Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Prototype portal + chimeric mass

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Magic Rulings
magicman85

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:37 pm    Post subject: Prototype portal + chimeric mass Reply with quote

If you imprint a chimeric mass on a prototype portal can you still play the chimeric mass for x (any #)?
Zeph

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Card Name:
Prototype Portal
Mana Cost:
Converted Mana Cost:

Types:
Artifact
Card Text:
Imprint When Prototype Portal enters the battlefield, you may exile an artifact card from your hand.
Variable Colorless (X), Tap: Put a token that's a copy of the exiled card onto the battlefield. X is the converted mana cost of that card.

Card Name:
Chimeric Mass
Mana Cost:
Variable Colorless (X)
Converted Mana Cost:

Types:
Artifact
Card Text:
Chimeric Mass enters the battlefield with X charge counters on it.
1: Until end of turn, Chimeric Mass becomes a Construct artifact creature with "This creature's power and toughness are each equal to the number of charge counters on it."

Notice the bold parts, up there and down here.

You need to cast Chimeric Mass in order to put counters on it. X mana cost = X counters, that means you technically choose the number of counters while casting, during pay casting cost step.

Portal doesn't cast Mass, it just puts copies of it onto the battlefield, therefore the token copy will have 0 counters on it, and if you turn it into a creature it will have P/T = 0/0 and it will be put into a graveyard as an state based effect.
magicman85

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, i wasnt sure because it said converted mana cost and i thought the converted mana cost of x cards was 0 and if you pay 0 it would be 0/0.
Hardtrack

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Small nitpick: You don't decide X during 'pay casting cost step'. You decide on X long before that, around the same time you decide on targets and modes. X is not set by what you pay, what you pay is set by what you decide for X.
Zeph

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nitpick accepted. I was (and I am) a little sick due to hepatic deficiencies and I'm not a rules expert but I have the updated rules from crystalkeep. I was just too lazy to search all the steps involved and that's why I preferred to use the word technically, since I knew I wasn't completely right.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Magic Rulings All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1