Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sealed pool for PTQ Paris

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Limited
Fidelis

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A reason you lost some games I feel was that there was difficulty in achieving metalcraft. I might have cut the Wardens for an Auriok Replica and Golem Artisan. That was you have 12 artifacts to turn on Rusted Relic who is rather fragile in this deck.

On second thought -1 Relic, -1 Warden +1 Replica +1 Artisan
BlackPen

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't beat yourself too much about it, even though you had a lot of bomby cards your pool goes in a lot of directions and seems like a tough one to build. It would be nice to know how you lost your matches though.

Did people aggro you out? were you unable to attritian? did you get colored screwed?

The first thing i notice is that you only play 5 mountains. This should be 7 imo, I know you only have 3 red cards, but they are pretty important and 11 white sources(counting myr) will be enough to hit all of your white spells in a timely manner.

More about the actual deck. I think you have the right colors. Other ways i might build the deck would be with white with geth and scrapmelters. An obvious problem with your deck is that your are missing out on a lot of your most powerful cards and playing weaker alternatives. arrest is much better than dispense justice (maybe you should play both, but arrest needs to be in). Also golemn artisan is super powerful and able to dominate games alone and is much better than saberclaw golem.

About the strategey of your deck. IMO you definately want to build around your bombs. I feel like if you hit your land drops and don't die eventually you can end the game with your bombs. This means playing all of your on color removal, and playing defensive dudes like neurok replica and the wardens. It also means you wont be able to do a lot the cute stuff you might want. Hitting metal craft will be tougher so rusted relic might not be right. I'm not even sure if the tumble magnet/glint hawk is right for this deck.

Anyway in the end your deck had most of the right ideas. It is even possible that the deck you had built was good enough, but you made too many mistakes in the games. It is important to reflect play as much as it is to reflect on deck construction expecially in a format with so many complex interactions.
BL

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would play it like this:

1 Elspeth Tirel
1 Sunblast Angel
1 True Conviction
1 Arrest
1 Glint Hawk
1 Revoke Existence
2 Oxidda Scrapmelter
1 Turn to Slag

1 My Battlesphere
1 Darksteel Axe
1 Golem Artisan
1 Rusted Relic
1 Origin Spellbomb
1 Auriok Replica
1 Glint Hawk Idol
1 Copper Myr
1 Gold Myr
2 Tumble Magnet
1 Vulshok Replica
1 Saberclaw Golem
1 Trigon of Mending

Your pool has powerful cards, but like all sealed pools in this format, it is diffucult to built 100% correctly. Criminal not to include Artisan, Arrest and the off color myr though.

You could try a different route cutting the red cards(keeping Vulshok Replica) and including the Soliton/Arbalest package along with Neurok Replica and the two blue bombs: the actual bomb and the Reins.

Rusted Relic should be played, so Auriok Replica and even Trigon of Mending are a must, since they also complement what the deck tries to do. Survive and hit your bombs.

The two Magnets and the Glint Hawk are a gift and the deck wouldn't be able to perform w/o them.
OldBear

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I can only go by what you've said i think I agree with your reasoning for why you lost. Which is a positive thing as it gives you plenty to work on.
Ashmatan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I would have gone with a 41 card variant. Don't exactly know if W/R or W/U would have been "better", but I'll stick with your colors.
In order according to CMC from least to greatest:

Salvage Scout
Origin Spellbomb
Glint hawk
Darksteel Axe
Revoke Existence
Copper Myr
Gold Myr
Glint Hawk Idol
Dispense Justice
Arrest
Myr Propagator-> Obv. good for metalcraft and Battlesphere
2 x Tumble Magnet
Vulshok Replica
2 x Oxidda Scrapmelter
2 x Ghalma's Warden
Elspeth
Golem Artisan
Turn to Slag
Sunblast Angel
True Conviction
Myr Battlesphere
10 x Plains
7 x Mountain

11 Artifacts with 2 that make more for your metalcraft bonuses. Salvage Scout was added to make your opponent's silver bullets not so good mid-game.
[-a-L-e-]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My build:

1:
Glint Hawk
Darksteel Axe
Origin Spellbomb

2:
Revoke Existence
Copper Myr
Glint Hawk Idol
Gold Myr

3:
Dispense Justice
Arrest
Myr Propagator
Vulshok Replica
Auriok Replica
Neuriok Replica
Tumble Magnet
Tumble Magnet

4:
Oxidda Scrapmelter
Oxidda Scrapmelter
Rusted Relic

5:
Elspeth Tirel
Turn to Slag
Golem Artisan

6:
Sunblast Angel
True Conviction

7+:
Myr Battlesphere

24 spell+7 mountain+9 plains=40 cards.

