Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

EDH - 1v1 Rules and Banlist

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic
Farseer
Level 3 Judge

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:03 am    Post subject: EDH - 1v1 Rules and Banlist Reply with quote

As the multiplayer ban list isn't suitable for 1v1 play on #M-L, I'd like to develop a more balanced list.

Suggestions welcome and encouraged!

---------------------------------------------------------

Deck Construction Rules

1. Players must choose a legendary creature as the "General" for their deck.

2. The General's mana cost defines what colour of mana symbols may appear on cards in the deck.

3. A deck may not generate mana outside its colours. If an effect would generate mana of an illegal colour, it generates colourless mana instead.

4. An EDH deck must contain exactly 100 cards, including the General.

5. With the exception of basic lands, no two cards in the deck may have the same english name.

Play rules

6. EDH 1v1 games are best of 3.

7. The start of game procedure for EDH is as follows:
(i) Players announce their choice of General and move that card to the command zone.
(ii) Players may then sideboard if the optional rules for sideboards are being used.
(iii) Each player draws a hand of seven cards.
(iv) Players may mulligan, using the modified "Partial Paris" method.

Partial Paris Mulligan rule: In turn order, players may exile (face down) some or all of the cards in their hand. Each player then draws one less card from their deck than the number they exiled. Players who exiled at least one card may return to step 1 and repeat the process, drawing one less card each time. Players shuffle all exiled cards into their deck.

8. Being a General is not a characteristic[MTG CR109.3], it is a property of the card. As such, "Generalness" cannot be copied or overwritten by continuous effects, and does not change with control of the card.

9. If a player has been dealt 21 points of combat damage by a particular General during the game, that player loses a game.

10. While a General is in the command zone, it may be cast. As an additional cost to cast a General from the command zone, its owner must pay {2} for each time it was previously cast from the command zone. (ie: it costs 6WW to cast for the third time.)

11. If a General would be put into a graveyard or exile from anywhere, its owner may choose to move it to the command zone instead.

12. Players begin the game with 40 life.

13. Generals are subject to the "Legend rule". They will be put into the graveyard or command zone at the same time as any other Legendary creatures with the same name.

Banlist v0.3

Banned Cards:
(Cannot be used maindeck; cannot be used as a general)
# Ancestral Recall
# Balance
# Braids, Cabal Minion
# Black Lotus
# Channel
# Fastbond
# Karakas
# Library of Alexandria
# Lion's Eye Diamond
# Mana Crypt
# Mox Emerald
# Mox Jet
# Mox Pearl
# Mox Ruby
# Mox Sapphire
# Necropotence
# Painter's Servant
# Protean Hulk
# Rofellos, Llanowar Emissary
# Sol Ring
# Staff of Domination
# Time Vault
# Time Walk
# Tinker
# Tolarian Academy
# Yawgmoth's Bargain
# Yawgmoth's Will
# Worldgorger Dragon

Banned as a Generals:
(Can be used maindeck; but cannot be used as a general)
# Erayo, Soratami Ascendant
# Vendillion Clique

Watch List:
(Cards that might be banned; opinions wanted!)
# Biorhythm
# Coalition Victory
# Crucible of Worlds
# Gifts Ungiven
# Kokusho, the Evening Star
# Life from the Loam
# Limited Resources
# Mana Drain
# Metalworker
# Mind Twist
# Oath of Druids
# Panoptic Mirror
# Recurrning Nightmare
# Sway of the Stars
# Upheaval

Last edited by Farseer on Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:44 am; edited 15 times in total
pascal3000
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally someone listening =D

Banned Generals: Clique needs to go! I started playing this format and laughed at clique being too good... I started playing her with a really suboptimal selfbuilt list and went 24-1 on magic-league, only losing to THE MIRROR, despite playing terribly. Its the single most broken general and a well built, well played clique just DOESNT LOSE!
If you want a healthy and fun format, ban clique. Im saying this despite being in love with full-control decks and clique in EDH, because im more interested in the long term well-being of this format on ML then crushing some noobs with clique =D

You can think about banning Erayo, as the main reason its not crushing the format right now, is the fact that Clique keeps her in check. With clique gone, Erayo would probably start becoming a problem.

Banned Cards: The banlist used now is made a) as a guideline for players and b) with multiplayer in mind.

