Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Duel Casting and Duel Canceling

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Magic Rulings
rdeg87

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can cast a spell and without passing priority you can then cast another spell while the first remains on the stack. However the second spell you cast can only be an instant, for example you can cast 2 jace's Ingenuity and then pass priority to your opponent. However these spells still use the stack and will resolve one at a time. There is very rarely any reason to cast 2 spells like this. So to answer your question you cannot cast 2 Soul Wardens like this. And even if you found a way to cast creatures at instant speed, they would still resolve 1 at a time so they would not see each other enter play.
Also Cancel can only target one spell and so can only counter one
magicman85

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this rule is similar to the Valakut, Molten Pinnacle/Harrow rule when there are already 4 Mountains out.

A situation where you could have 2 Soul Wardens come out at the same time would be if you used a Defense of the Heart and then used it to pull out 2 Soul Wardens (and yes they would trigger each other's abilities).

You can't "dual cast" cards from your hand. After you play a spell or ability priority is passed to your opponent to give him the opportunity to respond.
rdeg87

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just ignore what magicman said he's wrong about pretty much everything he said
Hardtrack

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

magicman85 is actually correct.

You can't cast two creatures at once, you can only ever cast one spell at a time.

If you however put two creatures onto the battlefield (Defense of the Heart is one of the many cards that does that) then they will see each enter play and trigger of each other.
rdeg87

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok apologies magicman, I was too lazy to look up what Defence of the Heart does, I assumed it was something that allowed you to play creatures as Instants. Yes if an effect puts 2 creatures into play then they will see each other enter play and they will both trigger.

However that is not what Finalword asked. He asked was it possible to cast two spells at once, and as I previously stated you can if the second spell is an instant.

The example he gave was of casting 2 Soul Wardens at the same time not using some effect to put them into play. Everything I said previously answers his question. Magicman is still wrong about priority being immediatly passed after you cast a spell.
magicman85

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rdeg87 wrote:
Magicman is still wrong about priority being immediatly passed after you cast a spell.

Yes, I was wrong about that.

116.3c If a player has priority when he or she casts a spell, activates an ability, or takes a special action, that player receives priority afterward.

Thank you for the correction. I want to learn the rules better.
dAEdaL
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hardtrack wrote:
You can't cast two creatures at once, you can only ever cast one spell at a time.

Disagree!

edit: Read rulings. Undisagree. XP
seedub

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hardtrack wrote:
magicman85 is actually correct.

If you however put two creatures onto the battlefield (Defense of the Heart is one of the many cards that does that) then they will see each enter play and trigger of each other.

100% correct

rdeg87 wrote:
However that is not what Finalword asked. He asked was it possible to cast two spells at once, and as I previously stated you can if the second spell is an instant.

but they still resolve one at a time, so even with something like brilliant ultimatum letting you stack 2 creature spells the 2 soul wardens wouldnt trigger each other; only the first would trigger
rdeg87

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
but they still resolve one at a time, so even with something like brilliant ultimatum letting you stack 2 creature spells the 2 soul wardens wouldnt trigger each other; only the first would trigger

How about you read my original post as opposed to taking something I said out of context. I already mentioned that they will resolve one at a time
Hardtrack

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can not cast two spells at once, not even with things like Brilliant Ultimatum. You may be casting several spells during the resolution of one other spell, but they are still cast in a certain order. You need to have a certain order, because otherwise you would not know in which order they resolve.

You can cast two spells one after the other without your opponent being able to do something about it, yes. But that's not the same as casting two spells at once.
spudfuss

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you have a counter and your opp cast something like brilliant ultimatum you should probably counter it rather than have to worry about countering the two dudes afterward
fenixmatt

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay, I am putting this in here just to be argumentative, but with Splice onto Arcane you can kinda sorta cast two spells at once.

(yes I know that isn't how it works, but I can't believe this is a conversation, so I decided to throw a wrench in there.
Hardtrack

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, this discussion has run its course.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Magic Rulings All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1