Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ratchet bomb vs Proliferate and some other questions

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Magic Rulings
YvesHenri

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:27 am    Post subject: Ratchet bomb vs Proliferate and some other questions Reply with quote

1 - I have a Ratchet Bomb with 2 counters on it, the opponent has a lot of cost 2 permanents and a Contagion Clasp. I sacrifice Ratchet Bomb and in response he uses the Contagion Clasp ability (proliferate). Does bomb kill all the cost 2 permanents?

2 - I have a Ratchet Bomb with 2 counters on it, the opponent has a lot of cost 2 permanents and a Vampire Hexamage. I sacrifice Ratchet Bomb and in response he sacrifices the Vampire Hexamage. Does the bomb kill all the cost 2 permanents?

Also, stacking damage doesnt work anymore, right?

I had some other questions in mind but I just forgot them... Sad
Please stay around, Ill post them as soon as I remember...
Xerocious

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ratched Bomb has
"T, Sacrifice Ratchet Bomb: Destroy each nonland permanent with converted mana cost equal to the number of charge counters on Ratchet Bomb."

So, while you have priority and activate the ability, the Bomb is gone, before Clasp/Hexmage can change the number of counters on it.
Farseer
Level 3 Judge

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Ratchet bomb vs Proliferate and some other questions Reply with quote

YvesHenri wrote:

Combat damage no longer uses the stack, e.g. you can no longer deal combat damage with Mogg Fanatic and use its activated ability to kill a 2/2 creature blocking it.
YvesHenri

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Ratchet bomb vs Proliferate and some other questions Reply with quote

Farseer wrote:
YvesHenri wrote:

Combat damage no longer uses the stack, e.g. you can no longer deal combat damage with Mogg Fanatic and use its activated ability to kill a 2/2 creature blocking it.

Yea I heard that. That sucks. Why is that by the way?
NahHolmes

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It gives them more room to design creatures with better sac abilities.
Kookie_Mnstr

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xerocious wrote:
Ratched Bomb has
"T, Sacrifice Ratchet Bomb: Destroy each nonland permanent with converted mana cost equal to the number of charge counters on Ratchet Bomb."

So, while you have priority and activate the ability, the Bomb is gone, before Clasp/Hexmage can change the number of counters on it.

but couldn't the person remove the counters off your ratchet bomb in response to you tapping it?
Alphakiller

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when you look at an activated ability, which is an ability containing a colon, (Cost : <== (colon) Effect), Everything before the Colon is a Cost.

what happens is your opponent announces that he is activating ratchet bomb's ability. he pays the costs: tap ratchet bomb, sacrifice ratchet bomb.

now that he has paid for the costs, ratchet bomb's ability is placed on the stack. now that an ability is on the stack, you may respond. the only issue is that there is no longer a ratchet bomb to interact with. since you can't change the number of counters on a permanent that isn't there, the ability can't be changed in that it'll destroy all cost 2 permanents.
Kookie_Mnstr

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahhh thanks for clearing that up
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Magic Rulings All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1