Neurok Replica. Here are your percentages for drawing stuff:

Chance to draw mana: 16/40 = 40% opening hand = 2.8
Chance to draw artifact: 18/40 = 45% opening hand = 3.15
Chance to draw Creature: 19/40 = 47.5% opening hand = 3.325
Chance to draw Removal: 8/40 = 20% opening hand = 1.4

The amount in opening hand is how many of that kind of card you are likely to have in your first 7 cards. Chance to draw percentages are only valid in a 40 card deck, and go up or down from there depending on what gets drawn. You probably already know this, but just in case, there it is anyway.
P_P4E

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I completely disagree with the above post 100%.

shatter + turn to slag > neurok replica + stoic rebuttle
Delicious

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turn to slag is great in sealed. Most people go after cheap equips so it's nice to burn them right out of the game
wizmo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seems to me the RWg option is the best here. while i agree that getting an infect-able sealed pool is great cuz its totally OP, this is not one of those pools. it is absolutely necessary to have a critical mass of infect guys. simply having 2 of the rares does not make for a good infect deck

@hailEris

really dude? blue is so terrible in this set. grand architect is good and so is the replica, but thats the end of his blue cards. removal is king in limited.

also what is the fascination with kemba sky guard. i think this cards eats the cock, if it was 2W it would be different. but really how could you be happy if it makes your deck as 1 of your 6-10 colored cards
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Limited All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1