Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Elves! vs Valakut SB?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
danHMK

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:23 pm    Post subject: Elves! vs Valakut SB? Reply with quote

So today... and almost everytime playing against Valakut Ramps I win match 1. Beign faster than them gives me the winning advantage, however game 2, post SB, it's quite different and I tend to loose unless I get lucky.

Main Deck
4 Oran-Rief, the Vastwood
14 Forest
4 Copperhorn Scout
2 Sylvan Ranger
3 Ezuri, Renegade Leader
4 Elvish Archdruid
3 Nissa's Chosen
4 Fauna Shaman
4 Joraga Warcaller
4 Joraga Treespeaker
4 Llanowar Elves
4 Arbor Elf
3 Eldrazi Monument
3 Nissa Revane

Sideboard

2 Genesis Wave
3 Acidic Slime
3 Plummet
2 Tajuru Preserver
4 Leyline of Vitality
1 Ezuri, Renegade Leader

This is my sb. I've tried 3 different strategies but I don't know which one is the correct one.

1st: 3 Leylines + 3 Acidic Slime -> doesn't seem to work due to slowness.

2nd: 3 Acidic Slime -> still too slow, doesn't save me from Pyroclasms.

3rd: 4 Leylines of Vitality -> the one that's worked better for me. I don't know if it was just because of good luck or if it was really ok. The way I thought and think about it is that it will make my creatures resistant against Pyroclasms and it will give me life so that opp needs more mountains to kill me.

However, I don't know if this is ok and I don't need to rely on luck that much.
gypsy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4 verdan catacombs
4 sylvan ranger
1 swamp

4 memoricide sideboard
P_P4E

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its just not a good matchup. There is very little you can do against this deck, hence why I would not play elves right now.
fenixmatt

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

4 Leyline of Vitality is a MUST. Hope you get two in the opening hand as it nuetralizes pyroclasm. Also you will be gaining so much life that it's hard to burn you down before you can get your damage in.

You need to bring in the genesis waves as well. With the leylines you gain enough life that they can't kill you immediately, but it doesn't take long with 2-3 Valkuts in play for the damage to rack up and they can also play defense until they get the board position they want. Genesis Wave will give you a board position they simply can't deal with. 15 Elves in play with 2 or 3 Leylines and you sitting at 40+ life is just too much before you swing for lethal.

Also you need Tectonic Edge... you don't want them to get any more than one shot with the Valakuts.
tWo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stucco wrote:
I tried splashing white for Brave the Elements. It's a really difficult match up to say the least.

Yes. Brave the elements is key to protect all your white elves
fenixmatt

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait you tried to splash Brave the Elements to protect your White Elves vs damage from a colorless land?

Did you read the card?
Jacois

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was an honest mistake.
danHMK

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fenixmatt wrote:
Also you need Tectonic Edge... you don't want them to get any more than one shot with the Valakuts.

I'm not sure about this. There are only 18 lands,removing lands and adding Tectonic Edge might screw my mana. Starting with 1 land is not a problem with the deck the way it is right now, Tectonic Edge might change that. The way I think about it and I agree with you is Leylines and try to be faster than them. Tectonic Edge and Acidic Slime would completly change the idea and it might get slower.

Anyway, thanks a lot for answering the question.
As for the other guys who answered:

Memoricide= black and slow.
Brave the elements= lol.

Oh, and also Elves are great in the format. It's a deck that is very consistent. Valakut is quite a difficult match but let's be honest, every deck no matter how great it is has a difficult match. There is no deck that will win every match every time, so if you think that if you lost one match or it has a difficult one makes your deck not worthy, it's impossible for me to agree to that.

Besides it's not impossible to win against Valakut Smile. Yesterday's finals where Valakut vs Elves! and I managed to win 2-1. ^^
gypsy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ya 4 mana is so slow in the elf deck and i just said how easy it is to get black mana, trust me i played elves for a bit and that is the best way to beat valakut
danHMK

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gypsy wrote:
ya 4 mana is so slow in the elf deck and i just said how easy it is to get black mana, trust me i played elves for a bit and that is the best way to beat valakut

To be honest, the idea sounds cool but I hate splashes Razz. I want to try and keep it monoG. Thanks for the advice anyway ^^.
Jacois

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just out of curiousity, what would you name for memoricide?
danHMK

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jacois wrote:
Just out of curiousity, what would you name for memoricide?

Primeval Titan?
fenixmatt

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In this case you think of Tectonic Edge as a spell, you do not replace a land with it.

Also I wouldn't run 4 of them. You are running through your deck fast enough to get to one if you run it as a 2 or 3 of. The object is not to kill EVERY Valakut, it's to slow them down enough to swing for the win. One Valakut isn't a problem for you. Two or three is a major problem.

Also Acidic Slime is bad. You can't cast it on their turn. They are going to get Valakut and start pouring on the love with Cultivate and Explore immediately, you can't wait for your turn to cast Slime(which cost 5). You want Edges in play so you can kill a Valakut the moment you get priority.

I really can't stress how much Genesis Wave helps in this matchup. If you It gets you Leylines, Ezuri, Monument and Nissa, all witch are crippling on the board for them. Don't cast what you have in hand if you have big mana for Genesis Chamber, you can cast what's in your hand with the lands you will get from Chamber.

Unless they have 3 Valakuts in play(not impossible for the deck), you are pretty safe if you are sitting at 40+ life. and as long as you have multiple Leylines or Eldrazi Monument in play your board position is pretty safe from them too.

One other thing I noticed, you run 3 Momument. I would cut that down to 2. Monument is a Finisher, you don't want it in your hand early. Also flipping 2 from a Genesis Chamber is maddening.
danHMK

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fenixmatt wrote:
In this case you think of Tectonic Edge as a spell, you do not replace a land with it.

Also I wouldn't run 4 of them. You are running through your deck fast enough to get to one if you run it as a 2 or 3 of. The object is not to kill EVERY Valakut, it's to slow them down enough to swing for the win. One Valakut isn't a problem for you. Two or three is a major problem.

Also Acidic Slime is bad. You can't cast it on their turn. They are going to get Valakut and start pouring on the love with Cultivate and Explore immediately, you can't wait for your turn to cast Slime(which cost 5). You want Edges in play so you can kill a Valakut the moment you get priority.

I really can't stress how much Genesis Wave helps in this matchup. If you It gets you Leylines, Ezuri, Monument and Nissa, all witch are crippling on the board for them. Don't cast what you have in hand if you have big mana for Genesis Chamber, you can cast what's in your hand with the lands you will get from Chamber.

Unless they have 3 Valakuts in play(not impossible for the deck), you are pretty safe if you are sitting at 40+ life. and as long as you have multiple Leylines or Eldrazi Monument in play your board position is pretty safe from them too.

One other thing I noticed, you run 3 Momument. I would cut that down to 2. Monument is a Finisher, you don't want it in your hand early. Also flipping 2 from a Genesis Chamber is maddening.

Hmm. I get it, will think what to do to have those Tectonic Edges.
And nope, Genesis Wave says: "you may put into battlefield..." It doesn't matter if I get all 3 monuments or 3 Ezuris Razz.
fenixmatt

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually it still does suck... you want to be sacrificing 2 creatures a turn?
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2