A lot of the listed cards are fair in 1on1 and dont need to be banned, while some really broken 1on1 cards are missing on the list.

# Sway of the Stars
# Upheaval

# Ancestral Recall
# Balance
# Biorhythm
# Black Lotus
# Channel
# Coalition Victory
# Fastbond
# Gifts Ungiven
# Karakas
# Kokusho, the Evening Star
# Library of Alexandria
# Limited Resources
# Lion's Eye Diamond
# Metalworker
# Mox Pearl
# Mox Emerald
# Mox Ruby
# Mox Sapphire
# Mox Jet
# Painter's Servant
# Panoptic Mirror
# Protean Hulk
# Recurrning Nightmare
# Staff of Domination
# Time Vault
# Time Walk
# Tinker
# Tolarian Academy
# Worldgorger Dragon
# Yawgmoth's Bargain

Red cards are unnecessary, yellow cards might be unbannable.

Missing cards:
Sol Ring !!!!!!!
Mana Crypt !!!!!!
Necropotence
Shahrazad (technical problems)
Yawgmoth's Will

Mind Twist
Life from the Loam
Mana Drain
Crucible of Worlds
Oath of Druids

Red cards NEED! to be banned, yellow cards are woth considering.
Malakai97
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erayo is far, far more dominant than clique.
OldBear

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you do not ban gifts, sharuum is pretty broken.
gypsy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats why u should not change the ban list
YTheAlien

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erayo deserves to be banned. There is nothing fair about Erayo.dec. If it works, you just get up on the table with your dick in your hand on turn one and start laughing. I'll trust this dude saying Clique should be banned as a general although the real problem is the consistency and resilience of monoblue control and not specifically a powerful general (disclaimer: I have never played against Clique).

You can probably ban Academy Ruins instead of Gifts I guess? I'd personally leave both of them unbanned unless it starts getting out of hand, but especially without Yawgmoth's Will the strength of your Gifts piles is gonna get way worse.

Recurring Nightmare does not deserve to be banned. Neither does Dragon (no one is ever going to play Dragon). Shahrazad I understand if you really feel the need to ban it, but a) no one is ever going to play Shahrazad b) you can simply immediately concede the subgame before you even shuffle up, thus turning it into nothing more than a very undercosted burn spell.

I wouldn't support banning anything on your watchlist yet.
Farseer
Level 3 Judge

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on the above comments, first draft ban list and watchlist posted.

Comments?
pascal3000
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I meant Generals in addition to the current bannings. Rofellos was fine when controlled by Vendillion Clique and Erayo, but now isnt anymore and Braids is just broken. Keep those 2 banned.

Other than that, it seems really good. The main part being that central problem cards of the format are adressed, which is great to see (sol ring, mana crypt and will)
Farseer
Level 3 Judge

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pascal3000 wrote:
I meant Generals in addition to the current bannings. Rofellos was fine when controlled by Vendillion Clique and Erayo, but now isnt anymore and Braids is just broken. Keep those 2 banned.

Other than that, it seems really good. The main part being that central problem cards of the format are adressed, which is great to see (sol ring, mana crypt and will)

I think Sol Ring had to go because there should not be "staple" cards in a healthy M:TG format.

---

[15:15] <%TFalcon25> worldgorger + any reanimate enchant = infinite loops

#banned
YTheAlien

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd also ban Rofellos and Braids maindeck.

@Farseer the thing is, no one is going to play Dragon. I mean there is a legal card that has no function except to cause a draw, but it's kept in check by the fact that no one plays it.
Farseer
Level 3 Judge

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any more thoughts or would people be happy to start trying for minis with this list?
pascal3000
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As i said, add the 2 generals, but i would be really happy to see this list being used and to see more EDH minis <3

Go Farseer!
Farseer
Level 3 Judge

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generals added to banned list.
pascal3000
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make it BO3 imo! With such a fast and coinflippy format in certain matchups, Bo3 would greatly improve the fairness and fun of minis.

Waiting 1.5 hours for a mini to fill to lose ONE GAME is also pretty retarded
Farseer
Level 3 Judge

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed, match losses for game loss penalties is pretty harsh.

I'll try it best of 3 as and see if it works out.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2