Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Necrotic Ooze + Phyrexian Devourer

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Magic Rulings
seedub

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 8:22 am    Post subject: Necrotic Ooze + Phyrexian Devourer Reply with quote

with necrotic ooze in play and phyrexian devourer in the graveyard, will ooze die if u activate the ability and its power is greater than 6?

i realize ooze doesnt gain static abilities: its important to know that devourer has an errata. its ability now reads:

"Exile the top card of your library: Put X +1/+1 counters on Phyrexian Devourer, where X is the exiled card's converted mana cost. If Phyrexian Devourer's power is 7 or greater, sacrifice it."

the confusion comes in because the ability specifically cites the name of the card, which isnt present on ooze; so does ooze ignore the last part of the ability based on not being named "Phyrexian Devourer"? seems like it should but also seems to go against the spirit of the ability and ive never seen any kind of ruling on card card with an ability that names itself but is on a card with a different name.
memobaena

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i think the ooze does not ignore that last part of the devourer 's ability, because as far as i know when a card says "card name" it means "This Object". which means in the ability reads like : "Exile the top card of your library: Put X +1/+1 counters on "this object", where X is the exiled card's converted mana cost. If "this object" power is 7 or greater, sacrifice it."

so the ability for the ooze reads "Exile the top card of your library: Put X +1/+1 counters on "necrotic ooze", where X is the exiled card's converted mana cost. If "necrotic ooze" power is 7 or greater, sacrifice it."

i hope i've given you a clear answer. excuse my english is not my native language.
AMER

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Devourer has been errata'd to say "Exile the top card of your library: Put X +1/+1 counters on Phyrexian Devourer, where X is the exiled card's converted mana cost. If Phyrexian Devourer's power is 7 or greater, sacrifice it"

If you use the ability with necrotic ooze, and let it resolve the Ooze will have to be sacrificed.

You get to see the card before you choose to let it resolve, you cna do it again with it still on the stack.
seedub

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

memobaena wrote:
Well i think the ooze does not ignore that last part of the devourer 's ability, because as far as i know when a card says "card name" it means "This Object". which means in the ability reads like : "Exile the top card of your library: Put X +1/+1 counters on "this object", where X is the exiled card's converted mana cost. If "this object" power is 7 or greater, sacrifice it."

so the ability for the ooze reads "Exile the top card of your library: Put X +1/+1 counters on "necrotic ooze", where X is the exiled card's converted mana cost. If "necrotic ooze" power is 7 or greater, sacrifice it."

i hope i've given you a clear answer. excuse my english is not my native language.

thank you

AMER wrote:
Devourer has been errata'd to say "Exile the top card of your library: Put X +1/+1 counters on Phyrexian Devourer, where X is the exiled card's converted mana cost. If Phyrexian Devourer's power is 7 or greater, sacrifice it"

If you use the ability with necrotic ooze, and let it resolve the Ooze will have to be sacrificed.

You get to see the card before you choose to let it resolve, you cna do it again with it still on the stack.

it helps to read the whole statement if youre going to answer someones rules question. u clearly didnt or ud realize i already pointed out the errata myself
WildCard
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This combo has been used in Legacy in some survival builds. With the Devourer and a triskilion on the yard, you now have a card that removes the top card of your library to put counters on him and use them to ping your opponent. IF you happen to reveal a card that would bring the oozez power to greater then 7, just keep that ability on the stack and respond to it by revealing another, until you kill your opponent..
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Magic Rulings All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1