With this decklist you've 12 artifacts cc4 or less...you've not a lot of metalcraft cards so 12 is more than enough, but ruster relic is a guy that i want to be active, and dispence justice is not an awesome card, so i want at least to do a 2x1 with it.

If there's some more aggro cards it was an option to do a -1 neuriok replica +1 blue spellbomb, but your deck want to cast his 6-7 mana bombs, not to do "land spellbomb, land hawk spellbomb, land axe-equip-attack" , so...

The myr propagator i think was obligatory, it does everything you want: gives you tempo for casting your bombs at high casting cost, gives you metalcraft and it gives you a lot of creatures. (true convinction is smiling at that, even if a 1/1 double strike is not was you're looking for.)

There's the "Ghalma's Warden" thing, too. In my list there's zero of them, but i think that at least one has to be played, but i don't know what to take out, i was thinking to the vulshock or neurok replica (which would take the artifacts counts to 11, but whatever, are enough for only 3 midgame metalcraft cards.)

I've tried to build a uw, splashing red for the two oxidda, but after i came out with a list of playables i realized that i wouldn't play a tricolor deck with a UUU and WWW (they're on top of the curve, ok, but...), plus soliton+harbalest are happy to see islands, so tricolor is impossible. After cutting the two oxidda i took out two other cards that normally i love, but in this deck are not so awesome: glint hawk and riddlesmith. glint hawk here is great only with axe and magnet, and by the way the people think that do hawk bouncing magnet is giving you a lot of time 'cause of the "six-tap-effect-instead of three", but it's not 'cause magnet tap only one creature at the time...it's a card to race your opponent not to give you tempo, most of the time. In the end i took the last cards, that was riddlesmith. You've not tons of artifacts and 'cause of the "nature" of your deck i think you don't want to draw-discard more than one or two times, so it's not so awesome like normally he is.
That's the decklist after sb against slow decks:

8 island, 8 plains

1:
Darksteel Axe
Origin Spellbomb

2:
Revoke Existence
Copper Myr
Glint Hawk Idol
Gold Myr

3:
Dispense Justice
Arrest
Myr Propagator
Auriok Replica
Neuriok Replica
Tumble Magnet
Tumble Magnet
Heavy Arbalest
Heavy Arbalest

4:
Darkslick Drake
Rusted Relic

5:
Elspeth Tirel
Golem Artisan
Soliton
Soliton

6:
Sunblast Angel
True Conviction
Volition Reins

7+:
Myr Battlesphere

8-8 i think it's the number for this list, 'cause of the gold myr and the soliton-harbalest.

In the end i think i would play the RW i've posted, and i sideboard in the blue for the mirrors of slow decks, playing the list i've posted now. Let me know what you think about that, i've lost a final of a gp-trial for the gp florence right this afternoon and i'm a little pissed off 'cause i've lost because of a misplay and i want to prove myself that i'm not so bad XD (instead my english is bad for sure, indeed)
spudfuss2

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think i play the three color deck.

sunblast
elspeth
true conviction
arrest
dispense justice
riddlesmith
barrage ogre
oxidda scrapmelter 2
mry battlesphere
myr propagator
arbalest 2
copper myr
gold myr
origin spellbomb
soliton 2
tumble magnet 2
neurok replica
revoke existence
auroick replica

i like this build only problem with this build i see is the mana curve....
[-a-L-e-]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ck3gds wrote:
Probably if I'd gone tri-color then the correct decision would be to start on the draw. In fact this was something which I encountered in almost all my matches - the winner of the die roll chose to start on the draw.

I can't recall the exact number of times I started on the draw, but I remember winning all those games, because I was able to draw into my bombs more consistently.

yeah, that's correct even with the uw or rw version of the deck, because it's a slow deck that has powerful cc6-7 bombs. It's not only because you draw into bombs more consistently, being on the draw it gives you the possibility of kept a 2 landers hand because you've three draws to see a land, and being of the draw makes your mulligans a little better.

Anyway, how you'd build a tricolor? i've tried but it's really hard, and if you have two bicolors (rw and uw) and both hasn't fillers, why going tricolor without fixers? I'm going tricolor only if my bicolor deck is not powerful, but your rw-uw options...they really are.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Limited All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1