Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

OverExtended/ExtendedPlus - Banlist

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic
Farseer
Level 3 Judge

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:11 am    Post subject: OverExtended/ExtendedPlus - Banlist Reply with quote

ExtendedPlus/Extended+/OverExtended

This format includes all sets and editions printed since Mercadian Masques (for editions that is 7th edition and up).
There are currently no banned cards in ExtendedPlus.

Banlist suggestions here.

If we got a good list, I'll run some minis.

-----

v0.1

Banned cards:
Skullclamp

Last edited by Farseer on Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Miqo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:36 am    Post subject: Ext+ Banlist Reply with quote

Combo cards that could be considered worth banning in my personal opinion:

- Skullclamp
- Mind's Desire

Since that might not be enough to nerf combo significantly enough to bring forth the control lists which could beat Elves, for example (it would definitely still be a broken deck players have to hate against), an engine piece from Elves being banned is one suggestion on my personal list. F.e. Glimpse of Nature, Nettle Sentinel, Heritage Druid or even Summoner's Pact, something needs to go.

Finally, because I don't see a deck that needs to be hated against on every SB in order for players win games against it being a part of a "healthy" format, I'll state that something from Dredge should be added to the list. Even if the deck is very fragile when face to face with the SB card. Banning of Skullclamp would either way remove the Leylines of the Voids from MB of decks, which would give the already strong deck more potential. Hate me for saying this, but Cabal Therapy is one option, as weird as that might seem at first glance. Dredge would lose its ability to flashback hand disruption against Ravenous Traps or Faerie Macabres effectively in every game where they get their engine started.

EDIT: I didn't mention any combo pieces control decks could play. Doesn't mean I don't think they would be broken after these restrictions, or that I don't think they should be banned. Thepths combos to give two examples. I might be getting too crazy with these personal opinions but w/e you kinda asked for it.
gypsy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

having multiple combo decks actually make formats fun
Miqo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gypsy wrote:
having multiple combo decks actually make formats fun

Laughing so fun not even you are playing it.
MikeL123

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure there are some cards that could be identified beforehand and banned, but it might make sense to just start with a clean slate and ban as needed once you begin seeing results. It wouldn't take too many tournaments to quickly identify the problem cards.

I guess I'm saying I'd err on the side of caution. Better to leave a few broken cards in the format for a few tournaments, than to preemptively ban a card that doesn't need banning.
Farseer
Level 3 Judge

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is the banlist has been "nothing" for a while now and this format isn't played at all.
Chefy
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The format only gets bimonthly trials. That is probably the real cause of not having popularity. Also, the rise in RFTs does cause a decline in Other formats across the board.
NahHolmes

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EmoNinjaSuck wrote:
The format only gets bimonthly trials. That is probably the real cause of not having popularity. Also, the rise in RFTs does cause a decline in Other formats across the board.

Or because it's a bad format. It is like Legacy minus lots of the good cards, or it's like old Extended, one of the least popular sanctioned formats of all time, plus about 2 blocks.
Eldariel
Level 3 Judge

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we want to make the format slightly more fair, the 3 cards to consider for banning are:
Skullclamp
Mind's Desire
Gush

Each of those three creates an archetype strong enough to force heavy metagaming against it or just plain losing. Desire is probably the least powerful of the three due to the low number of efficient mana artifacts and lack of efficient tutors. It's much like Legacy minus LED and Lotus Petal.

Next up is probably Gush; it definitely fuels Gush-based aggro/control in such a way that there's little sanity in playing anything else blue-based. Stuff that can't use Gush as well such as Merfolk, Countertop and company is just hopelessly outpowered in the equation.

Finally, probably the most banworthy card is Skullclamp which singlehandedly creates degenerate combo decks, infinitely resilient aggro decks and is an auto-include in basically everything that plays creatures. Even one Skullclamp trigger pulls one player so far ahead that he's more or less won the game unless the opponent does something equally degenerate (like casts Gush for mana and cards, or activates a Clamp of his own).
Weedmonkey

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I went through and wrote an article on banned/restricted cards for Ext+ (which I may finish in the next couple of weeks now i have access to the contents of my laptop's hard drive), I came to the following conclusions:

BANNED:

- Skullclamp

This was the only card I found worthy of banning, and even then it was a difficult call. When I investigated potentially banning the 'clamp, the arguments I made for it were based on overall format health and enjoyment (since this is an Other format after all), rather than results demonstrating it warped the format.

This will always be a card that will have both sides campaigning hard for either it's banning or unbanning.

--------------------------------------------

CARDS TO WATCH:

- Gush

This was the only card I found to be worth watching for. Eldariel's right in that the card does create an issue with warping the options Blue has available (although I disagree to the extent that Eldariel argues), but I haven't seen anything absurdly powerful coming from it.

Everything else I didn't see a reason behind banning Smile
center
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meh

I would actually like to see the format before banhammering anything at the start.
center
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I am also not very fond of having a card banned only because people complain about it.
derflippi
Level 4 Judge

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samurai of the Pale Curtain, Leyline of the Void, Chalice of the Void.. There are many cards that easily beat Skullclamp.
Ansore

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:28 am    Post subject: ... Reply with quote

CMA-Flippi wrote:
Samurai of the Pale Curtain, Leyline of the Void, Chalice of the Void.. There are many cards that easily beat Skullclamp.

not leyline. Play elves with clamp, leyline doesn't beat it... Will you exile my 1/1 insect tokens?
Farseer
Level 3 Judge

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If no banned list means the format effectively becomes Clamp vs. Anti-Clamp decks, then the format is unhealthy.

Especially since R&D have admitted that Clamp was a last minute development error.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2