Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

UW Argentum + Architect

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
JustKenny

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:18 am    Post subject: UW Argentum + Architect Reply with quote

// Lands
4 [M10] Glacial Fortress
6 [ZEN] Island (3)
4 [ZEN] Plains (1)
4 [SOM] Seachrome Coast
4 [WWK] Celestial Colonnade

// Creatures
4 [SOM] Wurmcoil Engine
4 [SOM] Trinket Mage
4 [M11] Frost Titan
4 [SOM] Grand Architect
4 [WWK] Sejiri Merfolk
4 [ZEN] Kor Outfitter
2 [WWK] Stoneforge Mystic

// Spells
3 [WWK] Jace, the Mind Sculptor
4 [WWK] Wind Zendikon
3 [WWK] Everflowing Chalice
2 [SOM] Argentum Armor

Thought it was a neat idea. It is surprisingly fast. tested it for about half an hour on msplay but there wasn't much to test against even still i was impressed by the deck. no sideboard yet. Posting to see if anyone has had any luck with this type of deck in the format.

Passable as content...sort of, but you really don't have anything else to say about a deck that you came up with? Card choices, philosophy behind making it etc etc?

-ES
gypsy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

why would u play trinket mage in this deck
JustKenny

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

with Architect in play use trinket mage to get chalice tap both to play it with 2 counters on it or three if you played a merfolk on turn 2. Next turn drop your fatties.
Klesk

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mystic + armor seems like overkill imho

is there a reason not to run mana leak ?

maybe try lodestone golem, at least in sb, might be good against control decks
Jeconiah

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really want Grand Architect to be good. I've tried and tried to make a deck that fully takes advantage of his ramping, but also his pump which is not bad either. I keep telling myself that "maybe it will take the release of mirrodin besieged or maybe even the next set to make him good, but he'll be good one day."

Anyways I was just posting to say that i have been testing and changing a deck based on GA since SOM came out and this is the most successful one yet, I thought maybe my ideas would help out.

// Lands
12 [ZEN] Island (4)
3 [WWK] Tectonic Edge
4 [SOM] Darkslick Shores
4 [M11] Drowned Catacomb

// Creatures
3 [ROE] Coralhelm Commander
4 [ZEN] Cosi's Trickster
4 [ROE] Enclave Cryptologist
4 [SOM] Grand Architect
3 [SOM] Steel Hellkite
3 [SOM] Wurmcoil Engine
3 [M11] Augury Owl

// Spells
3 [WWK] Jace, the Mind Sculptor
3 [SOM] Sword of Body and Mind
4 [M11] Doom Blade
3 [M11] Mana Leak

// Sideboard
SB: 1 [SOM] Wurmcoil Engine
SB: 1 [M11] Mana Leak
SB: 4 [SOM] Memoricide
SB: 4 [M11] Duress
SB: 3 [ZEN] Disfigure
SB: 2 [ROE] Renegade Doppelganger

It was mono blue to begin with, but i will warn you, this list is extremely metagamed and i felt it was necessary to put more removal in. I also did have argentum armor in at one point, but i found myself wasting 2 turns trying to equip it when rather i could be playing a wurmcoil or a hellkite and then attacking with my smurf army for a substantial amount of damage. I just tried to make it overall fast aggro/combo.

I'll tell you the reasoning for all the questionable cards here. basically GA takes advantage of blue creatures so i put it a lot of blue creatures.. simple, right? Well not so much because a lot of the smaller blue creatures suck.

This deck does rely on a few key cards so you need some diggers to get there. That would be what enclave cryptologist, Augury owl, and obviously Jace are for... among other things. Originally Preordain had a spot, but i felt that removal and SB options merited a splash of B so it lost its spot.

Plan A is to just race. Play a smurf turn 1, and one or two more smurfs turn 2( maybe one that allows you to look and put your GA on top), and then play GA on turn 3 and crank out a wurmcoil or hellkite. Which btw Hellkites abilities don't joke around with the ramping off of the smurfs. I've used the ratchet bomb effect to kill titans multiple times, or just armies of elves. and the pump can fly over for the kill when its otherwise out of range

Plan B as i said is Smurf Aggro and Coralhelm is an allstar here (As im sure you know if you've played ext at all) Cosi is obviously one of those cards that people look at with a question mark, but like i said... its metagamed and i bet you 90% of decks in standard search for something, whether its a land (i.e. plated geoped and Cobra) or a chalice, effigy, or elixer (trinket mage) or an armor (quest) or a but load of mountains to kill you (valakut) All that to say that Cosi can aggro as well.

Honorable mentions:
Sword of B&M: with the mass amount of blue and green in the meta there is no need for justification
Jace: when your opponent has slowed down either of the plans above, you either dig to get the back on track or just kill them with Jace, again another card that does not need my justification
Mana leak: see above about justification of obviously good cards, hah j/k but really its to save your guys (esp GA) from a doom blade or also if you've got a bad hand maybe just mana leak that primeval to buy some time. Not a bad play either Razz

SB is sketchy. most of the choices are obvious there. I've thought about Jace beleren for control, and plenty of other cards. Doppleganger used to be in the MB and i liked him so much i just scooted him down. I will admit the SB could use major work

After seeing your list, i think i'll go back to the splash of W instead of B for journeys instead of Doom Blade with the rise of vamps and black creatures, and W does offer some very good SB cards as well.

Anyways I hope that all this mess above was slightly helpful, I'll be on the lookout for a GA deck to be successful.

Justin
P_P4E

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't play any non blue creatures. You don't have quest, so having outfitter and stoneforge is just an inferior combo that makes mana more awkward. You can cut them for memnites and Persecutor golem or lodestone golem or something like that.

Wind Zendikon is way too dangerous to play. If you need a 1 drop I'd go with Cosi' Trickster. Every deck in standard has sacklands at this point, and it doesn't require you to get timewalked against bolt.

I always thought if you're going to pay that much mana for a spell, let it be mindslaver.
Jeconiah

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Engrish: Ironically enough i don't even play that deck anymore. I did testing for a while and I have a great group of solid players at my store that helped me with that and i just came to the conclusion that its not good enough in today's standard. As I said, maybe with the release of the next sets there will be some cards that will make it viable. Until then, it'll just sit with all my other 'almost really good' deck lists.
GreenBear

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

8, 6 drops 22lands no.
Pushover

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He only needs to get to 3 to get out a 6 drop. Please look at the deck. An elf ramp probably can run on 22 lands, and it plays many cards much higher than a 6 drop.
Trizzy60

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
He only needs to get to 3 to get out a 6 drop. Please look at the deck. An elf ramp probably can run on 22 lands, and it plays many cards much higher than a 6 drop.

The elf deck runs more then 1 cards that accelerates.
magicman85

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd throw in some Steel Hellkites in the sideboard for Elves.
GDP

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uhhh ... Masticore seems like a given in any deck with Grand Architect.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1